-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I installed an aftermarket trailer brake on my hunting rig. I mounted it a little too high for the double-sided key ring I carry and when the keys are in the ignition and brush against the controller, I get sparks. The simple solution is, a separate my keychain; problem solved, BUT.......

I assume either the ignition or trailer brake isn't properly grounded? It was a simple installation and nothing was bubba'd. The cord from the brake controller plugged into the factory wire harness.

Thoughts?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you're getting sparks, it's not the ground. You have a hot wire in contact with the controller that needs to be fixed or you have a defective controller. Look behind the screws on the mounting bracket to start with. You might have run a screw into a wire back there.
Use a test light or multimeter to check for a hot controller housing. Try it with your foot both on and off the brake pedal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As a starting point, find out if there's current from the controller casing to a ground with the key turned off and on. If there is, either way, remove the mounting screws 1 at a time and recheck. If you get all the screws out and still have a short to the case, look at your wire connections to see if there's a short there. If not, you might have a bad controller.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shouldn't have a hot controller housing. I think it's plastic, BUT I will verify and check as you've instructed.

Thanks!

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If it's sparking, your keys are hitting something metal and hot. Maybe the mounting bracket? That's why I think you might have run a screw into a hot wire behind it.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Defective controller.

I pulled the controller out of the plastic mounting bracket to remove the screws as instructed above. Long story short; I brushed the face of the controller against a bolt which anchors the drivers seat. The sparks flew.

Thanks Rock Chuck.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm glad you found it before it fried something expensive. It doesn't take much to cook some of the electronics in newer cars.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
More good news: I contacted Hayes, told them what the problem is and they said mail it to us and we'll mail you a new one. Great customer service from an American company and what is touted to be an American-made brake controller (Hayes G2 Brake Boss).

Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.