Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Redneck: I bought a heavy barrel Browning T-Bolt (with a beautiful walnut stock!) in 22 Magnum a year and a half ago and when testing ammunition it shot the Norma hollow-point ammunition the best.
I mean it shot this stuff really well!
Of course after the initial carton of that Norma ammo ran out (Ground Squirrel Hunting!) I can't find any more of it.
Some on this forum think that CCI made this ammo for Norma - it if that helps any?
Good luck and let us know how its going.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've not seen the Norma stuff around here at all - but I haven't really been looking lately - since I still have about 1,000 rounds available.. But thanks for the tip - if I ever find a box or three I'll give it a go..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fanuke: Thanks for those links. Those are all "strong prices" in my estimation.
And the last link is to a "similar" Rifle as to the one I originally posted about - it is indeed now above $1,050.00 and still has 6 (six!) days left to accumulate more bids.
I remember when these heavy barrel Ruger 77/22 Magnums first came out and only wish I had invested (heavily!) in them.
The 77/22 Magnum V/T heavy barrel is one caliber/model of Ruger bolt action rimfire that I don't own.
Will keep my eye out though as with the advent of better ammunition (jacketed V-Max styles etc) these days the 22 Magnum has regained a spot in my small game and Varmint Hunting interests.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have seen absolutely stupid pricing on guns lately..... But they are in very short supply. Been through these cycles before. Be careful jumping onto a bidding war with people that really dont understand. These prices could fall sharply at some point.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hikerbum: Been buying/selling/trading "guns" for way more than half a century now (55+ years) and indeed have seen several ups and downs in the gun markets.
I am confident I have an up to date "understanding" of values/trends in the gun world.
Having said that (in agreement with your observations on "cycles"!) I do though disagree with your "stupid" contention!
The "seller" of my posted to Rifle auction was obviously happy with the sale/price and the "buyer" of that Rifle was obviously happy to have paid that amount!
There is NOTHING "stupid" about two happy gun enthusiasts getting together on a firearms sale where both parties are "happy".
YOU can NOT deny that said Rifle was worth $2,000.00 BECAUSE it sold for that amount - after receiving 27 (twenty seven!) bids.
YOU may consider that price stupid but there were a batch of people who obviously did not!
I repeat I was somewhat shocked at the selling/buying price but do not consider the participants stupid - just gun enthusiasts doing what gun enthusiasts do (buying and selling and enjoying guns).
I remember distinctly back when Colt Pythons began selling on the used market for more than what they sold for new, before being discontinued! In fact I sold a couple for just under $500.00 back when.
I have seen similar pistols sell of recent for OVER $3,000.00!
This is just reality and an awareness that certain firearms are inherently valuable, no longer produced and desirable by "lots" of gun enthusiasts.
Those factors almost always drive their values UP, over the long run.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ok, Lighten up Francis....... Yikes. wow.
And for info, I am seeing Pythons now coming down in price..... so cycles even for very nice guns do happen. Just because a couple people of the tens of millions of gun owners in the country agree on a price, does not make it an ongoing reasonable price. Maybe that person merely really wanted it because he had one long ago... who knows the motive. But the market is driven currently by outlandish demand of new gun owners, and desparate people because guns, and ammo are in short supply.

Sit down, catch your breath... Wouldnt want a heart attack. And I do see people even in local gun shops paying stupid prices at times.

as far as a 77/22..... within the past 6 months I have seen several very clean ones for sale in person in shops for about $600 ish range. I will call them non stupid pricing. And I do see another response to your post saying "silly" prices.... so I assume you will attack him also.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hikerbum: Been buying/selling/trading "guns" for way more than half a century now (55+ years) and indeed have seen several ups and downs in the gun markets.
I am confident I have an up to date "understanding" of values/trends in the gun world.
Having said that (in agreement with your observations on "cycles"!) I do though disagree with your "stupid" contention!
The "seller" of my posted to Rifle auction was obviously happy with the sale/price and the "buyer" of that Rifle was obviously happy to have paid that amount!

There is NOTHING "stupid" about two happy gun enthusiasts getting together on a firearms sale where both parties are "happy".
YOU can NOT deny that said Rifle was worth $2,000.00 BECAUSE it sold for that amount - after receiving 27 (twenty seven!) bids.
YOU may consider that price stupid but there were a batch of people who obviously did not!
I repeat I was somewhat shocked at the selling/buying price but do not consider the participants stupid - just gun enthusiasts doing what gun enthusiasts do (buying and selling and enjoying guns).
I remember distinctly back when Colt Pythons began selling on the used market for more than what they sold for new, before being discontinued! In fact I sold a couple for just under $500.00 back when.
I have seen similar pistols sell of recent for OVER $3,000.00!
This is just reality and an awareness that certain firearms are inherently valuable, no longer produced and desirable by "lots" of gun enthusiasts.
Those factors almost always drive their values UP, over the long run.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Last edited by hikerbum; 12/09/20.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hikingbum: Not an attack on you elwood, but YOU do need to be set straight!
Inferring that any firearm THAT JUST SOLD publicly for an amount, is NOT worth that amount, is just unrealistic to the point of being bizarre.
So I am calling "unrealistic" on your contention - not an attack - just a get back in touch warning which would serve you well - were you smart enough to heed it!
Would it not?
And now you are trying to compare who knows WHAT CONDITION (or what model!) Ruger 77/22's with this as new unfired with box Ruger 77/22 Magnum with heavy barrel and laminated stock and which is no longer made is a desperate act of comparing apples with oranges!
Do that if YOU wish but do not try to foist that off on those of us with an eye on and an ear to reality.
In closing I have to state that YOU calling something "stupid" is specious (without merit!)!
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
wow, just wow.........

set straight? Merely voice an opinion and attacked twice now...
Wow.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I apologize to anyone on this thread who took my opinion in the wrong way. I was in no way attacking anyone. I wont respond anymore to the one who seems to not like hearing an opinion. Again, I apologize.

And for info, I owned one of the guns in question a few years ago. Think I paid $400 for it with the box. I got a good deal. Sold it for $700 I think online, comparable to others I saw......so That was the going price a couple years ago. No idea why it would become a $2000 gun in just a couple years.

thank you.

Last edited by hikerbum; 12/09/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Maybe somebody with no money worries wanted the item for an Xmas present.
Get two like that bidding and stuff can double in price.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep, Not necessarily real market.

Originally Posted by hookeye
Maybe somebody with no money worries wanted the item for an Xmas present.
Get two like that bidding and stuff can double in price.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nothing that special about a ruger, just go with a cooper and be done

Fück Joe byron
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hammer25/06: As of very recent, I indeed have purchased, my FIRST Cooper Rifle!
I bought it for three reasons:
#1: = It is an extremely beautiful Rifle with amazing lines along with looks - it's box says it has XXX+ wood and some other factory extra cost items.
#2: = I think in the future if the need should arise I will probably make a pleasing profit when it sells.
#3: = The factory provided target with my Rifle really impressed me - and turns out it does shoot for me as well as it shot at the factory.

But for you to try to infer that Ruger 77 rimfire Rifles are "nothing special" well that is just ignorance personified!
I have been buying/shooting/Hunting with Ruger 77 rimfires for right at 37 (thirty seven) years now!
They ARE "special".
In just about every way possible.
They are first of all very SAFE Rifles to take afield to the range.
They are handsomely designed and VERY utilitarian!
Their engineering (3 position safety, integral scope rings, stock design, magazine system etc etc etc) is very commendable (special).
The accuracy in all the various models and calibers I have owned/shot to date has been VERY "special" IME/IMO.
The 6, 9 and 10 round rotary magazines incorporated in the 77 rimfires is beyond special - they are UNSURPASSED!
PERIOD!
The reliability factor when operating/shooting/Hunting with a Ruger 77 rimfire Rifle is wonderfully reliable!
I think you should reconsider your contention?
Ruger 77 rimfires ARE (were?)"special".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Nothing that special about a ruger, just go with a cooper and be done

Or a CZ 457 if you have a limited budget. I sold my 77/22 Boat Paddle a couple years ago. The only thing it had that was better than a CZ was the magazine.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
CZ's are great. They outshoot any Ruger I have owned.... Rugers are great guns, But like CZ better for a rimfire

S
S
[quote=VarmintGuy]Hammer25/06: As of very recent, I indeed have purchased, my FIRST Cooper Rifle!
I bought it for three reasons:
#1: = It is an extremely beautiful Rifle with amazing lines along with looks - it's box says it has XXX+ wood and some other factory extra cost items.
#2: = I think in the future if the need should arise I will probably make a pleasing profit when it sells.
#3: = The factory provided target with my Rifle really impressed me - and turns out it does shoot for me as well as it shot at the factory.

But for you to try to infer that Ruger 77 rimfire Rifles are "nothing special" well that is just ignorance personified!
I have been buying/shooting/Hunting with Ruger 77 rimfires for right at 37 (thirty seven) years now!
They ARE "special".
In just about every way possible.
They are first of all very SAFE Rifles to take afield to the range.
They are handsomely designed and VERY utilitarian!
Their engineering (3 position safety, integral scope rings, stock design, magazine system etc etc etc) is very commendable (special).
The accuracy in all the various models and calibers I have owned/shot to date has been VERY "special" IME/IMO.
The 6, 9 and 10 round rotary magazines incorporated in the 77 rimfires is beyond special - they are UNSURPASSED!
PERIOD!
The reliability factor when operating/shooting/Hunting with a Ruger 77 rimfire Rifle is wonderfully reliable!
I think you should reconsider your contention?
Ruger 77 rimfires ARE (were?)"special".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy, I agree with you that the ruger 77 rimfires are special. I have 3 and they all shoot fine for what I do with them. To me they seem like a higher quality rimfire than we see today. They have a feel and heft that reminds me of a center fire, and the rotary mags just work. I have 2 canoe paddle models, one is 17hmr that’s blued, and the other is 22 mag in stainless. I have the target grey and wood laminate in 22 mag also. All shoot better than most rimfires I’ve had. I bought all mine for great prices looking at the auctions posted on page 1 of this thread. The stainless with the canoe paddle stock is a real durable rifle to have on the side by side for pests. I would love to find a 22lr with a canoe paddle stock with the green inserts, for a reasonable price someday.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My LGS has a .22LR heavy barrel/laminated stock for $750 if someone's interested. LINK

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hikerbum
CZ's are great. Rugers are great

Are there any that aren't great?

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Scurvy dog: I will keep my eye out for the "boat paddle" 77/22 for you.
I am not sure I have ever seen the boat paddle with colored inserts - but my memory is NOT what it used to be.
I have a minty boat paddle 77/22 that does NOT get shot much at all - if the "great divide crossing" appears imminent I will get hold of you.
But again my boat paddle is the all black stock style.
I also don't mind the "full Rifle feel" of my 77 rimfires.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Tmitch: Thanks for the heads up on that now discontinued model Ruger 77/22 V/T.
If I did not have one already I would be a player for that one.
With the bi-pod and the scope that appears to be a pretty fair deal?
I wonder what brand/power that scope is?
Anyway thanks again for the heads up to us CampFirers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Scurvy dog: Yikes - just did a search on gunbreaker and found a "green insert" boat paddle Model 77/22.

Here is the link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886046414

I hope that gets you to it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.