Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
>>>>>Going Wolf Hunting in Idaho/Montana.... or BUST<<<<<

You Guys have seen my threads about wanting places to hunt coyote, but after learning more about the wolf problem in Idaho as well as other Western States... my focus has changed. I understand the problem wolves are causing to ranchers, but what really BURNS me is what they are doing to the Big Game. I'm not going to be focused on trying to get some kind of trophy...NOPE... I want to help level the playing field against this threat.... which is getting worse by the minute. I have the time and the money to dive right into the middle of this mess and say..." Here I am.. what can I do to help" But before I take off half cocked, I thought I'd start a thread for any helpful tips or suggestions. Thanks Guys....Dan

Last edited by DanBrothers; 12/04/20.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Shoot every one you can.
Good luck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I remember right Idaho sportsman will pay you $1000 for every dead wolf you get. If I am wrong somebody will correct me.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've been in on 6 of them killed in either Idaho or Montana...and have had a few other opportunities that didn't end up working out.

They make killing coyotes look like an afternoon dove hunt.

Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Be in good shape. Much of Idaho where the wolves hang out is very rough country.

You might contact Idaho Fish and Game for information. Go to idfg.idaho.gov and check out the wolf regs.

Best of luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was Elk hunting in Northern Idaho this year. The guide also trapped wolves. He said hunting them was near impossible but he was very successful trapping them

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Join this group. They'll help you out with anything info you need.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/868825046909360

Ive caught a few glimpses bow hunting in N Idaho this year of wolves and cut tracks all of the time. Im signed up for a wolf trapping class with IDFG in a month if not cancelled. Plan on using snow mobile to set traps

Ive called a few times for them and much more wary than a coyote.

Last edited by ribka; 12/04/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
IDAHO WOLF BOUNTY

However, while 1500 or 2000 sounds like a lot of wolves, there isn't one behind every tree. They're well scattered and you don't run into one every day. For non-res to spend the money come here hunting them, you need to do a lot of research and/or hire a guide who's experienced with finding them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You guys are telling me about a lot of things that I'm also concerned about...WOW. Being it shape is my number one concern. Gotta do some serious thinking and research on this adventure...that's for sure.. LOL.

I will check out the facebook group. When is that trapping class suppose to start? Some videos show guys chasing them hard for a whole week without seeing one... until they do. This would be the Ultimate challenge I believe. We might have to make this a joint team effort with you guys, so that I can have enough... balls support...to take on this adventure...LOL.

My two main concerns are the weather and my physical stamina.

The bounty would be sweet, but it sure isn't the goal at all... just a bonus.

Last edited by DanBrothers; 12/04/20.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Good luck with your hunt...and I mean that sincerely. I’ve developed a real dislike for those creatures. Impressive killers they are and only doing what wolves do, but kill they do, day in and day out.
I live in North Idaho. Wolf sign is everywhere I hunt. I have not seen one in years, but I can’t remember the last time I hunted without seeing wolf sign. I find wolf kills, deer,elk and moose.
It’s sickening. And hunting up here now is mostly a waste of time. I’ve got 5 nice whitetail bucks on the walls of my home from years ago, but I have not even seen a good buck up here in many years. Wolves gotta eat and they do it regularly, I believe the wolves are a major factor in our decreasing deer,elk and moose numbers.
Really sad. That reintroduction of wolves was such an irresponsible decision.
Virtually no way to control their numbers without poison and I suspect that will never happen.
You’ll probably be wasting your time, but I’ll be your biggest cheerleader. Best of luck to you.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That reintroduction of wolves was such an irresponsible decision.

You can say that again Fenton. It makes me mad and i don't even live out there. Whoever pushed the go ahead button on that decision needs to be tied up and left out in wolf country for a few nights of terror....LOL. Coyotes are destroying our deer numbers out here,, but they aren't even in the same league of killing as those wolves are.... I feel for you. Don't your states have Government hunters... someone to clean up this mess.... without depending on the hunters or ranchers to make a mild dent in their populations? I totally understand that my meager efforts would probably be a waste of time, but I gotta do something.... don't I owe it to the innocent big game animal? If the locals can't control this problem... what can I do? It's like you coming out here to control our coyotes... kinda silly...LOL. It's hard to imagine how many big game animals they have killed. The sheep, elk, deer herds must be devastated. Whoever pushed that reintroduction button produced a Holocaust on every living animal... a covid among the animals. Do they still have their jobs? Is anyone being heard responsible? What would happen to a person if he knowingly had covid and tried to spread it all over every human being... surely something more severe than an apology. Wolves are a virus. Some things just have to be stopped and put down... who's doing it?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That reintroduction of wolves was such an irresponsible decision.
It was a long term planned event by the animal rights groups. Their intent, stated as so by themselves, was to use large predators to reduce game animals to the point that hunting would have to be stopped. They spent years getting their people in positions of power in the Fish & Wildlife Svc and the Forest Svc. When they got that done, it was all over.
At least 5 years before the 1st introduction, I read an article in an animal rights magazine stating exactly what they were doing. I thought it was nonsense and threw the magazine away. I've often regretted that as I've had a lot of use for it since then to prove that this was all a planned anti-hunting thing.

Where they screwed up was thinking that wolves would never be delisted and become a big game animal. They learned their lessons from that and we'll never see a grizzly hunt in the lower 48. They proved that a year ago when they stopped the bear hunts in ID, MT, and WY.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Stopped bear season... Heck.... how long will it be before they shut down elk, sheep, moose season... or even limited it to a trickle.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I live here on Lake Marion in Santee SC...which use to be world renown for Large Mouth Bass and Stripers... but they brought in Arkansas Blue Catfish .... and now these lakes here are world renown for blue cats... NOT the bass species anymore.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
Stopped bear season... Heck.... how long will it be before they shut down elk, sheep, moose season... or even limited it to a trickle.
That was just the griz hunt they stopped, not blacks. The feds had authorized the hunting of a few griz in those 3 states. The antis found them an anti federal judge to stop it.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
not easy. 40,000 tags; less than 250 wolves killed. i only have to better than 39,700 others that actually live there. also besides the wilderness and vast, rugged country they live in, it gets quite cold where they live. take some warm high tech clothing. there is a guy on long range hunting that has shot a few . some very long with very accurate rifles

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
do you have snow shoes? many are shot far back trek into wilderness on snowshoes. walking in them very far tires me out

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dan- you found the wolf thread on LRH? i have two 6.5-284s i am ready. i think a 6.5-06 would be better , you can fit more shells and they feed better.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ron.... if your waiting on me... you are going backwards....LOL. Head'em up and Move'em on out.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roninflag
not easy. 40,000 tags; less than 250 wolves killed. i only have to better than 39,700 others that actually live there. also besides the wilderness and vast, rugged country they live in, it gets quite cold where they live. take some warm high tech clothing. there is a guy on long range hunting that has shot a few . some very long with very accurate rifles
What year is your data from? The IDFG shows 45k tags and 188 wolves in 2019.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.