Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thinking hard about taking Hank the PP to SD next year to put him on some wild roosters. Curious as to folks thoughts on the good/best times to go? I like the idea of more/younger birds early, but also realize it's going to be more crowded and one could be dealing with unharvested crops. Likewise, later would have fewer/smarter birds and a better chance of dealing with tough weather. Appreciate the pros to cons on early vs later.

All of my trips (ND, IA, KS) to this point have been in mid to late November. Likely would be staying in a motel, but in an effort to keep costs down I'd not be against packing the wall tent that far and camping.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spend the summer working your dog and your shooting skills. Join the Navhda "North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association" to really work the dog.
Join a Sporting Clays league and get your long range shooting down.
Go late season and whackem.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A few thoughts: I wouldn't let your ideas on more birds vs fewer birds go any further. There's no such thing in a practical sense. There are plenty of birds here at the end of every season. They can be more spread out earlier and more concentrated later but more v fewer doesn't really exist.

I'm not sure if places will be more crowded or not earlier in the season. Hunt during east river deer season and you'll know crowded, if you're on public land.

You can get weather any time. For two years in a row I've hunted the second weekend of the season, still in October, with snow up to my ass and daytime highs in single digits.

Finally, you probably just need to pick a time that works for you and come out, and deal with the conditions here at the time as you find them. Pack your tent and plan to find a motel if it starts to snow. Hunt where the birds are at when you get here. Helpful? let me know

PS. My advice for all is to pick at least one day and pay for some access to private land. You'll be glad you did.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whats current price per shooter for private access on average? Also, how do you typically locate farmers who are leasing ground? Never done it and curious. Thank you

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No idea what current price is. Depends on your area I suppose.

How do I locate them? By being their friend/counsel/relative. Without those connections, it would have to be by getting the word out through word of mouth or advertising or something I suppose.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't have any friends or relatives in SD. Was just curious what hunting rates there were based on your experience and recommendation in post above. Headed out this weekend to shoot a few more here. Take care.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 30338
Whats current price per shooter for private access on average? Also, how do you typically locate farmers who are leasing ground? Never done it and curious. Thank you

Plenty of places to pay to hunt. Just google it. Don't waste your time trying to round up private land. Guides and people that have been going there for years are way ahead of you. There is so much open land to hunt. You just have to work a little. OnX is your friend along with all the information SDGF&P provides. The birds are there. We just load up the truck with our guns and dogs and head out. The people that live in the smaller towns are the friendliest and most helpful people you will ever meet. You can stop in a little hole in the wall town and go into a restaurant to have breakfast and talk to people. They'll suggest places to go. If you don't get a limit of birds it's because your dog sucks or your shooting sucks.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've hunted near Artesian in late Nov and early Dec a couple of times. Never early season. I always did really good on the public state sections, though they require non-toxic shot.

People do good there in the early season too but the crowds being thinned out by Thanksgiving and December make the choice easy for me. The snow also helps me find birds. I'll happily deal with fewer birds than I would earlier in the season and deal with some birds flushing out of range---to not have to deal with so many people. You'll for sure see a lot more standing corn and sorghum if you go in Oct or early Nov, which can draw the birds out of the state areas and into areas that are off limits to you.

I have zero idea about the camping though.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the information/discussion. Will likely be in SD next fall and the timing may just be dealt with by the big game draws, SD included.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Early season....the crowds aren't the problem? The crops are! I went this year and was unimpressed with the hunting. Now they added another fee to the license that makes it 150ish fot 10 days to hunt. I think I'm done hunting SD for birds.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
Likely would be staying in a motel, but in an effort to keep costs down I'd not be against packing the wall tent that far and camping.

Take the tent then you will get the whole experience smile

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes a wall tent in SD winds it will likely end up in Kansas with Dorthy! Stay at a comfortable place and enjoy the hunt. dukxdog,s place is great! Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Yes a wall tent in SD winds it will likely end up in Kansas with Dorthy! Stay at a comfortable place and enjoy the hunt. dukxdog,s place is great! Kurt
He's on my short list of folks to call! Tent idea is just me pinching pennies.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You might want to use a camping cabin in one of the state parks or recreation areas. I think they go for $30 a night?

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BKinSD
You might want to use a camping cabin in one of the state parks or recreation areas. I think they go for $30 a night?
Thanks for that suggestion. Staying someplace isn't out of the question, especially if I can talk someone from here to tag along with me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
143 members (257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,897
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.