Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I've had great luck with B&C. I love McMillan, but twice the price and 10x the wait. With a lot of comp shooters switching to chassis, I wonder if McMillan will eventually feel the pinch.

Mcmillan is doing just fine, as are Manners, Foundation, AG, and all the other more "traditional" stock makers. Chassis usage is actually waning somewhat in many competition circles.

The folks who are really doing well are companies like Grayboe and Mesa who are building a product that is 90% the stock that McMillan and Manners is at barely more cost than B&C.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had great luck with B&C. I love McMillan, but twice the price and 10x the wait. With a lot of comp shooters switching to chassis, I wonder if McMillan will eventually feel the pinch.

I have around 70 McMillan stocks, but they continue to increase the prices and are either at, or damn close to, the point where I will no longer buy from them unless the stock is going on a really special rifle. I was particularly annoyed when they sent a flawed stock to me and charged me the shipping cost to return the defective stock and to ship me the replacement stock. I paid an extra $60 to get the stock that I ordered in the first place and while $60 isn't a lot of money, the fact that McM made me pay for their mistake seems like damn poor customer service.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
With Grayboe, it's hard to spend McMillan money, and now that's I've discovered AG Composites, even harder.

There has never been a better time to be in the market for a quality stock.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Mcmillan is doing just fine, as are Manners, Foundation, AG, and all the other more "traditional" stock makers. Chassis usage is actually waning somewhat in many competition circles.

The folks who are really doing well are companies like Grayboe and Mesa who are building a product that is 90% the stock that McMillan and Manners is at barely more cost than B&C.

Grayboe *is* a McMillan group company. I don’t see McMillan being too unhappy about their success.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Grayboe *is* a McMillan group company. I don’t see McMillan being too unhappy about their success.

I bet not....along with Mc3, their budget lines are killing it.

Last edited by liliysdad; 12/19/20.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I recently bought a chassis. Figured I would give it a try. I wanted another McMillan, but once I priced them out the chassis was like $300 cheaper. It was hard to justify the difference for me personally. I am also building a 6mm rem, and once its done it will most likely wear a B&C. Its not a gun I will probably shoot a lot compared to my steel guns, so hard to pay for a McMillan to sit in the safe most of the time.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I recently bought a chassis. Figured I would give it a try. I wanted another McMillan, but once I priced them out the chassis was like $300 cheaper. It was hard to justify the difference for me personally. I am also building a 6mm rem, and once its done it will most likely wear a B&C. Its not a gun I will probably shoot a lot compared to my steel guns, so hard to pay for a McMillan to sit in the safe most of the time.

Check out Grayboe...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or AG Composites....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Or AG Composites....

Thats my current personal favorite, but I didn't figure folks crying about spending more than $300 on a stock were gonna be interested.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Or AG Composites....

Do they inlet for any actions other that Remington 700s, 700 clones, and Roy MK5s?

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looks like AG is only for rem clones.

My 6mm is a savage(I know, not a coveted action). I called McMillan, and after pricing out the stock plus shipping, I was around $750 eek. That was for a hunting stock in camo gel. The add-ons kill, you, its like buying a car and seeing all the extra charges on the buyer's order. I think sling studs, pillars, and recoil pad should come standard on a stock. Puzzling why I have to pay more for that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like AG is only for rem clones.

My 6mm is a savage(I know, not a coveted action). I called McMillan, and after pricing out the stock plus shipping, I was around $750 eek. That was for a hunting stock in camo gel. The add-ons kill, you, its like buying a car and seeing all the extra charges on the buyer's order. I think sling studs, pillars, and recoil pad should come standard on a stock. Puzzling why I have to pay more for that.

McM sticks it to you with an ala carte menu.

Don't get me wrong, I like the McM Hunter style stocks a lot, but I'm willing to settle for a B&C if the build isn't special enough to justify the additional expense of the McM. I live in a place where I am more likely to see Coopers at the range than parts guns with upgraded after-market barrels and stocks. A lot of younger people seem to think that they will get more value per dollar by buying a production custom rifle like a Cooper in lieu of buying a less expensive rifle and spending the difference on ammo to practice with.

I'm not a tacticool guy, so the quasi sniper rifle stocks don't move me, but the market seems to be going that way and as long as people are willing to pay McM's prices, they will keep raising them until demand plateaus or begins to drop.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Trust me, I really like the McMillan stocks I've owned, but i swear they were $200 less for some reason. Don't recall ever paying $750, not even for an Edge.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by goodshot
If I were a betting man the reason would be B&C made the decision to sell direct to the consumer. It frankly is what most companies are doing. Dealers don’t like it so they move on to other product lines. This is driven by folks expect things in stock and shipped quickly . B&C makes a quality product and I have never encounter a warranty problem.

Exactly...

Fast is Fine but Accuracy is Final.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I replaced a stock Browning with a B & C and was amazed at the improvement in comfort and accuracy. Yeah it felt a little larger in the hand but the skinny factory job was the problem . I got used to the B and C first time at the range where that gun shot lights out for the first time. I had an offer from the guy next to me on it. Only gripe was I believe I needed a slightly longer trigger guard screw.

Fast forward after listening to detractors I decided to step up to an HS Precision for another rifle. Nice looking and felt more.....solid but required more fitting and the recoil from it was unduly magnified. Terrible pads too. Replaced it with a walnut that has a decelerator and am much happier. I would definitely do another B and C.

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/20/21.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dogcatcher- that walnut I mention in the above post is for my Rem 700 in 6mm. It is a Stocky's walnut with a bedding block and I converted my ADL to a BDL and put in a Trigger tech. Like it way better than that HS Precision.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice. I'm excited to play with the 6mm rem. Wanted one since high school, not sure why I waited so long. Too many other guns along the way I suppose.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I replaced a stock Browning with a B & C and was amazed at the improvement in comfort and accuracy. Yeah it felt a little larger in the hand but the skinny factory job was the problem . I got used to the B and C first time at the range where that gun shot lights out for the first time. I had an offer from the guy next to me on it. Only gripe was I believe I needed a slightly longer trigger guard screw.

Fast forward after listening to detractors I decided to step up to an HS Precision for another rifle. Nice looking and felt more.....solid but required more fitting and the recoil from it was unduly magnified. Terrible pads too. Replaced it with a walnut that has a decelerator and am much happier. I would definitely do another B and C.

It's strange that on the 'Campfire the B&C is considered "trailer trash" while at the same time the stocks for the late Remington Ti rifles (made by B&C) were considered the "gold standard". It is indeed a strange world determined by marketing, word of mouth, and trying to keep up with the priciest stocks. Since the weight doesn't matter to me I will continue to use B&C.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
M70man,

B&C's normal sporter stock is about 33-34 ozs. but they still offer the Ti stock for R700's, maybe more? I bought one last year for a short action & it's 25 oz. That's Edge weight or dang close, & half the money.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.