Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alaska definition of "Take" :

take - taking, pursuing, hunting, fishing, trapping, or in any manner disturbing, capturing, or killing or attempting to take, pursue, hunt, fish, trap, or in any manner capture or kill fish or game.

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/general.pdf page 34, upper right hand corner...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You’d have to be a pretty big nerd and retard at the same time to believe a drone is going to work better than a dog.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its all in the sales pitch and he can string a line of BS a mile long to the naive.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ you can’t make this kind of stuff up!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
All in all, it just seems like it would make more sense to shoot them right in the first place.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sharp_things

***At no time during this recovery effort is any member of the search party allowed to be in possession of a weapon (firearm, archery gear or crossbow) *** (exception for CC holders)

***If during the location process, the animal sought after is determined to be alive, Drone search efforts will immediately be terminated ***

***I cannot and will not fly in the following conditions: Rain, Snow, dense fog, or winds in excess of 15 miles per hour. If any of these conditions develop after the search has begun, the search will be terminated***[/b]

This is a joke, right? Satire maybe?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 78CJ

***At no time during this recovery effort is any member of the search party allowed to be in possession of a weapon (firearm, archery gear or crossbow) *** (exception for CC holders)

***If during the location process, the animal sought after is determined to be alive, Drone search efforts will immediately be terminated ***

***I cannot and will not fly in the following conditions: Rain, Snow, dense fog, or winds in excess of 15 miles per hour. If any of these conditions develop after the search has begun, the search will be terminated***[/b]

This is a joke, right? Satire maybe?

It's so awesome....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Hint: if you have not found the critter you are still "hunting" for it.

Didn't you read the "brochure?" "If during the location process, the animal sought after is determined to be alive, Drone search efforts will immediately be terminated."

That means, "everything that happened up to that point didn't really happen."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

Didn't you read the "brochure?" "If during the location process, the animal sought after is determined to be alive, Drone search efforts will immediately be terminated."

But can you unbreak a law?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I can't but ol 'shart can. He can put corn on the ground, shoot a deer, get a citation, pay the citation, and months after the fact, he can unbreak the law by "explaining the circumstances."

A drone strike "takeback" should be a piece of cake compared to that.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Id probably would have spent that $10,000 on that you wasted on that evo 2 thermal drone and updated my carpet and furniture in your house.( based on the background pic) But that's just me.

How's your worldwide successful international bow hunting consulting business doing in the year of covid and with all of the travel restrictions?

2 days ago I bought my first drone. (Evo 2 Dual) Ive never flown a drone before and Prior to buying this drone had only watched my Nephew fly a drone a couple years ago. By the time I got most of what I wanted on top of the evo 2 Dual rugged, Ive bought some silent props, a couple more batteries, an Ipad, an AlienTech signal booster due to tree canopy, prop guards and I have modified the rugged case into a backpack. Im at about $12K into this investment. Im studying for the 107 pilots certification (since I will be using this drone in a commercial capacity) and have gotten insurance on the drone itself and im investigating liability insurance with my agent.

The reason for this investment is that I am starting another company under my parent company. This Division will focus on animal carcass recovery (and human search and rescue should the need present itself) As a traveling hunter that bowhunts all over the world. I will travel with this unit but when Im back home I will offer a service to people to locate big game animals they have hit but cant find/recover via conventional tracking by looking for the heat signature of the animal. If too many hours have passed, I will search for the heat signatures of the wolves, coyotes, bear, avian, etc, feasting on the carcass.

As I said, Ive never flown a drown before until today. I took the unit up for the first time today. I made a video of that maiden voyage . I did about a dozen manual take offs and landing and explored the regular and thermal cameras.

I will have many months to perfect the process of flying and filming. I plan to take the drone with me to Africa next fall for a bow hunt.

Legality: since there are many self appointed internet game wardens that dont know the law but will pretend they do (You know who you are)

Many states have prohibitions in place against using a UAS to hunt animals but after hunting has ceased and no weapons are present and people are employing a UAS in a search capacity for a carcass simply by flying over a property, there is no prohibition. The one person in WI that currently offers this service has already supplied me with the email from the WI DNR explaining this. This same person has even had WI DNR wardens accompany him on carcass locations. Should I locate a game animal that is wounded but still alive. I will cease any further drone activity and return the drone to home base. At that point, The client will be on their own to go and get a weapon to dispatch the animal (if its daylight) or let it be until morning .

This does not mean the self appointed internet game wardens here will accept that this is legal. I would expect them to ignore the facts and continue to pretend that this is illegal. (I will laugh)

Here is the very first flight as I learn the controls and play with both camera modes. I will have many months to get proficient flying and filming.

Because the thermal imaging drone and all the required gear like extra batteries, launch/landing pad, site lighting, Ipad, etc are approaching 30 pounds and Because deer and bear and other critter carcass locations (and human search and rescue efforts) will likely take place in very remote areas, I wanted a hands free way to transport all the gear in the very rugged case it came in so I added back pack straps so I can hike it in or carry it via ATV . I like the idea of being hands free or using trekking pole when walking the woods at night while wearing a head lamp. this case is very stout so even if I end up like a turtle on its back all the gear will be safe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Im eager to do some carcass location (even if its not required and the animal can be found with usual blood tracking methods) just to understand the limitations and of the tool the lag time before a carcass is so cool that is doesnt put off enough heat to detect.

Im sure some might object to this (but then again this is the interweb and people will argue over the color of the sky) I wont care. The only other person in WI offering this service is swamped with requests and every state has a network of tracking dogs to aid in game recovery so clearly there is a need. I intend to travel with this drone to Africa next fall for a bow hunt im doing. I dont get on this site very often as I am usually out of state, bowhunting somewhere so if there are questions, I will only be as responsive as time allows. Many of the bowhunting destinations I enjoy come with the added bonus of little to no cell service.

Ive spoken with a friend that is a Captain with a local police force that said I should not be surprised if I am called upon . He said I should make other local police and sheriff offices aware that this could be of service.

Im in the process of drafting a list of specific questions I will conduct over the phone when a hunter contacts me to enlist my help using the drone for carcass location. When I eventually create a web space for this service such questions will be posted there. This is a living document that is not mature and a work in progress. Please suggest other questions I may ask as it relates to site specific data. I understand I will need to check sectional charts to understand the airspace I may be entering. Also, if you spot any errors in what Ive already written, mention them. Thank you.

Carcass Recovery Questionnaire

***I cannot and will not fly in the following conditions: Rain, Snow, dense fog, or winds in excess of 15 miles per hour. If any of these conditions develop after the search has begun, the search will be terminated***

Name of person requesting carcass location service: ____________________

Phone Number of same person: __________________________________

County where carcass search will be conducted: ________________________

Nearest municipality (city/town/Village): _______________________________

Nearest intersection of 2 roads:______________

Will the search take place on private land or public land : ________

If public land, it the land county, state or federally controlled: ____

Is the property a military operations area? :____________

Do you anticipate that the animal remained on the property you have permission to search or do you think it may have crossed onto a neighboring
property? :________

If the animal crossed onto another property, do you have express written or verbal permission to enter that property to search? :______________

Does the property where the search will be conducted contain any of the following:

Power transmission lines, Cell or radio towers, Wind turbines? :_______________

Species of animal carcass to be located: _____________________________

Weapon used while hunting (firearm, archery gear or crossbow): ____________

If Firearm, what caliber: ______________

If archery or crossbow, what broadhead was used: _____________ F____ M____

did you get an arrow or bolt pass through or is it assumed, still in the animal: _____

What time and date was the animal hit: __________________

How far (in yards) have you already tracked the animal: ________________

How far (yards) from last tracking sign can a 4 x 4 truck be brought in:__________

Is the start point for the search accessible by 4 wheel drive truck:__________

If not accessible by truck, is the area accessible by ATV:_________________

Using the image below, give the number and letter intersection of the assumed impact: _____

Edit. Playing around more today.

And if Wisconsin ever gets pythons, I have another search to conduct.

Now, I fully expect an array of very ignorant comments to follow. I can even predict who the ignorant comments will come from (yes you have been patterned and it was very easy.) wink If Ive learned one thing in my time here its that the level of ignorance from many here is on a scale that could best be described as epic. There are many that dont have a clue as to what they are talking about yet they talk and talk. Its actually pretty entertaining. This topic will bring out those folks in short order. It will be funny. This thread will grow like wild fire (Like all my threads)

FYI, I did not purchase this drone to turn a profit. Truth be told, my accountant said I needed to spend some money to offset the fantastic year we had so I started a couple ventures under my parent company so I could have some capital expenditures in 2020. I am a traveling bowhunter and will use this device should the need arise but since I will have it, I will create an entity that provides this service. There is a real need for tracking dogs and this is the next evolution in game recovery so this enterprise was born. It need not be profitable. FAct is, I could stand to actually finally write off a loss for a change.

There are a lot of ways I can convert a FLIR Boson capable drone into a profit center on a year round basis as opposed to finding game animals 4 months of the year. I happen to hunt someplace in the world nearly year round and I do bowhunting product testing for companies so for my business I will have a lot of opportunity to use this but to the many dullards here that are simple workers/functionaries, they wont be able to comprehend this either. This will upset them so they will lash out and showcase their ignorance. (I will laugh) get ready to be entertained by some of the dumbest schidt you will ever read from these guys. They will pout and whine and piss and moan and manufacture stuff that is false but makes them feel good. Its will be funny. Jealousy does not wear well on them.

Last edited by ribka; 12/15/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GregW
You know how fast that heat signature is going away after a critter is dead when it's cold?

I'm not sure exactly, except to say that if you don't spend at least that much time trying to find the animal before you "call in the drones" then you don't have a hair on your ass.
I shot an elk late afternoon. I mostly skinned it but on the neck I didn't leave enough space between the meat and hide. It was just above freezing but some of the neck meat was still warm the next morning. Nothing spoiled, luckily.
This year I shot a cow elk about 2pm. I used my UTV winch to get it in the pickup and haul it home whole to skin in a more convenient place. When we skinned it about 8pm, the body heat was steaming in the 25F air.

A big animal will be warm for quite a while.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've done the same twice, as far as shooting an elk in the evening but not recovering it until morning.

And I still wasn't ready to call some jackwagon with a drone to bail me out, which was my point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I can't but ol 'shart can. He can put corn on the ground, shoot a deer, get a citation, pay the citation, and months after the fact, he can unbreak the law by "explaining the circumstances."

A drone strike "takeback" should be a piece of cake compared to that.

Maybe he should get with Nugent on the corn thing...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't own one but have seen some footage from drones equipped from infrared cameras and used for research work counting song bird nests in brushy environments. Every little sparrow or mouse lights up like a candle.

1Minute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 1minute
Don't own one but have seen some footage from drones equipped from infrared cameras and used for research work counting song bird nests in brushy environments. Every little sparrow or mouse lights up like a candle.

Which was exactly my point.

We all know animals retain heat for a bit of time. Good luck with figuring out what's what after a 12-24 hour period....

A warm neck or ass might look like a raccoon....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a little dog.

Save the drone for spying on neighbors.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Get a little dog.

After following hounds all my life and having a deer tracking dog, I can tell you that he isnt in any sort of shape for that. Lol

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bigwoods
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Get a little dog.

After following hounds all my life and having a deer tracking dog, I can tell you that he isnt in any sort of shape for that. Lol

Probably 15 years ago I called Deer Search to help track a buck I hit with the shotgun. The guy came and we proceeded to take up the track. Not a chance the OP could follow a tracking dog through the stuff where that buck went.......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can see that it may be faster than finding/deploying a helo for (human) search, rescue, and recovery work. In some fortunate cases, anyway. where the logistics worked out.

Wonder how the concept would sit with the large Apache reservations here, were trophy bulls can cost a hunter $50K. They are basically under Federal regs, plus any specific regs the tribe may have enacted. The idea seems headed for 'clarification-by-jury', or judge at least. It's fairly common here for a bull to be shot near the border of the res on public land, then make it back over to the res before expiring. Apache wildlife enforcement officers are a) savvy; b) keen on where their property starts; and c) committed. Situation could get spicy.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.