Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Not a MN bolt, or similar, but a Ruger No 1, Encore, or a Remington FB?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, and don’t want one either. That’s one of those good rounds that are only worth futzing with in order to make use of a good rifle. Otherwise, it’s redundant in a world full of other good .30s.

There is some limit to my loonacy.

You go ahead; I love watching other guys spend money.😛

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am considering a 26 inch, MGM Encore, SS, bead blasted 1 inch bull barrel. One that takes two men and a boy to lift. .308 diameter of course. I could save some weight by wearing a light jacket and using 155 gr. bullets. laugh

The barrel would look something like this.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That seems like a dangerous idea. I hope the barrel is big letters clear with 0.308 warnings. Do you think the neck will be tight enough to prevent accidental factory ammo from clambering or just enough to raise initial pressure before the added excitement begins if a 310/311 bullet gets rammed down a 308 bore? A 6.5x54 would be interesting. Or a 375.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by fourbore
That seems like a dangerous idea. I hope the barrel is big letters clear with 0.308 warnings. Do you think the neck will be tight enough to prevent accidental factory ammo from clambering or just enough to raise initial pressure before the added excitement begins if a 310/311 bullet gets rammed down a 308 bore? A 6.5x54 would be interesting. Or a 375.

Jesus H Christ...The Finns only made about a 120,000 of them with .308 barrels...they can and were used with Russian capture .310/.311 ammo.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I understand rifle loonyism, this does beg the "but why" question for me.

That said, who am I to talk anyone out of buying something gun related?!?!????

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Winter Biathlon competition pretty well proved the 7.62x54R was easily the equal of the 7.62 Nato, accuracy-wise. But the "why?"...well, you would be the first kid on the block to have one.
I shudder to think of the bolt face modifications required to make it work, .567" rim dia.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A friend of mine had 2 Baikal 7.62x 39 rechambered to .303 British and 7.62x 54r . Both of them shot well

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm glad to see that this post has generated some responses!

Originally Posted by fourbore
That seems like a dangerous idea. ...

Not at all. Even steel jacketed bullets will squeeze down a couple of thou with no problems. I reload though. That's why I will order it with a 308 barrel. smile

Originally Posted by flintlocke
...The Finns only made about a 120,000 of them with .308 barrels..

Yes, all of my MNs are Finnish. I bought them years ago when dealers didn't know the difference between Russian and Finiish rifles.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
...I shudder to think of the bolt face modifications required to make it work, .567" rim dia.

That would be a custom thing for sure. Fortunately, this isn't a problem with a single shot.

Originally Posted by Flyer01
A friend of mine had 2 Baikal 7.62x 39 rechambered to .303 British and 7.62x 54r . Both of them shot well

That sounds like fun. The heyday of the 303 British and 7.62 Russian might be over, but not for me! I like rimmed cartridges. Besides, they are perfect for a single shot! smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've considered getting an Encore barrel a few times. Rimmed Lapua brass with good ballistics, lot to like there for break action fans.

Have you used a 26" bull on an Encore before? Factory 26" heavy taper is the heaviest barrel I've used

Last edited by brydan; 12/13/20.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I am considering a 26 inch, MGM Encore, SS, bead blasted 1 inch bull barrel. One that takes two men and a boy to lift. .308 diameter of course. I could save some weight by wearing a light jacket and using 155 gr. bullets. laugh

If you’re looking for a .308 caliber, military power, rimmed cartridge for a single shot, why not the .30-40 Krag?

Also, you might recall some interesting higher pressure, highly accurate, long range work done with the .30-30 cartridge, discussed as “600 yard 30-30” in Ask the Gunwriters.

Every day’s an adventure.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by brydan
I've considered getting an Encore barrel a few times. Rimmed Lapua brass with good ballistics, lot to like there for break action fans.

Have you used a 26" bull on an Encore before? Factory 26" heavy taper is the heaviest barrel I've used

I have two Bull barrels for the Encore - a 6.5 Grendel and a 30-303 British. They are not hunting barrels though. This is a 6.5 Grendel with a 24 inch bull barrel. The barrels are untapered and 1 inch in diameter.

Originally Posted by Exchipy

If you’re looking for a .308 caliber, military power, rimmed cartridge for a single shot, why not the .30-40 Krag?

Also, you might recall some interesting higher pressure, highly accurate, long range work done with the .30-30 cartridge, discussed as “600 yard 30-30” in Ask the Gunwriters.

The Krag is an interesting cartridge, but like the 225 Winchester, brass availability is a problem. At least it is in Canada. That's why I went with the 30-303. The two are very close. In fact, of my single shots, the barrel pictured above on the barrel sock is a 30-303. It is a 26 inch bull barrel that is 1 inch in diameter. I just received it a few days ago, and have not scoped it yet. I have a 10x40 Bushnell mil dot and a Game Reaper mount sitting on the bench.

Some might say that the 30-303 is much the same as the 7.62x54r, so why bother with it? The answer to that is, because I can! smile

These are fun to shoot, and easy to work on. They also produce good groups. This is a 17 Hornet Contender.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I too often contemplated the Nagant cartridge in a single shot platform. There isn't much to choose from in the world of rimmed .30's. But, the .30-40 would get my nod too. (Easy for me to say as I'm sitting on hundreds of pieces of Krag brass.) Also it would be kind of pointless next to its twin, your .30-303.

Why not a .30-30? Lots of moxie in that old girl in a platform better than a lever gun.

Maybe a .348 necked down to .30? I guess then we're back to the 7.62 Russkie....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe STEVE HAS COUPLE OF CASES OF 7.62X54R he isn't talking about? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I too often contemplated the Nagant cartridge in a single shot platform. There isn't much to choose from in the world of rimmed .30's. But, the .30-40 would get my nod too. (Easy for me to say as I'm sitting on hundreds of pieces of Krag brass.) Also it would be kind of pointless next to its twin, your .30-303.

Why not a .30-30? Lots of moxie in that old girl in a platform better than a lever gun.

Maybe a .348 necked down to .30? I guess then we're back to the 7.62 Russkie....

I already have a 30-30, but it's a Contender. laugh

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Maybe STEVE HAS COUPLE OF CASES OF 7.62X54R he isn't talking about? Mb

No, I don't have any 7.62x54r kicking around. I do have 300 cases though. smile

Edited to add: I lied. I do have some milsurp ammunition.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brydan

I have two Bull barrels for the Encore - a 6.5 Grendel and a 30-303 British. They are not hunting barrels though. This is a 6.5 Grendel with a 24 inch bull barrel. The barrels are untapered and 1 inch in diameter.

Originally Posted by Exchipy

The Krag is an interesting cartridge, but like the 225 Winchester, brass availability is a problem. At least it is in Canada. That's why I went with the 30-303. The two are very close. In fact, of my single shots, the barrel pictured above on the barrel sock is a 30-303. It is a 26 inch bull barrel that is 1 inch in diameter. I just received it a few days ago, and have not scoped it yet. I have a 10x40 Bushnell mil dot and a Game Reaper mount sitting on the bench.

Some might say that the 30-303 is much the same as the 7.62x54r, so why bother with it? The answer to that is, because I can! smile

These are fun to shoot, and easy to work on. They also produce good groups. This is a 17 Hornet Contender.

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/30-40-krag

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for the link. That should be useful for folks living in the US. I cannot order cartridges directly from the States unfortunately. I wish I could. Things would be cheaper and faster. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have the same affinity for rimmed cartridges and single shots, especially the No. 1. As I write this, my local smith (who has rebarreled other No. 1s for me previously) has a 1S that's getting a .348 Win barrel and a Winchester 1885 Trapper that will become a 25-35 with a much longer barrel. I also have a 1AB that Roger Renner did a nice job on reshaping the forearm to a Schnabel configuration. That one is likely going to become a 7-30 Waters some day. None of these do anything that can't be done with more modern chamberings, but like you I find these projects fun and enjoy working with classic cartridges. They all have or will go hunting at some point, too. I also thought about the 7.62x54R, but the No. 3 I have in 30-40 Krag shoots really well.. Good luck with the project.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks. smile

My intention is to order the barrel after Christmas. Between the season and the other projects I have on the go, there's little time for about two months.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I came very close to barreling one of my P-14 single shots to 7.62 Russian but went with a 30-303 instead. The Russian is awfully close to being a rimmed 7.5 Swiss which is, in turn close to a 30/284. My plan for my next single shot is a 30/30 Trapdoor Springfield. GD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.