Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Where do I even start if I want to go traditional? I see so many variations on bows. Recurves, stick bows, ILFs, takedowns, etc. I just want something to start flinging some arrows with in the back yard and try the whole instinctive shooting thing out and also something good enough that I can take hunting also. I really want to try taking a deer with traditional equipment shooting instinctively ... something I’ve wanted to do for a long time! What type of bow should I be looking for?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Best of luck...BT/DT
Hats off to those that can and do, I tried and couldn't...a lot harder than most think

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you should start at TradGang.com. Plenty of great beginning reaferences there and a tremendous amount of knowledge.

If you can find someone close to you that currently hunts traditional, they would be a great resource.

Start with a recurve in the 40# range to get the learning process started. If you get hooked, you will be on a challenging, rewarding journey.

I have been at it for over 25 years. Have hunted Florida to Alaska, small game to moose. Selfbows to recurves. Bamboo to carbon arrows, with flint knapped to high precision CNC heads.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with CRS as far as local traditional shooters. If you have 3D shoots in the area go to one and find the traditional groups of archers going through. I almost guarantee that they will be happy to let you shoot through with them. You can get a lot of help at those events. Or a local archery shop with an indoor range might have a traditional group that shoots there. These suggestions will be better when the virus precautions slow down of course. Bow and arrow options are plentiful of course. A local archery shop with traditional archery outfitting experience can help you out a lot. The right equipment can make or break the experience for some, and you don't have to break the bank to start out. What state are you in?

Best of luck!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like to shoot before I buy. If you fortunate enough to have a traditional archery shop with in a days drive I would start there. I didn’t have a shop close, but there was a Tuesday night traditional league at the local archery range. I started hanging around the range on Tuesdays before their league started. Most of the guys were more than willing to share advice and let me shoot their bows.

IC B2

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
RickyBobby, I have shot traditional for 55 years. In a moment of insanity between 1981 and 1983, I shot one of those whirlygadget compound devices. I couldn't hit squat with it. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of G. Fred Asbell's book "Instinctive Shooting". Read it and then re-read it. It has much in the way of good instruction to get you started. Also, Jim Chinn wrote a book called "Wind of Change" that is another excellent volume on traditional archery in general. You are embarking on a wonderful, albeit sometimes frustrating journey into the "mystical flight of the arrow" to quote Ted Nugent. There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching an arrow, especially one made by yourself of wood, arc toward the target and strike where you're aiming. I have posted a take down Palmer Classic recurve in the classifieds, if you're interested. Definitely NOT a beginner bow, but ultra high quality and it will give you an idea of what's out there. PM me if you're interested in pics and I will send some your way. In my opinion, metal handled traditional bows lack "soul", although there many shooters who enjoy them. Feel free to contact me if there's anything else I may be able to help you with, questions I can answer, etc. I built custom longbows for about 11 years and know a thing or two about construction, wood choices, design, etc. Good luck with your new adventure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Start by buying a book called Shooting the Stickbow. You can get it on Amazon for about $20.

Next best advise is to buy and inexpensive 'too light' bow. Learn to shoot with proper form and figure out what you are doing without straining to hold the bow back. Think 30# or less. It's like learning to shoot with a .22lr instead of a 300Win Mag. Learn to shoot, what type of bow you prefer, how you want to shoot it, then spend the money on a nice one. Trad is a lot of fun.

Last edited by centershot; 12/08/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shoot trad.
Like wheels sights and release too.

Bunch of crap on many trad forums...........trad tards.
Even locally, a lot of trad guys are pretty clueless.

Like others have said, start light and mess around, experiment, see what things you like/ don't like.

Started w a glove as a kid and went tab later..............no looking back.
Learned I don't like really short bows, or longer ones. 58" is my pref.

Biggie is grip, and have taken the Dremel to a few to make em how I like em.

Lots of decent inexpensive rigs to get started.
And with the web, some decent YT stuff as well.

But like I said, a lot of info is crap so just beware.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been shooting traditional gear since I was a kid and back then it wasn't as intimidating getting started because that's all that existed. Now with compound bows being so much more common than traditional bows, finding a good archery shop close to home is nearly impossible which can make getting started overwhelming. Montana Marine on this site went down this road a couple of years ago and has posted his progress learning to shoot and some of the bows he's purchased. In addition to some of the books referenced above, searching out some of his posts on this sub-forum may be useful in giving some insight.

Generally, I think most agree that a recurve is easier to learn to shoot than a longbow and is probably the style of bow most would recommend. I'd keep things simple to start - if you go recurve, one-piece vs takedown is a choice you'll have to make. Takedowns seem to be more popular though I prefer the cleaner lines of a one-piece. A takedown has more physical weight and some prefer them for that reason alone whether they have a need or not to break them down. I have one-piece, takedown and ILF recurves and would probably stay away from ILF for now. The adjustability/tuneability of ILF limbs will just add more variables for you when you're trying to learn the basics. I shoot both recurves and longbows and do shoot a recurve more consistently, but actually prefer/enjoy shooting longbows more. Utahunter above mentioned he has experience building longbows - I do as well. I started building my own bows over 30 years ago and for me, a large part of the enjoyment is shooting/hunting with gear I make myself.

As mentioned above, there are traditional archery forums that are good resources - Tradgang.com and Stickbow.com's Leatherwall are two that I frequent. I'd check them out and feel free to ask any specific questions you have.

Edit to add: the single biggest mistake you can make is buying a bow that is too heavy in draw weight. Depending on your physical abilities and wanting to hunt with a bow, probably 40-45 lbs at your draw length would be a good maximum to get started.

Last edited by JGray; 12/08/20.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I guess another thought on onepiece vs takedown recurves is that with a takedown, an initial purchase with lighter limbs, say 30-35 lbs to start learning leaves the door open to add a heavier set of limbs when your ready and want top start hunting. With onepiece bows, its a whole new bow purchase vs just limbs. An ILF setup shines here since limb mounts are universal and the sky is the limit in limb choices.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a black hunter longbow at about #45, and a good string to go with it. Go to YouTube and start watching videos by Tom Clumm, you’ll be ready to hunt in no time.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Utahunter
RickyBobby, I have shot traditional for 55 years. In a moment of insanity between 1981 and 1983, I shot one of those whirlygadget compound devices. I couldn't hit squat with it. Do yourself a favor and get a copy of G. Fred Asbell's book "Instinctive Shooting". Read it and then re-read it. It has much in the way of good instruction to get you started. Also, Jim Chinn wrote a book called "Wind of Change" that is another excellent volume on traditional archery in general. You are embarking on a wonderful, albeit sometimes frustrating journey into the "mystical flight of the arrow" to quote Ted Nugent. There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching an arrow, especially one made by yourself of wood, arc toward the target and strike where you're aiming. I have posted a take down Palmer Classic recurve in the classifieds, if you're interested. Definitely NOT a beginner bow, but ultra high quality and it will give you an idea of what's out there. PM me if you're interested in pics and I will send some your way. In my opinion, metal handled traditional bows lack "soul", although there many shooters who enjoy them. Feel free to contact me if there's anything else I may be able to help you with, questions I can answer, etc. I built custom longbows for about 11 years and know a thing or two about construction, wood choices, design, etc. Good luck with your new adventure.

Hey Utah, you sound familiar. You didn't used to go by "elmbow" on another forum, did you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Nope.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang, I owed him $500 and been trying to pay him back for years....... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have shot Blackwidows off and on for over 30 yrs, had three built, and bought five used.
While metal riser may not have any soul.................I really do like the old Blackwidow HS as far as ANY recurve goes.

My buds have had Bighorns, Elburgs, Chastains, and a bunch of other factory and custom bows.

They're all fun, each had its unique feel/performance.

Factory bows can be downright good too, my Hoyt Dorado riser w Tradtech limbs was a bargain AFAIC.
I just don't like a 19" riser.

ILF is fun, esp if you decide to go with a "fixed crawl". I have had a couple and just set them up like a reg bow and left em.

Here is an informative, long but well done video...........

Last edited by hookeye; 12/08/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If you like to window shop............

https://rmsgear.com/collections/bows-recurves

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Are the Hoyt Satori’s any good?

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hay now.

Good for you wanting to go traditional!

I have two vintage bows I want to sell. I ain't got much invested in them. They are recurves. Pm me if interested

John

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Are the Hoyt Satori’s any good?

FYI, the shortest version doesn't have AMO side holes for a quiver.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not know where you live, but RMS gear in Colorado would be a great trip for you to get started. If that is possible. They have hundreds of used bows and they hold shooting classes. Learning
proper shooting form from the start IS the way to go. You could not get a much better start in this traditional journey than a few days with them.

They are not the only resource, but a very good one.

I have never been a great target/3D archer, but I am a die hard bowhunter. It took me more than a few years for my hunting ability to catch up to my shooting ability. laugh

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 12 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.