Print Thread
Hop To
D
DBoston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thinking about trying this but am concerned about hanging in hotter weather. I think I can get it pretty dry before hot weather sets in but concerned it could spoil. Virginia Hams are cured in hot weather but some are initially cured in a cellar or other cooler place. My only other option is hanging it in my air conditioned utility room but that would not be very cost effective. Don't have a spare refrigerator now.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No help yet?

well, I can't help either, But I'm interested to see you results if you try it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
How hot is it?

It’s cured, so “heat” shouldn’t really matter, since the purpose of curing it is to preserve it in hot or cold. If you’re working with room temperature or less, you should be fine. If it’s tropical heat, well, that’s why they used spices - to cover the scent of rotting meat.

Here’s something I found:

https://www.instructables.com/Deer-Prosciutto/

D
DBoston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks good info on the instructable. It is encouraging that it can be done in as little as three months. Other source listed one to two years. I only question how much pink salt is recommended 2Lbs. seems like a lot. I was going to do 1-2% but will look into it more. Another source "The Art of Fermentation" said there was enough nitrate in sea salt but not enough to give any color to the meat. This alleviates my hot weather concerns as it doesn't have to age that long and by then it will be dry enough not to matter.

I will be looking at the next deer or hog as prosciutto on the hoof. The hog would take longer though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
interesting,
keep us posted with your success,and pics

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys are making me hungry.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go with umai bags, but you don't have a spare fridge. Used them to make lonzino, was excellent. Months of waiting and it was gone real quick smile

D
DBoston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Hank Shaw has about three good recipes and some only take 2-3 months. Now to just find a donor bambi or even a hog. Don't want to do it with previously frozen meat, but might try some Bison round steak for one of Shaw's recipes. Will do the initial 2 week salting in a big ice chest. I got suckered into buying one of those scam mini swamp coolers which don't work but will be perfect for running up the humidity for the first part of the curing process.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had antelope prosciutto once while in NW Nebraska on a hunt. It was wonderful. Should be good with deer too.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
IC B3

D
DBoston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Well ran into a donor deer this week an older buck that should be a good choice. I may try the Longiza or cured round steak recipe first as it takes less time. I think I will also do a corned beef or Sour brautten recipe too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.