Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 300 WSM would be a great choice that would allow you to shoot heavier bullets than the 7 mag with a little less recoil than the 300 Win. It's not hard to find one that weighs the same as standard calibers like an 06. If it kicks a little more than you want have it magna-ported or put a brake on it.

Last edited by Bill_N; 12/16/20.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Esox357
There are a million good elk cartridges to include your 308 which have been written about at great length. Looking at my load for a 300 WM with 180g bullet v my 30-06 with a 165; both zeroed to be 2.5 high at 100. The 300WM gets you about another 25 yards before you reach a foot of drop and thats between 375 and 400 yards. I think the truth is, for the animals you want to shoot, it's really about taking afield the rifle/cartridge combination that you really want to use. If it's a 300 WM, great, if its something else, thats just as great. You are kind of in that "cant go wrong" area but if you do, you can change.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Diameters are so close that bullets will matter more.

In my 7mm rem mag I use the 145 LRX at 3200 fps plus.

In the 300 I use the 175 LRX or 180 TTSX at 3100 or 3000 plus..

Nothing these combos can not handle. And the bullets do not turn into shrapnel.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I agree, dont believe it is much difference between them. Moose makes me want the 300 win. But I realize a 7 mag could do it as well. The deciding factor will be finding components.

Last edited by Esox357; 12/16/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Esox357
What would you chooses for elk, sheep, and moose? I'm leaning towards the .300 win mag but open to suggestions. Im looking at a winchester or weatherby vanguard meateater series. Any other rifles you would suggest?

Lots of good advice on here, either choice is going to work well if you can shoot it well. I think equally important is you practice at various ranges to learn your equipment and loads.

Having owned both mags, I prefer a lightweight '06 with 150 GMXs similar to what JBabcock wrote. What the late Bob Hagel wrote in the 70s about the' 06 is pretty much the same today.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I imagine a 7 mm 160 gr Accubond will get as far as needed in any of those animals.
GreggH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What would you chooses for elk, sheep, and moose? I'm leaning towards the .300 win mag but open to suggestions. Im looking at a winchester or weatherby vanguard meateater series. Any other rifles you would suggest?

I’ve only read the first page of this, so forgive me if it’s been covered already.

My question to the OP would be, how much shooting experience do you have and is a .300 win mag comfortable for you to shoot well? I can handle a .300 mag personally, but the .338’s recoil impulse is just enough slower and different to me that I preferred it instead.

Your going to be best served by a rifle/cartridge combo that you handle well and enjoy shooting. For me, with the two options you stated, I’d be happier with the 7 mag. Moose and sheep tags don’t grow on trees, so limited usage there. Elk tags are much easier to acquire and are well suited to the 7 mags. Deer and antelope don’t need that kind of power and can be hunted with milder, fun to shoot cartridges..... my $0.02

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Never shot a .300 win mag. I shot a 338 Lapua which wasn't bad. I prefer the push recoil vs the quick jab. I plan on a brake for a 300 if I go that route. Moose is very limited if im lucky I will hunt them twice in my lifetime. More elk than anything.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't like shooting my .300 WM much until I got my TBAC Ultra 7 put on. Now, it's actually not bad at all.

So if recoil is the deciding factor, consider adding a brake or suppressor and that very well may make the choice easier.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hows recoil with TBAC 7?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

I’ve only read the first page of this, so forgive me if it’s been covered already.

My question to the OP would be, how much shooting experience do you have and is a .300 win mag comfortable for you to shoot well? I can handle a .300 mag personally, but the .338’s recoil impulse is just enough slower and different to me that I preferred it instead.

Your going to be best served by a rifle/cartridge combo that you handle well and enjoy shooting. For me, with the two options you stated, I’d be happier with the 7 mag. Moose and sheep tags don’t grow on trees, so limited usage there. Elk tags are much easier to acquire and are well suited to the 7 mags. Deer and antelope don’t need that kind of power and can be hunted with milder, fun to shoot cartridges..... my $0.02
One of my partners is a retired army ranger officer. He's shot enough rounds from many different guns to fill a large dumpster. However, a 300 WM causes him to flinch. He's tried and tried to get over it but can't. A 30-06 in his hands is as deadly as any gun ever made but he just can't get it right with the 300.

A 300 WSM is very close to the 300 WM but to me, anyway, it doesn't seen to kick nearly as hard. There's a noticeable difference over an '06, but not as much as the 300 WM. A person who can't get used to the WM might do well to try the WSM for comparison.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back before I could afford my own rifle, I borrowed dad’s gun guy friend’s .300WM m70 and shot some deer with it. Then when I wanted a one size fits all chambering, I knew that it was going to be a work in progress to make it as light weight as possible. A ‘63 vintage 700 BDL was eventually made into a 6# mountain rifle and 7# with a scope. Mostly hunting deer in WI. I knew that it wasn’t going to be a bigger .300WM. Out west my 7mm RM elk were right there on the same meat pole with my buddy’s .338WM and .300WM elk. Rock Chuck’s recoil sensitive buddy mirrors what I’ve seen on the range during sight in days. A larger cartridge is worse than a smaller one when a guy flinches from the recoil. The 7mm RM/.30-06 size cartridges are about the limit to what the average guy can shoot well.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As bullets and rangefinder/scope technology has improved over the years, I’ve tended towards less powerful cartridges for hunting, not the other way around. I’ve seen plenty of game die via larger calibers and more powerful cartridges, but with moose, elk, and bear being the largest animals on my menu, I have zero need for anything larger than a 7RM, and even that gets a lot less hunting use than the 6.5 Creed/7-08/.308 class of cartridge these days. I shoot that SA class of cartridge a lot more than my 7 Mags, even in practice. Less powder consumption and recoil encourages more practice, which leads to increased shot placement precision and confidence, which usually provides much more benefit than increased caliber or speed. I saw a bull moose get absolutely pole-axed by a 6.5 Creedmoor and 127 LRX this year, with a non-CNS shot. A .300WM wouldn’t have added a single thing to the equation, except recoil.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hows recoil with TBAC 7?
I've got the CB mount with the Ultra 7 and all I can say is the difference between with and without is substantial.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I can handle a .300 mag
personally, but the .338’s recoil impulse is just
enough slower and different to me that I preferred it instead.

Calcs for 300 Roy/180grain vs. 338win/225
recoil impulse both come out @ 4.3 lbs

Having owned them(each just over 9 lb) , Wby 'felt'
better with Brown Prec. compared to Win factory
tupperware.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As many have said, either will work great if you find a good ammo match for the rifle. Just to make it a bit more concrete, I was looking for a specific ballistic comparison. For one example, I was looking at how Nosler loads these two cartridges. According to what they say, for whatever that is worth, in the TG line of ammo, they load them like this with both zeroed at 200 yds:
7mm RM - 168gr ABLR: Muzzle: 2,880 fps. 500 yds: 2,163 fps; -38.8” drop.
.300 WM - 190gr ABLR: Muzzle: 2,870 fps. 500 yds: 2,135 fps; -39.4” drop.

Almost identical except for the 22gr/13% heavier bullet out of the .300. Probably not going to make a difference in 99.9% of circumstances.

Of course, there are scores of other combinations. But I think that example illustrates how similar they are. The .300 can push a 13% heavier bullet at about the same speed as a 7mm. I have owned a .300 WM for 33 years. I painted houses when I was 19 and in school so that I could afford to buy the rifle I wanted—a Rem. 700 BDL in .300 WM. I still have it. I also have a 7mm Wby. I can’t tell the difference in performance of the two. I’m offering either of them to my 16-yr-old son to move up to from his .243 he used for years. He’s still thinking it over, but he seems to prefer the 7mm Wby.

If I had the choice to use a 7mm RM or 300 WM on any N. American hunt, and had accurate good loads for both, I might actually flip a coin. The only exception might be a brown bear hunt, for which I might prefer the 300 WM because you can load it with 200+gr bullets. But, in reality, a 175gr 7mm probably would do materially the same in almost all circumstances with the same shot placement. But that would be one hunt where I personally would choose the .300 WM.

As to recoil, I wouldn’t worry about either. Do two things when at the range: (1) put a removable bipod on the rifle; and (2) wear one of those leather, padded shoulder shooting pads. You never will have the slightest bruising, and the weight and padding will make any rifle much more comfortable to shoot. Take the bipod off for field use if you want. You will not notice the recoil in the field.

My dad, back when he was in his 40s, shot my 300 WM without doing those two things. He remembered that for decades, and said he said that he NEVER wanted to shoot that thing again. 11 years ago, then in his late-60s, I lent him that same rifle with full loads for an Alaskan bear hunt we were going on together. He did the two things I described above. He said he had no discomfort at all; and he got 1/2” groups at 100 yds. He said he couldn’t believe how much of a difference doing those two made. When I do those two things, I can shoot my .340 Wby at the range all day long without any discomfort.

Just my $0.02.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

As to recoil, I wouldn’t worry about either. Do two things when at the range: (1) put a removable bipod on the rifle; and (2) wear one of those leather, padded shoulder shooting pads. You never will have the slightest bruising, and the weight and padding will make any rifle much more comfortable to shoot.

I was going to bring up the removable shoulder pad for recoil management. I have used a Bob Allen shoulder pad harness for about 20yrs. In addition on really hard kickers at the range I'll even roll up a small towel and add/tuck it between the butt and my shoulder. When shooting at game I rarely notice recoil, it's a non-issue.

One way to check for flinch at the range is to have someone unload the rifle unknowingly to the shooter and let them shoot on an empty chamber. If they have developed a flinch it will be obvious. I never let my son shoot too long if he's shooting a hard kicker, and always make him wear the shoulder pad harness. And 1" Decelerators help too.

Keep in mind alot of ultralight rifles in non-magnum cartridges kick hard. My 6lb 30/06 with certain loads will kick as hard as my 8lb+ 300WM. Lighter bullets help too which is why I shoot 150gr GMXs. You can check recoil ft lbs using one of the many online recoil calculators.

Not a fan of muzzle brakes either btdt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed MtnHtr. One thing I’ve done that is similar is telling a shooter straight up that I am going to hand him the rifle back and it either will be loaded or not (or have him step away from the bench and look the other way while you work the action either chambering a round or putting the bolt over the top round with an empty chamber). The shooter won’t know and, in my experience, will work very hard not to flinch to avoid the stigma they feel about it. As you said, for the times that the rifle is unchambered, you will know one way or the other whether they are flinching. But this method, in my experience, can help to mitigate a flinch if it’s there as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
As many have said, either will work great if you find a good ammo match for the rifle. Just to make it a bit more concrete, I was looking for a specific ballistic comparison. For one example, I was looking at how Nosler loads these two cartridges. According to what they say, for whatever that is worth, in the TG line of ammo, they load them like this with both zeroed at 200 yds:
7mm RM - 168gr ABLR: Muzzle: 2,880 fps. 500 yds: 2,163 fps; -38.8” drop.
.300 WM - 190gr ABLR: Muzzle: 2,870 fps. 500 yds: 2,135 fps; -39.4” drop.

Almost identical except for the 22gr/13% heavier bullet out of the .300. Probably not going to make a difference in 99.9% of circumstances.

Of course, there are scores of other combinations. But I think that example illustrates how similar they are. The .300 can push a 13% heavier bullet at about the same speed as a 7mm.

That's approximately true, but the .300 requires about 22% more bullet weight to match the BC of the 7mm bullet, so as distance increases the 7mm advantage increases as well.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.