Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Carry on I guess....but I'd put all of this effort and mental gymnastics into how and where to find unpressured birds, than what boots to wear to get to them.

There's likely not a wild pheasant within 800 miles of me so I have been applying no pressure to them. grin I think the CF is full of us that are stuck (for now) in places that don't give us the opportunity to chase as much as we like so we end up over researching and discussing. I'm also cheap so these boots are replacing two others and they will get used for a lot of other stuff and I want them to last for as long as my others have.

Heck if we all got to hunt as much as we wanted I doubt the CF would exist much! It's sure to blame for me having multiple centerfire rifles in .243, .257, 6.5, .270, 7mm and .30 when truthfully they'll all kill anything I'll ever hunt.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a couple of decades I’ve found the relatively cheap Cabala Mountain Hikers work very well for me from the mountain west to pheasants over flat but rough ground. I’m on my fourth pair all long pre-Bass Pro.

My alternate pair are the Browning (were they the Ultralights?) kangaroo hide boots; I don’t see them listed anymore. These are going on over twenty years and they will see me through to the end of my pheasant hunting barring a house fire.

Generally, it’s a safe bet to never scrimp on some stuff — binoc’s, boots, suits, shotguns, and wine. But occasionally, it works. The Cabala’s boots don’t last as long but my feet like them. I don’t even know if they sell them anymore.

Unless you hunt in a high and dry climate I would suggest Gore-Tex and stay light regardless.

ETA: Brownings just like TR’s except a couple inches shorter.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/08/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Understand where you are coming from...and when younger I could hunt in worn out bad boots....Unfortunately, many times old feet tend to tell you when they don't like what they are walking around in....old ankles may need more stabilization....and the knees are most times happier when the feet are happier......Good fitting boots become more important.....

Last edited by battue; 12/08/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wear my Scarpas that you couldn't exactly call bird hunting boots. If it gets cold enough, the Schnees pack boots will come out but dang the thought of walking 7 miles in those is not good. The Scarpas are super stiff and I step in badger holes all the time. They've saved me a few sprains so far.

George, I had a pair of those Kangaroo boots years ago. They were actually very nice till I wore them out. I could see those for long jaunts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Understand where you are coming from...and when younger I could hunt in worn out bad boots....Unfortunately, many times old feet tend to tell you when they don't like what they are walking around in....old ankles may need more stabilization....and the knees are most times happier when the feet are happier......Good fitting boots become more important.....

I certainly am not advocating to not have good ankle support or that worn out boots would be fine. Cold and wet feet are not fun, especially late season and I have knees that may as well be 30 years older than the rest of me. I'm just saying that boots would be low on my list of things to put much thought into, for the hunt the OP is planning to do. Maybe he already has the where to go part figured out...I dunno.

Good luck to the OP in Kansas, with whatever boot he chooses.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.