Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Looking for some as a gift. Anyone have a brand that they have actually used and can reco?

Thanks.

PS. NOT 12v garments. This is not for motorcycle riding.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just bought a Doace vest from Amazon. I don't know if it's the best but it does work well. I've only used it for one weekend, though. A have a 25k mAmp power pack. The vest ran on high for 6 hrs and I still had maybe 1/4 of the power left, going by the # of lights lit up on the pack. The trick is to wear it over something thin (a merino t-shirt in my case) and put plenty of insulation over it to hold the heat in. It appears that they come in either 5v or 7.5v. Mine runs on 5v USB. I think the 7.5v mostly have their own batteries while the 5v run on most cell phone power packs. This one won't run on every pack. My wife has a 10k mAmp pack and it won't run on it at all. It won't even turn on. I don't know what the difference is. It's the pack, not the vest, that's the problem.

This one cost about $60 but it has some down in it for a little extra warmth. I think all of them are made in China but some, not all, do have intelligible instructions with them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a base layer shirt and pants and bought a couple extra batteries. I like them:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=temp+360+battery+heated+clothing&ref=nb_sb_noss

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Find out if the giftee has dewalt or Milwaukee cordless tools that use the Lion batteries. If so, get the coat that uses that battery. They are very nice. 20* with 20mph wind. Nice and toasty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoping to get a heated vest as a Christmas gift. If not, I'll buy one. I bow hunt in cold weather and need to keep the bulk down to avoid string slap on the left arm. I'm thinking a thin layer under, then wool over it to keep in the heat. With nearly bald dome, I'm looking at somehting for the head, too.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I got the milwaukee 9.something jacket.

Mehhh

It would probably roast anyone else, but its so-so for me sitting idle in a deer stand.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For $30 you can get a Milwaukee USB adapter that fits on top of any M18 battery so it can be used in any brand of vest. You'll likely need a USB extension cord, though as keeping a battery of that size in a vest pocket can be a bit cumbersome.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

What I've heard.........

Travis.......AKA Clarke........

has a spare bedroom he rents out real fuggin cheap in Florida

No need for heated anything.......just a gun to kill Gators....

and of course UR golf clubs.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Find out if the giftee has dewalt or Milwaukee cordless tools that use the Lion batteries. If so, get the coat that uses that battery. They are very nice. 20* with 20mph wind. Nice and toasty.

The gifted does not, but her husband does. wink

I know she is not going to carry one of the DeWalt batteries, too. USB will have enough power to extend trail riding in cooler seasons.

What is a good brand name? Anyone know for sure?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
None of them actually kick out a ton of heat.
Vests or hooded sweatshirts that are heated and worn close to your core with an outer layer over all works best for me.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Milwaukee

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

I know she is not going to carry one of the DeWalt batteries,

If the reasoning is bulk or weight, todays lithium Ion batteries are not what they used to be. They are much smaller and lighter.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

Mehhh

It would probably roast anyone else, but its so-so for me sitting idle in a deer stand.

Got one for Christmas one year. Battery is I'll placed for sitting and on high runs out in 2+ hours leaving you with a non isulated garment.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Another option is you can buy the usb heat pads and sew them into you clothing of choice.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut

What I've heard.........

Travis.......AKA Clarke........

has a spare bedroom he rents out real fuggin cheap in Florida

No need for heated anything.......just a gun to kill Gators....

and of course UR golf clubs.........

He probably lied about all that as well.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a cell phone power pack that's 25k mA and is 3"x6"x1/2". It'll give more than 6 hrs of heat running on high, many more hours on lower settings. There are many 10k packs that are half the size but give proportionally fewer hours of heat and don't cost much less.

Correct me if my math is off, but 25k mAh is 25 amp hrs, is it not? Times 5V = 125 watt hrs. A 5AH Milwaukee battery is 5A. Times 18v = 90 watt hrs. Those little power banks pack have a lot of juice.
POWER PACK

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have Snow Deer socks. They work fantastic. I use them when sitting in a stand or sitting in the saddle riding. I have been very happy with them
https://www.electric-socks.com/product/snow-deer-heated-electric-socks/

I also have the Venture heated vest. I really like how the collar heats up and keeps your neck warm
https://www.ventureheat.com/collect...on-vest-sandstone?variant=36173586432162

Just got a pair of heated gloves as well but have not yet used them so no comment on them yet.
http://saviorheat.com/

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have a lot of blood flow around the kidneys in your lower back. A vest or jacket with a good heater there will help a lot.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by slumlord

Mehhh

Got one for Christmas one year. Battery is I'll placed for sitting and on high runs out in 2+ hours leaving you with a non isulated garment.

Exactamundo!!!

That batt sits right about in the kidney. I have webbing seats in my deer stands so it’s not too much of a pain.

But a big YES on the garment serving almost no benefit after the batts run done. I was actually going through all of these ponderings the other day. It’s a damned if you do, damned if you dont scenario.

I dress underneath in a couple of long-johns and a cotton t-sirt. Three layers. I have to be warm when the batts play out, BUT milwaukee recommends the jacket be close to the skin. Too many layers and the atmosphere gets the benefit of the heat instead of you.

Well, if I wear one thin layer to get the most out of the jacket, in 90 mins or so the batt is dying and youre up chit creek with heavy ass jacket that has no down or fill in it.

Sometimes I think I’d be better off with just my arctic shield jacket and my three layers.

I do pack in 2, sometimes 3 batteries. But its been a mild season.

I think if I was Backhoe Joe or Forklift Fred, the jacket might be ok. Or some custom house builder doofus only stepping outta his Silverado for 45 minutes with Slim Jim meat stick pointing out a punch list with his mexicans, it would suit that purpose well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you're packing in, a good solar unit can keep your extra power bank charged...assuming you have sunshine.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.