Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What things are difficult for you to pass up in the stores? What's tough to make yourself throw away, or quit stocking up on? (Aside from ammo/components).

For me, it seems like I can't not grab steaks when they're on special. Half a dozen packages seem to always find their way to one of the freezers.

I also find myself "collecting" spray paint when I walk by that aisle. There's two or three huge totes of spray paint in my storage shed, as you never know when you'll need to paint a deer stand, or an ATV rack, or some steel targets. My wife and kids try to steer me away from that part of the store.

Pocket-size LED flashlights are everywhere around my place too, on all the nightstands, by all the doors, in all the cars. And with flashlights you have to have lots of batteries on hand, so you need a "battery cabinet" in the laundry room.

I also can't make myself throw away the good plastic coffee cans, as I always set them aside for brass or bullets.

Got to have a variety of good boxes for shipping guns and scopes too. I purged my attic earlier this year and it hurt to throw out a lot of those extra ones. I just know I'll need that exact box when it's time to ship something next month.

Bet I have a washtub full of handwarmers and footwarmers too. Grab a pack in the store, get a pack in your stocking, and it adds up over the years.

Surprisingly, my place does not look like an episode of "Hoarders" as useless junk and clutter tends to find its way to Goodwill or the dumpster.....

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not as big of a handgunner as some here, but I'm sure there's a few guys with buckets full of holsters they don't use. I need to get rid of some for sure.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Pussy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dust......... I keep it everywhere......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Boomers like to hoard random odd things, like bulk crappy .22lr ammunition. Which is fine since they leave the good SK, wolf mt, eley, and cci target stuff alone....its not 2 cents a round I guess.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Define hoarding.

We have freezers and canning shelves.
We may buy freezer meat, or beef primals.

Freeze or can vegetables, make several years worth of sauerkraut, and can it.
Grew up a half hour plus from any real stores, grew much of our food,
that's not hoarding, its life.

Fight with my wife who grew up daily shopping.
She will says "We are out of ketchup" and come home with one bottle?
WTF! "We are still out, why didn't you buy at least 2?"

I honestly could never understand people that buy their primers by the hundred,
only when they are out. Heck a buddy said, "I need to buy a new chain for my saw,
My only good one is about done?"

WTF! Again.

I have 3 or 4 making that have enough life to cut something that might have metal.
And 2 or three new ones. Always have a new one in the truck, just in case.

I don't really hoard anything.
But i try to be prepared.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ham.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I used to have an issue with throwing away jars and boxes. I keep a good selection of boxes broken down and throw the rest in the recycling bin. I throw jars away now. I still hoard the packing material. I have a giant box I throw it into. Now I seem to hoard the plastic reusable containers that some lunch meats comes in. I started to hoard those plastic prep containers that some restaurants put their to go orders in. I make myself throw them away. My hoarding seems to be geared around storage containers.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
According to my wife, guns and components

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Fight with my wife who grew up daily shopping.
She will says "We are out of ketchup" and come home with one bottle?
WTF! "We are still out, why didn't you buy at least 2?"

I get the same thing for wanting to have 2-3 deodorants or tubes of toothpaste on hand. You don't want to be out, and it's not like it takes up much room in the cabinet.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Wife always has at least one cat so cat litter is always on the shopping list. My hoarding weakness is collecting the empty heavy-duty plastic buckets w/ lids the brand she buys is sold in. Handy as all get-out for lots of things. I use them to store wild bird feed in as they keep stuff dry and safe from rodents and insects, water for flushing toilet when main is down for repairs, fishing bait, ice melt, dry fertilizer, even as planters for tomatoes and such, etc. I usually have about a dozen at all times.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Those flat sided buckets should make good parts bins/

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guns...I like guns.

Coyotes shot no waiting.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Shooting Times, Handloader, Rifle and also "Annual Gun Catalogs" as in those published by ST or G & A.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I finally unloaded a couple of huge totes of old gun mags this spring. Must have been 100lbs worth. Was something I used to always keep, and I hung onto a few issues.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Those flat sided buckets should make good parts bins/

Their uses are only limited by the users imagination. The flat sides do make for tighter storage, the handles and lids are pretty hefty too, the lids snap on and off and are 'hinged' in the middle and designed so they interlock when stacked on top of each-other.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JPro
I finally unloaded a couple of huge totes of old gun mags this spring. Must have been 100lbs worth. Was something I used to always keep, and I hung onto a few issues.
I do have several totes of old hunting/shooting/outdoor magazines dating back as far as 1913. Have every American rifleman from the 60's, 70's, 80's and '90's. I love reading the old magazines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buffalo Trace

Harry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JPro
I do have several totes of old hunting/shooting/outdoor magazines dating back as far as 1913. Have every American rifleman from the 60's, 70's, 80's and '90's. I love reading the old magazines.

Same here , just can't bring myself to throw them away . Its cool looking at the old advertisements .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another for boxes and packaging materials. I resent the clutter of it, but worse is frequently shipping items and not having anything to pit it in.

Aside: do applaud the resourcefulness of folks i see at the postoffice mailing Christmas presents in a half crushed box of tidy cat and 3lbs of strapping tape. But, my OCD won’t let me do that. Nor do i have a cat.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (41rem, 300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.