Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thought some members might (or might not) enjoy this thread--which appeared four years after the cartridge appeared in 2007. Please note that the thread eventually lost steam--and then was revived in 2017: It went almost 200 posts, so I edited it down to the most pertinent:

WILL THE 6.5 CREEDMOOR SURVIVE?
Just as the title says, do you think this cartridge is going to survive. I'm looking into a new rifle in some type of 6.5 and wondering if you think it'll be around or going by the way of most of the WSSM's
Thanks,
Mike [Grunt_0351, last logged on 12/07/15)

I'm for betting that it won't last long commercially. But could be wrong and then some, have been b4.
Dober

I agree it's in the mix and ballistically similar to the 260 and Swede so it may survive in the Loonie crowd or competition shooters but as for hunting no way.
Flyboy Flem

Define "survive".
Unlike the WSMs, brass for the Creedmoor is easily formed from existing cartridges.
BarryC

If you buy a 6.5 Sweed you will have no need to ask the question.
Jim

I think it will. The fact that Ruger's Hawkeyes in it are selling pretty well and the fact that those cheap factory rifles are surprisingly accurate is going to be a factor.
Eremicus

I'll bet it's going to rival the Ruger 300 RSM in popularity-
Royce

Purely looking at the Creed as to it's design and performance, it has few flies...but if it had the 308 based case to source brass, and the same options ie. Lapua brass and ammo options by other mfg. as the 260 does, then it would make those concerned w/the future viability of the round's supply of ammo/brass become moot and the OP would not be asking the question IMO.
65BR

While brass can't be sourced from .308 it CAN be sourced from the 22-250 and that's not going away. Plus - if a guy just can't live without superior brass - Lapua does make 22-250 brass...
Teal

There's another article on the 6.5 Creedmoor in the November issue of Guns & Ammo. In a photo line-up of the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, .260 Rem, 6.5 Rem Mag, and .264 Win Mag it's easy to see what the author of that article is explaining when he says the Creedmoor case was designed from the ground up as a short-action cartridge with a modern shoulder angle as compared to the .260 Rem. Whether the cartridge survives, as in readily available factory loaded ammo, no one can know. As with everything new, the market will decide its long term fate. That said, change and innovation has been the hallmark of the firearms industry for centuries and I applaud companies like Hornady and Ruger for keeping that tradition alive and well.
MacLorry

We could just as well have dismissed the .260 when it appeared because all it did was match what several of the original, redundant military 6.5mm rounds would so. But the .260 was also designed as a niche cartridge, one that fit in a short magazine--and also had consistent chamber and brass dimensions, unlike all those old military 6.5's, including the 6.5x55. Just try using ALL the different brands of 6.5x55 brass in a wide variety of rifles, and you'll understand part of the reason for .260.
Mule Deer

The 260 filled a legitimate need [6.5x55 ballistics in a short action]. The Creedmore, 30T/C, RCM, WSSM, WSM, and other similar cartridges were designed/produced to fill someone's bank account, not to put a better product in the shooters hands.
Dmsbandit

(I believe this ^^^ was the first post I saw that misspelled “Creedmoor,” but far from the last--MD)

My point is that nobody goes to Walmart and buys 6BR ammo or 6BR rifles. In fact, I doubt that 90% of guys pulling triggers have ever even heard of it. Does that matter? No, that isn't the point of the cartridge.
Barry C

(Of course, Walmarts did start carrying 6.5 Creedmoor ammo—as did numerous other gun stores around the world--MD)

I wish somebody would commercialize my favorite 6.5...the 6.5-06. I would definitely buy one of those. I had one a number of years ago but it went to pay for bills during tough times. Oh, wait, ain't that the .256 Newton???
Pastor Dan

Didn't read the entire thread, but, the way the writers in the gun mags are singing it's praises, you'd think its the end all of cartridges.
TBREW401

Oh ,horseschit. Gunwriters are merely explaining it's virtues. It's called writing. It's funny that annoys you since nobody is putting a gun to your head to read them. I have never seen a writer yet that claimed the 6.5 Creedmoor should replace anything. Your gun writer "hate" is showing. Grow up.
Jim62

Will the 6.5 Creedmoor survive? Just look at how long this thread has survived.
Rug3

THIS THREAD APPEARED IN OCTOBER 2011—and was revived again in November 2017:

In 2011, the OP's question seems valid. In 2017 not so much. The consumers have spoken and it appears they DID want a 6.5 Swede that fit into true short action with twist rates suitable for 140g slugs…. The fact that superbly accurate factory ammo that is reasonably priced and readily available has not hurt the 6.5 Creedmoor , either.
Jk 16

A local podunk hardware store I went by had Creed hunting ammo sitting on their shelf in stock.
DakotaDeer

Biggest problem I see with 6.5 CM is that everyone seems to be loading it with H4350 and now I can't find any to load my 30-06 with.
Cantershot

It was designed over ten years ago and just now has shown significant popularity in the marketplace. And look who has been the main promoter - Hornady - and what is their main business? Component sales! In the last few decades, they have become serious purveyors of quality ammo, but components - mostly bullets - were what brought them to this party. It just so happens that the 6.5 Creedmoor also kills critters very efficiently. And the same attributes that make it easy to shoot one-hole groups just happen to be transferable to the hunt.
Bearbacker

It appears the word "fad" must have a new meaning to some at least, like the meaning of the word "gay" changed over the years. To me a round that has been around 10 years or so and getting more popular every year and with sales of the factory ammo, components and the rifles being at such an insane level might lead one to conclude it must not be a fad. I would love to have a profitable "fad" like that !
Nomosendero2

Marketing is great for the initial rollout. Marketing has nothing to do with its continued popularity. If it was marginal or underperformed with the serious shooting public, it would have been panned and lost popularity to another 6.5 the way the .264 did to the 7RM. New cartridges aren’t propped up, especially when the internet is looking for a reason to diminish them.
dtspoke

the vote is in. Just got back from Sportsmans Warehouse. They had boxes of Remington 140 gr pspcl 260 Rem for $35.99. They had boxes of Remington 140 gr pspcl 6.5 CM for $22.99. There were at least 10 other brands weights types of 6.5 CM. Only other 260 Rem I saw was Remington with 120g Barnes. Even Remington is killing the 260.
Sycamore

I just wanted to chime in here to say how worried I am that the 6.5 CM won't survive. I mean, if it actually had anything going for it like good ballistics, mild recoil, or accuracy, that would be one thing, but as it stands now, it's obviously just a passing fad. I can't sleep a wink!
Yondering

I love Waffle House. Creedmore?
Alwaysoutdoors

Gunwriters have been claiming for decades that America won’t take to 6.5’s. I’m betting this one breaks the mold. It’s been real hard for hunters to admit that recoil is not fun. The LR/tacticool community’s adoption of the round gives guys an excuse to quit the 300 mags.
And quite frankly, it has the SD to reliably take game larger than deer, something that cannot he said of 6mm and 25 cal rounds. In other words, guys shoot it well and it kills well. My guess is it stays with force.
Bellydeep

Never underestimate the way that people will fall for a cool name. (Not to mention their indignant denial that they do so.
5sdad

What's even cooler is watching my 6.5 Tikka T3X, which cost me $560 at Whittaker's, print .25-.55 groups all day long with factory ammo, with mild recoil.
JGRaider

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You are just picking on them now John. wink

It does shoot well though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Woah. I made the list!

I don't remember typing that tho lol.

Creed did grab my attention back then. IIRC, MD had a Ruger and for some reason I want to say early Ruger Creeds had longer barrels than they do now.

Me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There's been more than a few cartridges that have been kicked to the curb in the recent past. The 6.5 Creed will be around for a long time.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s simple, it’s fun to shoot.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Teal,

Yep, that particular Ruger was a Hawkeye blued/walnut model with a 26" barrel. It was actually the very first 6.5 Creedmoor rifle I'd ever seen, and was on the rack at Capital Sports & Western Wear. The head of the gun department (who I trust) told me they shot like crazy, and they'd just had to order more.(By the way, I copied and pasted your post.)

From the store, I phoned the editor of my primary gun magazine and asked if he'd be interested in an article, saying I had a pretty good deal going. They hadn't published anything on the 6.5 Creedmoor yet, and he said yeah, so I bought the rifle and 3-4 boxes of factory ammo. Kinda wish I'd kept it, because it shot so well--but had to try other 6.5 Creedmoors to make sure the accuracy wasn't an aberration. Am not on my 5th, a Bergara B-14 Ridge, which four days ago averaged .35 for 3-shot groups at 100 yards with the first load tried with 135-grain Hornady A-Maxes and Vihtavuori's new N555 powder. A little tweaking and it might shoot....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wonder how it stacks up for non-military calibers of the last 100 years in terms of popularity?

Better than the .250 Savage I’m thinking.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

I didn't mean to imply you did anything other than copy/paste, just that I didn't remember!

Always paid attention to your writing as you've always been more complimentary to Rugers than most back in the day. Combine that with the Creedmoor being the first SA cartridge that interested me, why I remember you mentioning the long tube on that rifle but not the post. Hell my cat's name is Creed and I don't even own one.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yup, I'm sure of it, I want one. Just don't know which one yet. The 6.5 CM just has too many good attributes to pass it up.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Teal,

I understand completely! Hell, I often have somebody quote something from a long-ago article I supposedly wrote--and I didn't write!

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Wonder how it stacks up for non-military calibers of the last 100 years in terms of popularity?

Better than the .250 Savage I’m thinking.

Since it came out on 2007 (per Wiki), we've seen a slew of new cartridges it seems.

Maybe as far back as the WSM till now, has the industry ever seen so many new cartridges introduced/adopted SAAMI?

Lament wildcats not being popular because so many new cartridges are avail, factory, to scratch almost every itch.

Me

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also mention (as I have several times in the past) that I do NOT think the 6.5 Creedmoor is the ultimate round for small to medium big game--which I would class as up to elk size. But have used it enough (and seen it used by hunting partners) on game up to 6x6 bull elk at various ranges that will say that I can't see any damned difference between it and the .270 Winchester. Or for that matter most other rounds in the same class.

But have also mentioned here and there that the longer I hunt big game the less difference is apparent in how differcent cartridges/bullets in the same broad class kill 'em.

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Four years is a long time...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This particular snapshot into the recent past here on the fire is one of the more interesting, given the plethora of varying yet strong opinions on the Creedmoor.

A few seem to have found their way into the stables here, and after making some friends, I don't see any reason why they won't be staying. My daughter loves hers, as does my wife.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

John,
What would you consider the optimum class of cartridges for critters up to and including elk?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

John,
What would you consider the optimum class of cartridges for critters up to and including elk?

Uh oh,

maybe we need a separate thread for that?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Valsdad

John,

Uh oh,

I promise any answer John comes up with I will leave it alone!........lol.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 6.5CM is a good one, I finally succommed and got one on trade. As a hand loader, much of the advantage is lost for me. I have owned and still have several 6.5's. The 6.5CM really does nothing better than my 6.5X57 or 6.5X55 will do. The new powders and bullets apply to the older ones as well. I find no real advantage in velocity or accuracy between them. For factory ammo, then yes the 6.5CM wins this race. The T3X 6.5CM will be for sale soon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

John,

Uh oh,

I promise any answer John comes up with I will leave it alone!........lol.

You're not the only one on here though wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

You're not the only one on here though wink

True..........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
785 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 81 invisible), 3,066 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.