Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been offered an extremely nice Star Model B 9mm for a stupid good price. Before I jump in, what are the pros and cons of these things? I never owned one so have no feel for these things. Note: it's been years since I messed with a 9mm and haven't any ammo or dies anymore, which is another consideration during these troubled times. (.45 ACP, .45 Colt, .38 Spl, etc. etc. I have aplenty, just no 9mm and I really don't want/need a "new" caliber but this Star is awfully tempting.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only major problem I have found with Star pistols is that after using them for a while, you start looking for more !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've been offered an extremely nice Star Model B 9mm for a stupid good price. Before I jump in, what are the pros and cons of these things? I never owned one so have no feel for these things. Note: it's been years since I messed with a 9mm and haven't any ammo or dies anymore, which is another consideration during these troubled times. (.45 ACP, .45 Colt, .38 Spl, etc. etc. I have aplenty, just no 9mm and I really don't want/need a "new" caliber but this Star is awfully tempting.)

My neighbor offered me a nice one. I said I needed to try it out first. It couldn't get through a magazine full of FMJ without jamming. No thanks. Of course that was a sample of one, so the one you're considering might be completely reliable.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I only use fmj in old military handguns, so for me the only drawback would be lack of spare parts in case something breaks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
/Star's were straight up military grade pistols, so they're well made and robust. But its an old military pistol. So don't expect it to be a match gun with a sweet trigger...it's a rack grade military pistol; no more, no less. Star sold a LOT of them, yet never really bagged the "big" contract.

The design is a simplification of the 1911. They're reliable with FMJ and they shoot rather well. The biggest issue is parts...there are no warehouses full of Star parts.

Since the Model B never saw any major military adoption, parts were always made on an as needed basis. Customers who bought the Star's were all over the globe, but they bought them by the hundreds rather than the thousands. As a result, no nation ever really built up a stockpile of parts.

If the pistol is in good condition and under $300, I personally would buy it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HAHA damn. So a good friend of mines Dad was a local small town police chief. He got a Star Model B off someone he arrested or something. it was 30+ years ago and I forget the details. Anyway he was sitting in his chair messing with it and trying to unload it but it was hung up and he couldn't get the slide to move. So he's messing with it and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. TV got shot dead. Put a round right through the tube of the TV with it. He took it out to the shop. Beat it to pieces until he got the rest of the ammo out and melted it down with a torch.

Last edited by k20350; 12/17/20.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by k20350
HAHA damn. So a good friend of mines Dad was a local small town police chief. He got a Star Model B off someone he arrested or something. it was 30+ years ago and I forget the details. Anyway he was sitting in his chair messing with it and trying to unload it but it was hung up and he couldn't get the slide to move. So he's messing with it and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. TV got shot dead. Put a round right through the tube of the TV with it. He took it out to the shop. Beat it to pieces until he got the rest of the ammo out and melted it down with a torch.

That'll teach it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My first semiauto pistol was a Star Model B, complete with a military holster and spare magazine. I only shot ball through it and don't remember it ever malfunctioning. It did give a pretty good hammer bite if you didn't grip it just so. Wish I still had it.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/17/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a B, BM, and S. All first rate. B must have had a trigger job from the armorer, because it is on par with a good 1911.
I think all of mine came in a factory box. Of course I got them 30 years ago.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yep.
Only two problems with the stars that I see.

Parts, and a proprietary magazine.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Yep.
Only two problems with the stars that I see.

Parts, and a proprietary magazine.

Yeah, these days, you'd only buy one as a novelty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.