A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by flintlocke
H335 was the WC852(? not sure of that number) govt contract powder for Ball M193 and enough of it was used by the benchresters to establish it's bona fides accuracy wise. If you burn a bunch of it you will see some variation of lots and will need to tweak the load a little if your rifle is picky.

That would be WC844.
WC846 = Blc(2)
WC852 = H380. Be careful with 852, there were some fast lots that didn't meet milspec that were surplused, so start a bit lower than normal when you work up with it.

This is some good info. Thanks for posting.

The most accurate loads I've put together for the AR all featured milsurplus WC846. It's really good stuff, just work up your loads in the summer.

Same for the .338 Win Mag, but with WC852. I've shot some really good groups with it behind 200gr NBT's, but I'm not comfortable with just how hot those loads are, so I stick to the non-canister H4831-sc I have for the rifle.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
If TAC and CFE223 are the options I'd go with TAC without a second thought. I wasted some time and money trying CFE223. I've never heard or read of anyone finding top accuracy with it.

Agree. I could not get CFE to shoot accurately in .223. I have a lb of BLC2 I'm going to try. If I can't get it to shoot I will go back to AA2520 and 748.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The most accurate load I've ever shot in any 223 that I've had, and that's been a bunch, has been with WC846 and a 50 grain VMax bullet, Winchester cases and Remington 7 1/2 primers. I have an 8 pound jug left, and I'm probably hoarding too much.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The most accurate load I've ever shot in any 223 that I've had, and that's been a bunch, has been with WC846 and a 50 grain VMax bullet, Winchester cases and Remington 7 1/2 primers. I have an 8 pound jug left, and I'm probably hoarding too much.

I believe that.
Substitute 50gr Nosler Varmagedons, and CCI 450's for me.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by NVhntr
If TAC and CFE223 are the options I'd go with TAC without a second thought. I wasted some time and money trying CFE223. I've never heard or read of anyone finding top accuracy with it.

Agree. I could not get CFE to shoot accurately in .223. I have a lb of BLC2 I'm going to try. If I can't get it to shoot I will go back to AA2520 and 748.

kwg

Same.

I've had better luck with TAC.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shooters World Precision Rifle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious if anyone has tried IMR-4166 as a replacement for Varget

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lucked out with the last two 8 lb ers of varget from Recobs just a couple weeks ago. So I’m setting good for a while.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Shooters World Precision Rifle

How was your experience with it?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Shooters World "match". Is a nice flowing ball powder in that burn rate. I get mine from Midway when they have the free shipping
so i pay only 12.50 haz-mat.I wish i would have found this powder before burning up a couple of pounds of CFE 223, which i
like in my 17Rem but nowhere else.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
RL 15 or Win 748

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by passport
What about AR comp? Heard about it but never tried it

AR Comp is a good Varget substitute but it's stick too, it's not going to meter well either. If I remember right the grains are a bit shorter than Varget so that might help.

I'll second the CFE223 recommendation. More temperature sensitive, but gives good velocities and meters well.

I find that AR-Comp meters pretty darned well. Not as nicely as TAC or H335, but not bad at all. I use a baffle in my UniFlow, so maybe that helps.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tac or CFE 223 as has been discussed.
Tac has a ton of other options in other calibers (not unlike varget but for faster burning applications). Not sure if CFE 223 has quite the amount of load data.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess I'm the odd man out. I absolutely love CFE-223. It returns excellent accuracy in my couple .223's, meters beautifully, and for me at least in my barrels, lives up to its copper fouling reduction claims. The folks I know in "real life" report the same - it's only on the internet that I hear CFE-223 bashing. (Kind of like with Leupold scopes - no "real life" bashing but plenty of it on the 'Fire.)

As for metering issues with stick powders, I use an ancient Belding&Mull and a newer Harrell's and get very very acceptable results, such that I don't bother weight checking each load on a scale. I found that I can't tell a difference on paper between loads of Varget, 4895,4064,4350, etc. that are individually weighed versus simply measured. My suggestion to someone frustrated with his measure: get a different measure. Just because it is painted a shade of green doesn't necessarily mean it's the best.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Agreed that for any given application there is a ball/spherical powder that will do as well as Varget.

Disagree that there is any single ball/spherical powder to use for Varget in every application..

Tac certainly in a .223/5.56 and similar but not in a .376 Steyr..

I suspect but I've never tested it that stick powders may shift less in the case and so have a more consistent burn than ball powders that may be closer to case head/primer or just under the bullet when fired. This as the flip side benefit of not metering well. Hence I will pay the price in nuisance and use say IMR 4064 for some accuracy loads especially in gas guns.. I am often reminded of Mr. Oehler's pistol load that was supersonic with powder back and subsonic with powder forward and the fun he had with it.

That said I use measures from a Little Dandy through a Harrell's to a Quickmeasure for large stick powder loads. It doesn't get the attention it deserves but a search on this board will find a number of people who like Quickmeasure very much..

A good manual measure is approaching the electric powder thrower price range and the only drawback to those is maybe a little slower. I won't replace the Little Dandy but IF I were still competing or loading prairie dog/ground squirrel for the next day I might use two electric alternately on a progressive.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use 15 and Varget in my .308, both shoot tiny little groups. Both outstanding powders.

V
V
Just picked up an 8lb jug of Shooters World Precision to try out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was shooting H380 in my 22-250's but wasn't happy with how it behaved when it got hot on the prairie dog fields, it does some pretty wild stuff when it gets hot. I experimented with several powders and settled on AR-Comp. It gives me good velocities, accuracy, temp stability, and it was widely available at the time which was about five years ago. I laid in a bunch of it and still have 16 lbs in the locker if I remember right.

I like AR-Comp a lot, it's a very versatile powder with a lot of uses and it's consistent which is something I can't say for a lot of others.

Metering isn't something I pay much attention to because I've got two chargemasters side by side I use to weigh everything.

You may need to start a thread on AR comp with 22-250. I've never tried it. Always run H4895, H380 and the like. I love AR Comp in the .223 rem (bolt guns and AR's) and 308w (ar10 and bolt guns). It is extremely consistent and I dont see weird anomalies in group pattern/dispersion when using it in all kinds of temperatures. I've ran that powder through the ringer and it's always been like a loyal dog..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by passport
What about AR comp? Heard about it but never tried it

AR Comp is a good Varget substitute but it's stick too, it's not going to meter well either. If I remember right the grains are a bit shorter than Varget so that might help.

I'll second the CFE223 recommendation. More temperature sensitive, but gives good velocities and meters well.

I find that AR-Comp meters pretty darned well. Not as nicely as TAC or H335, but not bad at all. I use a baffle in my UniFlow, so maybe that helps.

It meters extremely well in my unifow as well. No baffles. Never needed them. To answer the ops question, I believe RL15 is about as close to an alternative as he's going to get to varget. They are like 2 peas in a pot, but RL15 meters much better... IMHO

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I Love H-335 for .223, meters like a dream and superb accuracy. I tried Varget but got less than desireable results. I use H-335 in AR,s and bolt guns with Vmax bullets.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.