And wide duplex sucks asss

Damn straight!

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe someone can explain the hate for the wide duplex?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have two Swarovski PF 6x42 and two Leupold FX-II 6x36s. Great hunting scopes, lightweight and durable.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Maybe someone can explain the hate for the wide duplex?

It moves the thick ends of the reticle so far away from the center that it's no help in quick holdover work or in bracketing in low light situations.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am not sure if it's my favorite as they vary by rifle and certainly not my primary but I do like the one I have on my 270 Kimber Montana.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't laugh, but I have a fixed 4X Leupold on a Savage 99 .243. It was the only scope I had that had the right eye relief for me on that rifle. So far I like it. In the woodd around here that's all you need anyway. I think a fixed 6X would be too much in the thick brush.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
With all the “reliable “ glass nowadays, why is fixed a thing? Never seen the allure of a fixed scope, especially 6x..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like ‘em on deer/elk guns. I like variables on rifles I shoot at smaller targets or paper more often. 6x is plenty for me on big animals but my eyes aren't that sharp and I like more x’s to shoot dots, small targets, playing with loads etc....

My variables always seemed to live at 5 or 6x when hunting anyway. Fixed just keeps it simple.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reivertom
Don't laugh, but I have a fixed 4X Leupold on a Savage 99 .243. It was the only scope I had that had the right eye relief for me on that rifle. So far I like it. In the woodd around here that's all you need anyway. I think a fixed 6X would be too much in the thick brush.

I hunt a lot in radiata pine plantations where shots can be around 20 - 25 metres and 6x scopes work fine for me. Most shots would be around 40-70 metres though.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I used a Leupold 6x42 with a #4 reticle for a long time in the M8 and FX series then switched to a Meopta 6x42 with #4 reticle. I have been using a Kahles 6x42 with a #4 reticle and so far so good. I tried a Leupold 6x36 and it wasn’t bad but really prefer the 6x42s. They work from feet to way the hell out there

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I too like a straight six but when you hit 60-65 your eyes start needing a little more help. I like variables in the 3-9 or 3.5-10 range. I have a few 4-12s I like too.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some have asked about the Meopta. It is a very good scope, but if you can find the Kahles or Swaro, go that route. I like the Kahles the best for optics with the S&B close on its heels, but the S&B (klassic I think) is heavy. I don’t have a PMII but if anyone wants to trade, I am gun rich and cash poor right now. The Meopta is the best readily available scope there is IMO, now that we’re back on topic.

For the price, the Leupold 6x36 or SWFA are really good too. I really enjoy the AO of the SWFA and the reticle for squirrels hunting. I doubt SWFA had that in mind but the combo is very effective. Tube length on the Leupold is the best I have found for a scope that doesn’t have a straight tube.

If you have a gun that kicks like a mule and want to add some weight, the IOR and Kaps are your huckleberry. The IOR is tank with good optics. The Kaps has better glass at less weight.

Once you get into the Weaver, Burris, Nikon, Sightron realm, they all work fine but once you play with the higher end stuff you will likely stay with those. I do like these on brush style guns. With longer eye relief, a fixed on a slug gun or 45/70 or 444 just work very well.

Micky

“Lighten up Francis”
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Judman
With all the “reliable “ glass nowadays, why is fixed a thing? Never seen the allure of a fixed scope, especially 6x..

When you always looking at hairy critters with the same magnification, everything becomes easier. Lots of 1-4 or 1-6 scopes these days, I have a few, the 1-4's never leave 4x and the 1-6's never leave 6x. Same with several other variables, they stay in one place.

If there is an advantage to more moving parts/lens/prisms, I don't know what it is.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MichieD

When you always looking at hairy critters with the same magnification, everything becomes easier. Lots of 1-4 or 1-6 scopes these days, I have a few, the 1-4's never leave 4x and the 1-6's never leave 6x. Same with several other variables, they stay in one place.

If there is an advantage to more moving parts/lens/prisms, I don't know what it is.

This is the reason I finally converted most of my rifles to fixed power scopes. I found in hunting situations that I wasn't ever changing the power setting. I would zoom in at the range, get the rifle zero'd and then set the scope on 3x 4x or 6x and never change it. Finally gave up most of my variables and swapped out for Leupold 6x36s (FX-IIs and M8s) along with a couple Weaver Classics in 4x and 6x.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I started when I realized all my variables were in the 5-6 range when I was hunting. The only time I used the variable was at the range.

“Lighten up Francis”
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by micky

I started when I realized all my variables were in the 5-6 range when I was hunting. The only time I used the variable was at the range.

Same here. Also besides less mechanical parts they have one less glass lens than a variable which in THEORY should make them a little sharper and brighter than a variable scope of similar optical quality and objective size.

Spence

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Meopta has amazing glass. But the ocular bell is a bit larger and would interfere with the bolt on my 84M. Neither of the two I had made it to 20 rounds on my 338 before some internal part came loose. Sooo... stick with the Leupold. I wish I wouldn’t have sold my 6x36 with LRD reticle. The dials are terrible, but otherwise a nice scope. That rifle has a 1-6 on it now and I really like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which 1-6 ?

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by micky
Some have asked about the Meopta. It is a very good scope, but if you can find the Kahles or Swaro, go that route. I like the Kahles the best for optics with the S&B close on its heels, but the S&B (klassic I think) is heavy. I don’t have a PMII but if anyone wants to trade, I am gun rich and cash poor right now. The Meopta is the best readily available scope there is IMO, now that we’re back on topic.

For the price, the Leupold 6x36 or SWFA are really good too. I really enjoy the AO of the SWFA and the reticle for squirrels hunting. I doubt SWFA had that in mind but the combo is very effective. Tube length on the Leupold is the best I have found for a scope that doesn’t have a straight tube.

If you have a gun that kicks like a mule and want to add some weight, the IOR and Kaps are your huckleberry. The IOR is tank with good optics. The Kaps has better glass at less weight.

Once you get into the Weaver, Burris, Nikon, Sightron realm, they all work fine but once you play with the higher end stuff you will likely stay with those. I do like these on brush style guns. With longer eye relief, a fixed on a slug gun or 45/70 or 444 just work very well.

Micky

The Kahles Helia 6x42 has an image so good that you want to look through the scope just to look through it. I would have traded a wee bit less FOV for a wee bit more eye relief.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use to be until a took a crack at a nice Mule Deer buck at 560 yards in Idaho unit 55 back in 96. I killed that buck it's hanging in my den but after that I put a variable on the Sako

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
729 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.