Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by WTM45

Atheism comes in a scale, weak atheist at one end, strong atheist at the other. Any reasonable atheist would change their position if evidence for the existence of a God or gods came along

I wonder what kind of Christian M45 is on the
theistic scale , young earth creationist or one of
many variants of compromised faith heretic ..

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Starman

Got something to ask me? I'm game.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
God? You mean your imaginary friend? No, haven't seen hide nor hair of him (or her, I guess) nor has anybody that ever worked in a pediatrics ward for long.

Ok.... so you don’t believe in “God.”

And your reasoning.... perhaps justification.....is what has been seen in a pediatrics ward.

There is war, famine, illness, death.... unfair loss....heartache and woe in this world .... to be sure.

Why?

Do you see anything good? Love, overcoming, victory, joy, friendship.... anything like that?

Why?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Not even close. Atheism is nothing more than a lack of conviction in the existence of a God or gods. Anyone of any political persuasions can lack conviction.

That's more of a definition of agnosticism.
Atheism is a FIRM belief and faith that there is NO God or gods. None.

Within the context of modern definitions, and current usage, you are wrong.

Agnosticism is actually a sub-set of atheisms, where an atheist is defined as those who do not believe any theistic claims have met their burden of proof. In atheist circles it's often referred to as "soft-atheism". Those who take the position that the counter proposition IS true, i.e. there is no god(s), and hold that proposition has met it's burden of proof are called anti-theist, or hold the position of "hard-atheism".

Of course there are variants of this, where some hold that certain definitions of god(s) do not, or cannot exist, but do not extend that to all possible god claims.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Got something to ask me? I'm game.

What kind of Christian are you?

What do you believe, and why do you believe it?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
It's so typical and predictable that the God botherers can immediately, arrogantly, presume the attitude of superiority to assign and attach political beliefs to someone who does not share their faith. I don't have faith...ergo:In your mind, I am a Marxist. I might note this is the same level of arrogance and superiority that allow you to come to my door, spouting your dogma, informing me of your superior enlightened views and attempting to shame me because I do not share them. And a few hundred short years ago, you were prepared to take my life for my lack of compliance to your views. Now there's a Christian principle at work, amply recorded in history.

So, are you disappointed and angry with God?

How about you respond to what he actually wrote?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
It's so typical and predictable that the God botherers can immediately, arrogantly, presume the attitude of superiority to assign and attach political beliefs to someone who does not share their faith. I don't have faith...ergo:In your mind, I am a Marxist. I might note this is the same level of arrogance and superiority that allow you to come to my door, spouting your dogma, informing me of your superior enlightened views and attempting to shame me because I do not share them. And a few hundred short years ago, you were prepared to take my life for my lack of compliance to your views. Now there's a Christian principle at work, amply recorded in history.

I did.....

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Only Dawkins holds belief in such a described scale. Please tell me who besides him has said such.

You either don't believe in gods (Atheist), you think there might be gods but don't know (Agnostic) or you fully believe there is a god (Religious).

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I did.....

And I think it confirmed exactly what flintlocke wrote.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regarding slumlords OP:
John 16:33 KJV

33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
How different might one’s outlook on life be if one had absolute confidence that God was with em’...? How differently might one respond to difficulties, temptations, and ‘all’ tribulations if one knew with certainty that God was with them in all of it and was going to walk with them through it...?
The first century followers of Jesus had a seemingly irrational faith in the face of random acts of violence, tragedy, persecution...I say irrational because when bad things happened they turned to God for comfort even though they were confident that God could’ve kept those bad things from happening in the first place. Like us, they wondered “why...?”, but they kept believing, and they kept praying...things didn’t always add up, things didn’t always make sense, but...they maintained hope even when they didn’t have explanations.
Peter, to whom many bad things had happened, assured them that their hope was not in vain because their hope was anchored to an event, the resurrection of Jesus. And as an eyewitness of both Jesus’ crucifixion and His resurrection, Peter’s words carried weight.
They carried weight then, and they carry weight today. Their death-defying confidence in God, fueled by this teaching of Peter, is why while there is no more Roman Empire, there are a great number of Christian churches in many major and minor cities and towns and villages all over the world today. And to the degree that our faith is anchored to what their faith was anchored to, I believe that we too can live with hope that even though we don’t always have good explanations, there is still reason to believe.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Only Dawkins holds belief in such a described scale. Please tell me who besides him has said such.

You either don't believe in gods (Atheist), you think there might be gods but don't know (Agnostic) or you fully believe there is a god (Religious).

Check the distinctions between strong and week atheism, and agnosticism....which is also a form of atheism.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You failed to recognize henotheism and polytheism.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Add as many definitions as you please. Set that scale to slide through any level of belief (singular or multiple) or disbelief you may deem necessary.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It all comes down to evidence or absence of evidence. Do you have any reason/evidence to believe in the existence of Brahman? Allah?

Last edited by DBT; 12/13/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The only thing that can equal a spirited discussion on politics is a topic on religion. I have always wondered where/what the correlation is.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Without God there's a lot left. How about we begin with our Constitution and the 7,000 years of history rooted in the British Iles that culminated in it's creation.
Our Constitution is indeed based on Christian thought and British history, such as the Magna Carta are indelibly Catholic documents.

Please tell what there is in my political and economic beliefs that resonates of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels?
I don't know all of your politics, maybe not even any of it. But would you be against laws repealing no-fault divorce? Are you against basic Christian education in school? Would you be against laws blocking women from assuming combat roles in the military? Would you be against laws citing Biblical justifications?

Starman, like Marx, claims that religion is the "opiate of the masses" when in reality it is just the opposite. Starman, Marx and other Progs promote license under the banner of "freedom" yet all they really do is promote chaos. Chaos, which of course, the Statists have solutions for. Isn't that convenient?

For instance, look at the liberal divorce laws. No fault divorce, splitting the property between 2 of the parties while completely ignoring the children, etc. What's the result of this chaos Progressives/Marxists have created? Poverty, mental illness, crime and alienation. And of course, to solve all these things, we need more police, government mental health care & counseling, and elaborate court system to enforce divorce decrees. And as a bonus, all those alienated children grow up sexually confused having little or no idea what it means to be a man and they vote for more government. Nice trick, isn't it?

Tyrone,

Are you so oblivious that you can't even read my signature block:

Nobody spends somebody else�s money as carefully as he spends his own.
The U.S Government has a unique capacity for getting things upside down.
Milton Friedman.

Do you even know who Milton Friedman is?
Do you have any idea what he says about the family unit and divorce? (obviously not.)

Are you against basic Muslim Education in school?
Would you be against laws citing Koranic justifications?

As for the Magna Carta, of course it used Catholic language, the original version was written by a Catholic Archbishop, and later annulled by a Catholic Pope, Innocent III, which lead to another war. In the 1600 the Magna Carta was used to argue against that all so Christine doctrine of the Devine Right of Kings.

Bottom line is, I'm about the furthest think you can find from a Marxist, demonstrating your characterization of Atheist as Marxist is not correct. With all due respect, it's simple 4th grade set theory where you draw venn diagrams.

I hate to use the term, but yes to be a "True Marxist", you must be an atheist in the sense that you cannot believe in a supernatural god. But that does not make all atheist Marxist. , and every time you claim is does, you do a disservice to yourself by diminishing your integrity.

If you have issue with Marxist, that fair. So do I. Take it up with the Marxist.

If you have an issue with my non-acceptance of your theistic claims. That's fine we can discuss the factual reasons why, in my opinion, your theistic clams fail to meet their burden of proof.

What you may not do is claim that my non-belief in your God makes me a Marxist. It's dishonest, and offensive, so if you are a man of integrity, you need to stop.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by cuznguido
The only thing that can equal a spirited discussion on politics is a topic on religion. I have always wondered where/what the correlation is.

There are independent but both try and control lives

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Starman would have got along famously with Karl Marx.
Precisely how do you get Marxism out of my posts?
They are totally materialistic. And usually deconstructionist too.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! Where'd that come from?

You may not be a political Marxists, but you certainly sound like a social one. Nihilism is one of Marxism's hallmarks.
But hey, if you are right, wear it proudly! Instead, you come off like you are ashamed.

Politics is War by Other Means
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Atheism has nothing to do with politics, character or the ability to appreciate life. Atheists can feel wonder and be in awe of the scale and scope of the Universe without imagining a creator.

Page 15 of 26 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.