Hop To
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by LNF150
This child's 2020 deer hunting adventure is a moment in time I will never forget! His mom, brothers and I knew each other from high school. A few months ago she friended me on f.b. and we were talking about the past 30+ years. She talked about her 14 year old son, how well he does in school and is a big help around the house, so I asked if he ever goes hunting? She said No and that fishing is what he does most. Almost instantly out of my mouth came the words, "He is welcome to come deer hunting with me." His mom grew up in a hunting family yet it really wasn't her thing in life. Basically a nonhunter (like my parents), although she said she would ask her son if he would like to go. Being a thoughtful lad, he thought about it and said Yes. This all took place the first week of November and Kansas rifle deer season starts December 2nd.

Her son being 14 years old can hunt w/o a hunter education card as long as he had a KS Youth deer permit and hunted with a licensed adult. Me being a state hunter education instructor had his mom steer him towards the online hunter education class which is 1/2 of the requirements needed. Outside of a official state sanctioned class involving a cadre of other instructors, I could not give him the other half which is the 'field day' and final exam in a one on one setting. Yet since we would be hunting together, I needed to get him up to speed on what is covered in the manual in a field setting and shooting the rifle he would be using. Plus, we had never met each other before so a lot trust needed to be built in a short time. Besides I am used to teaching H.E. students with other instructors, taking them out to the range, grading their final exams, presenting them with their Hunter Education Cards and a handshake, all the while never knowing how they do on their first time out.

Next I consulted with Proud Dad and Pharmseller on the intricacies of starting out a 14 year old on his first hunt which just so happens to be the main Kansas rifle deer season. They were fantastic help having dealt with their children in the field. Pharm got me headed in the right direction for reloading a series of accurate 'youth' loads out of a Tikka. I didn't know how this child would responded to the recoil, but didn't want to put him behind the loads I use. So him, his Mom and I headed to a waterway I shoot at and from there I took this young man through the hunting ethics, responsibilities, decision making, shoot/don't shoot scenarios, handling and carrying a firearm safely, muzzle control, different types of firearms and types of actions, how to check them to see if they are loaded, safety locations, trigger finger discipline, aiming, breathing, how cartridges work and their different components, crossing fences/obstacles, hunter orange and why we where it, everything I could think of: Then we set up the targets and he practiced with my Tikka 7mm-08 and Ruger MRP. Which he settled into both and did a fantastic job.

His mom dropped him off around 5 am opening morning, we got organized and she wished us a good day hunting. Breakfast on the way out of town and a 15-20 minute drive out into the country. Got parked, put our gear on and walked in guns unloaded. I set Nolan on a high spot over looking a shallow valley of timber, pasture with a stream running through it. I start out every opening day rifle season at this one point. Then we waited as the constellation Orion faded in the west and dawn started to break. Around 7:15 am this buck came out of the woods, stood for awhile looking out across the pasture and I whispered to Nolan he could take the shot if he wanted, but he said the deer was at an angle and would wait (I taught him if he wasn't comfortable with the shot or it just didn't feel right, it was OK to just to hold back and wait). That buck then put his nose to the ground like a bird dog and went ALL over that pasture looking for does, he crossed the creek, then back again, circled around towards us and he stopped. I knew he couldn't smell us because the breeze was in our favor, yet he lifted his tail, trotted across the pasture, passed where he came out, on out another 40 yard and stood broadside at the entrance to a clearing. I knew the gig was about to be up and whispered to Nolan that this would be about as good as it gets, just pretend the paper target diamond is square on the deer's chest, let the bullet do the work. He agreed, settled in while I held the shooting sticks. I could hear Nolan control his breathing; deep breath in, slowly out, in, out, in, let your breath out half way...aim...kaboom. The deer bucked and headed into the clearing.

I congratulated Nolan and he said he put the crosshairs right on the deer chest. So we waited. Now I was going to wait 30 minutes, but because normally deer just fall to the ground when I shoot them with this Tikka I had some unfounded concerns about the lighter load and the distance (this was actually a lot longer shot then I originally mapped out). So we gather our gear and headed to where the deer disappeared, found the blood trail just as the deer jumped up in the clearing and headed across the creek. The deer was bleeding heavily, but also on his death run. Trailed him for a short ways to where he jumped a fence and we lost the blood trail. I had Nolan walk out into a open area covered in little bluestem, while I checked out a small grove of cedar trees. Walking back there was Nolan standing next to his 9 point buck not 30 yards from where we split up. The smile on this child's face was the greatest reward to me. His first hunt ever; safe, successful and having a great time from start to finish.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's fantastic,great smile on the lad in those pics,and it looks like it was a perfect shot,,,
Well done both of you.

BP-B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Buddy and I ran north this morning to fill his doe tag; mission accomplished using my .50 cal w/ the Barnes TTSX; a very impressive bullet!

Love that scope, a 6x42mm w/ German #4 reticle given to me by my good friend kenjs1.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This little baby got to take the Prius ride south, and it set a record season for my buddy who got his first bow kill this year on a nice buck, killed a doe w/ his bow, and now this doe. He has been eating a lot of venison and will continue to do so pretty awesome experience!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My niece (think she is 16 now) shot her buck in Kansas last night. They’d been watching several from a distance. A pair came in close, a real nice 8 point (dads got a 168” net 8 on the wall) and a dink. The pair got spooked, ran off, bro in law bleated, they stopped. She shot. She got mixed up. And now he is making fun of her and calling her The Mayor of Dinkville. She’s shot several better than good deer over the last few years, so it’s all good.

Her head hung in shame at her mixup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blong
Here is a buck I got the afternoon of the Kansas rifle opener. Unfortunately, my son was not able to hunt the opener, so hopefully we can get him on one now.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Nice hat to go with the mass if the deer. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My oldest son's last day Kansas rifle season buck. Neck shot with his Larue Grendel @75yards.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Holy cow! That’s a hell of a way to end the season.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=skeen]My oldest son's last day Kansas rifle season buck. Neck shot with his Larue Grendel @75yards.

--------------------------

Tell him Jerry said, He needs a pacifier to SUCK on ! grin grin

Fantastic Man !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by skeen

What a stud!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Great buck and hat! KSU 2002 here, EMAW

Last edited by crc1514; 12/13/20.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My hat is off to you, sir. For the time and thoughtfulness you put into this kid's life. As long as he lives, that kid will never forget you, or that hunt.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crc1514

Great buck and hat! KSU 2002 here, EMAW

2003 for me.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guess I plain don't agree about giving a kid sh*T about how big a deer they got cheesy. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Guess I plain don't agree about giving a kid sh*T about how big a deer they got cheesy. Mb

Guess you don’t know how to give and take a joke either?

1. She’s shot very nice deer in the past (as stated)
2. She’s shot antelope.
3. She’s shot quail.
4. She’s shot pheasants.
5. She’s a deadly shot.
6. She’s an honors student.
7. She’s a stud athlete.
8. She’s not a snowflake.
9. She can handle some good natured ribbing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by skeen
My oldest son's last day Kansas rifle season buck. Neck shot with his Larue Grendel @75yards.

shocked

Dandy buck for a first OR last day.

WWP53D
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I thought the Mayor of Dinkville was pretty good, made me smile.

I pulled about the same stunt a couple years ago. Two bucks went into a thicket and of course the dink came trotting out first. As I lifted me rifle my 3 year old hollered “shoot him dad!” Guess which buck bit the big one...

We ate him, no biggie. But my old man still gives me sht about it. smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Cheesy]

---------------------------------------

Tell her Jerry said " Look UP & Smile " She scored ! !

IT happens to anyone who hunts much or kills many deer !
Yep me too.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/14/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can think of at least 3 times I shot the "wrong deer". It certainly happens.....lol.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The girl cheesy is talking about is my Granddaughter. She's used to the ribbing, her dad and I give her plenty. As he said, she's also an excellent shot, only missed once since she started at 8 years old. Here's one of her bucks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My niece (think she is 16 now) shot her buck in Kansas last night. They’d been watching several from a distance. A pair came in close, a real nice 8 point (dads got a 168” net 8 on the wall) and a dink. The pair got spooked, ran off, bro in law bleated, they stopped. She shot. She got mixed up. And now he is making fun of her and calling her The Mayor of Dinkville. She’s shot several better than good deer over the last few years, so it’s all good.

BTDT. laugh

WWP53D
Page 17 of 22 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.