-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang things ain't nothing but muscle. Not interested in wrestling one. I don't even like it when squirrels come back to life on me.

Romans 5:1
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I came on a deer in the ditch that had been hit on a quiet country back road 50 mph speed limit. I could see its back was broken and it was comatose by the looks but still breathing. I looked around in the back of the company truck for something to dispatch it with. Came up with a pin for a D-8 track. Went in to the ditch nudged its head with the 10 pound or so 2 foot chunk of steel, it didn't move so I wound up for the money shot.

I hit it good right between the lookers but the damn thing sprung straight up almost hitting me with flailing hooves I jumped backwards and ended up on my ass. It must have been like 4 feet off the ground when it landed it kicked a couple times and that was it. I'll never do that again without a longer handle!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Knock him out john,,, AAAHHH this things killin me,,,just shoot up here among us,,one of us has to have some relief,,,

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by broomd
I posted here last year about an enormous 6x6 buck that attacked me after I hit it with my truck. Went back to check on the deer and the damn thing jumped up and came right at me.
The struggle ended up in a roadside ditch with us both wrapped up in barbed wire and went on for 40 minutes,. Every time I'd get some space between us, he'd advance. Crazed *&*^^ deer.

I finally finished him off with a 2.5" blade leatherman my wife found in the truck. It was as bad as it sounds.

Another reason I always pack heat now.

Wow! That is something you don't hear everyday. Did you keep the deer?

I know, it was crazy and intense to say the least.

And yes, I called Idaho F&G and was granted permission to legally tag the deer--I hit and wrangled with that buck on Nov 12th 2009 in a late afternoon whiteout blizzard, peak of rut...., I still have the horns hanging. I'll attach a pic of him and the leatherman ;juice'......
A close eye will note that the skull is synthetic, I first clocked him with a tire iron that wife threw to me and I didn't know it, but I had cracked his skull, right between the antlers-- all it did was to further piss him off. Hence the leatherman dispatch.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Deer have retard strength with attitude

Critters like that scare you? Sorry, will try to tone it down.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by las
I am a slow learner, I guess. Twice I have had "dead" moose come off the ground when I had approached within a few feet from the front.

Now I come in from the side or rear, and they get an insurance shot to the head from a few yards out.

THEN I do the muzzle to eye-twitch thing, hot chamber, safety off. I neglected that once on a spike bull laying out in about 16 inches of water and muck after the insurance shot, and just parked the rifle against a bush on dry ground 20 feet away.

When I grabbed his antlers to pull his head around to get him back to shore, he blinked...

Teleportation is a FACT!

........ laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You killed a deer in the last 20 years?

I harvest my own food.

Right

Right

And even self process it too

👍😎

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Take him over to the fence... grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That's a really old video as the host of KY Afield back then, Dave Shuffett, is long retired and the host that replaced him, Tim Farmer, has been retired for probably at least 4 - 5 years now, too.

Wife and I were visiting with an elderly man who was a KY state licensed animal rehaber several years back. At the time he had several does and one mature buck he named, Mikey. He said he got "Mikey" as a fawn and was too tame to release back into the wild again. He let us go with him into Mikey's fenced in area and picked up a solid oak axe handle leaned up by the gate. I asked him why the axe handle if Mikey was so tame and he said Mikey was tame as a pet dog most of the time but he wasn't to be trusted when he was in rut which he was at that time. Said he's gone so far as to saw Mikey's antlers off in past ruts but he still carried the axe handle when ever he was going to be close to him.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

That's a really old video as the host of KY Afield back then, Dave Shuffett, is long retired and the host that replaced him, Tim Farmer, has been retired for probably at least 4 - 5 years now, too.

Wife and I were visiting with an elderly man who was a KY state licensed animal rehaber several years back. At the time he had several does and one mature buck he named, Mikey. He said he got "Mikey" as a fawn and was too tame to release back into the wild again. He let us go with him into Mikey's fenced in area and picked up a solid oak axe handle leaned up by the gate. I asked him why the axe handle if Mikey was so tame and he said Mikey was tame as a pet dog most of the time but he wasn't to be trusted when he was in rut which he was at that time. Said he's gone so far as to saw Mikey's antlers off in past ruts but he still carried the axe handle when ever he was going to be close to him.

At the beginning of the video it says September 1989.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

I harvest my own food.

Right

Right

And even self process it too

👍😎

Man those are nice bucks!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldHat
I posted here last year about an enormous 6x6 buck that attacked me after I hit it with my truck. Went back to check on the deer and the damn thing jumped up and came right at me.
The struggle ended up in a roadside ditch with us both wrapped up in barbed wire and went on for 40 minutes,. Every time I'd get some space between us, he'd advance. Crazed *&*^^ deer.

I finally finished him off with a 2.5" blade leatherman my wife found in the truck. It was as bad as it sounds.

Another reason I always pack heat now.

Wow! That is something you don't hear everyday. Did you keep the deer?

I know, it was crazy and intense to say the least.

And yes, I called Idaho F&G and was granted permission to legally tag the deer--I hit and wrangled with that buck on Nov 12th 2009 in a late afternoon whiteout blizzard, peak of rut...., I still have the horns hanging. I'll attach a pic of him and the leatherman ;juice'......
A close eye will note that the skull is synthetic, I first clocked him with a tire iron that wife threw to me and I didn't know it, but I had cracked his skull, right between the antlers-- all it did was to further piss him off. Hence the leatherman dispatch.

Since then Idaho allows you to keep road kill without wasting a deer tag. You just get online within 72 hrs and fill out a salvage form. I'm told that if you're stopped by a game warden, he'll likely fill one out for you. Most of them don't like to see game wasted, either.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It’s a wonder someone didn’t get killed!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think a lot of grown men think they can take on a pissed off deer.

They're wrong...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was a senior in high school, the chain gang at the ball fired were team mates of the couch at a different school, but they all were buds and went "hunting" each weekend. I had started dating the sister of one of these guys wife, so as they loved out football team I got invited to go to the "Ponderosa" one night after we beat the snot out of the bud coach's team.

Suffice it to say as the only one to young to imbibe, I got elected to drive the big V-8 Buick, by the time we hit Henry County they were pretty cooked. We rounded the corner and I slid to a stop facing a yearling doe standing dazed by the headlights in the gravel road. Teco got out and popped her with his 30-30 and tossed her floppily in the back seat and I heard "Go, go, go" off we went, camp meat and all that you know...

About 60 seconds and a half mile later I heard this awful sound out of the back of the deuce and a quarter, sounded like baseball cards hitting spokes mixed with grunts and cussing and the smell of blood and beer...the head shot doe was alive and contesting the coming bar-b-que, quite effectively I might add. I slammed the brakes on and exited the drivers seat followed by the two front seat riders and the deer, the three in the back resembled something from the Walking Dead crossed by Freddie Kruger with a fist full of switchblades and a chainsaw or two. I was too scared to laugh, the other two unscathed friends were not, reduced to rolling on the ground holding their sides and crying for different reasons than the ones Hors de combat from the back seat.

Reminds me of good advice me old grandpap gave me onect, if ye half to shoot 'em, don stop till you see their brains...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Them guys were breathing like the guys from the deliverance Movie.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yes, several. Pigs are my specialty these days.

I process stuff too.

Looks like your bucks lost their azz.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
lol, they hit the grind

Bout the only way I fix em up anymore.

Keep the straps, grind it all. If i do jerky I extrude. Catch ridicule from buds for using that jerky gun.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
lol, they hit the grind

Bout the only way I fix em up anymore.

Keep the straps, grind it all. If i do jerky I extrude. Catch ridicule from buds for using that jerky gun.

Nothing wrong with making jerky for something to chew on while ice fishing!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have never had that happen to me, but this new hunter I took out hunting, had shot 1 deer previously.
I asked him how it went and he said......
I shot a 2 point whitetail and it was down, I walked up, put my rifle against a tree, and grabbed the bucks antlers, it gets up and now its full on combat, the buck falls and breaks my rifle in half, I manage to pull my knife and stab it in the throat and kill it, lol.
It was his first deer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 56 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.