Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Plotting future projects can be almost as much fun as actually executing them. I recently acquired a very early M1903 Remington barreled action (not 03A3). Looking at it and then looking at the pile of cast-off pistol grip '03 military stocks I have has me thinking strange thoughts. Initially I thought to reconstruct the gun into pure military guise, but that's been done to death and I for one would know it would be an ersatz putup job every time I looked at it. Then I thought of the works of art created by Tom Shelhamer at Niedner's during the Depression , and the boys at Griffin&Howe at the same time, who worked wonders on Armory-issued M1922, M1, M2, C-Style, and NRA Sporter stocks for less-than-well-heeled sportsmen. Michael Petrov devoted some space in his books on pre-war custom rifles to such low budget rifles - some of them are quite elegant. Such a project would serve the purpose of cleaning up some of the '03 junk I've accumulated (including a new Criterion barrel I ordered while laying in hospital a few weeks ago, bored out of my skull and armed with a smartphone), and provide me with something I realized I don't have: a utilitarian '03 Springfield sporter to take the place of my original NRA Sporter for woods loafing. Let me finish the Winchester High Wall project I'm in the middle of and then on to The Cinderella Springfield project!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gary, that sounds like my sporter I posted a couple of weeks ago. I have been sorely tempted to have it rebored to .35 Whelen but, so far have resisted but, who knows how much longer. whistle

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by efw
My Remington-built custom 03-A3 6.5-06:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have a Remington-built 03-A3 in 6-250 as well; two of my favorites!

Nice , very nice...

even if I am not a fan of that stock's wood... is that Maple?

My favorite two actions are the 1917 Enfield and the Springfield....

Wonder why you never see them that have been rechambered back to the original 1903 Springfield Cartridge....

I've got an action made by Rock Island in 1921... it came as a complete gun, but a rotting Sporter Stock and a rusted inside and out barrel..
which I took off and scrapped... paid $100 for it, due to the shape of the package.... however, the action alone was worth much more..

Have been thinking either the new barrel in the 03 Springfield Cartridge... ( just necked up a 270 case)..
or the other option... a 220 Swift, with a 1 in 7 or 8 twist....the action has already been drilled and tapped for scope mounts...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks John!

Yes, that’s maple. Got it in the ‘fire classifieds. I set out to build a period-correct sporter complete with gaudy stock; mission accomplished eh? blush

I think a Rock Island (I assume you’re talking 1917?) in .30-03 would be very cool, but in a fast-twist Swift even cooler!

I’ve always assumed one never sees -03s because of the prevalence of -06 cases and the lack of performance improvement by the mod? I could be wrong.

Thanks for the compliment!

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
efw, that looks like some of the custom guns from Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield... Very nice..

Thanks that was my intention for the project.

In spite of twist disappointment (Was advertised as 1-in-9” but it’s prolly more like 14”!) it shoots 100 GR AMs & TTSXs quite nicely. I took out some does from an area farm with it last fall.

IC B2

G
G
Hi guys, I am looking for Springfield 1903 A3 sporter in 35 Whelen. I saw old 07/ 2019 conversation about it. If anyone has one or knows one or points me in right direction would be much appreciated.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
G... You might find just your Springfield sporter 35 Whelen as you describe. But I'll bet you'd probably be better off playing the whole field of Springfield sporter general conversions, picking one that best matches all your other requirements and just have it rebored with net of brand new barrel in effect. Odds better and considerably more likely to end up with what you want!
Just my take!
Happy New Year!
John

Last edited by iskra; 01/04/21.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by GeorgianG
Hi guys, I am looking for Springfield 1903 A3 sporter in 35 Whelen. I saw old 07/ 2019 conversation about it. If anyone has one or knows one or points me in right direction would be much appreciated.

Post a “WTB” in classifieds and keep an eye on gunsamerica and gunbroker.

Iskra’s idea is worthwhile if you know what to look for. I got my action at a good price and built my rifle from the ground up.

One thing to be careful of is bubba’d rifles. Misaligned D&T are the reason windage-adjustable scope rings were invented and they’re common.

A rebore of a well done sporter is a good option tho.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 1903 Springfield sporter in .280 made by the late Iver Henriksen of Missoula, Montana. Just love that rifle!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think we need to get the address of the weapon,s shop looks like we might have a need coming up,,.remember who wrote that story ,,been 30 yrs since i read it

NRA life & RSO Plays with old trucks and tractors
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by efw
My Remington-built custom 03-A3 6.5-06:

I have a Remington-built 03-A3 in 6-250 as well; two of my favorites!

Nice , very nice...

even if I am not a fan of that stock's wood... is that Maple?

My favorite two actions are the 1917 Enfield and the Springfield....

Wonder why you never see them that have been rechambered back to the original 1903 Springfield Cartridge....

I've got an action made by Rock Island in 1921... it came as a complete gun, but a rotting Sporter Stock and a rusted inside and out barrel..
which I took off and scrapped... paid $100 for it, due to the shape of the package.... however, the action alone was worth much more..

Have been thinking either the new barrel in the 03 Springfield Cartridge... ( just necked up a 270 case)..
or the other option... a 220 Swift, with a 1 in 7 or 8 twist....the action has already been drilled and tapped for scope mounts...

That sure is a nice 1903. I've seen a lot of them like that in my lifetime. I always pass them up and grab the m1917's, just my preference. Also because most springfield sporters have total right handed stocks, generally with a roll over cheek piece that would hurt a left handed shooter. I know where a very nice 1903 sporter is that I would have bought a 100 times, had it had a more useable stock on it. It is chambered in 308 Norma mag, which was one of the reasons I kept eyeballing it, plus it's a beautiful rifle.. Generally these sporterized military rifles are inexpensive too. Great rifles that can be had for less than $400.00 at times. I'd take one of these way before a cheap azzed plastic "budget" rifle for the same price.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anybody contemplating a custom Springfield sporter has a barrel choice available to them that is inexpensive and very very accurate - Criterion barrels. Available from the CMP, they are made by a division of Krieger (button rifled as opposed to a Krieger cut-rifled barrel). I have a couple installed on rifles and am here to tell you they are as accurate, and sometimes more accurate, than the vaunted Springfield Armory star gauged barrels I have on a couple rifles too. Downside for some customizers: they only come in .30-06, but for me that's certainly no handicap. They come with witness marks that function perfectly with the witness marks on Springfield receivers, and once drawn up tight to the mark requires only a touch with a chamber reamer to achieve perfect headspace. They come short-chambered for that very purpose.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/18/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
BSA I am righthanded and have sporter stock for an 03 that has a monte carlo and a cheek piece on the right side for a left handed shooter. Fairly straight grained walnut with a herters ventilated recoil pad , black plastic white lined pistol grip cap, and black plastic forend tip with white line spacer cut at 45 degree angle it has sling swivels installed and has been epoxy/ glass bedded for an 03 or 03a3 with 03 bottom metal. Drop in ,tighten up guard screws and go to shooting type deal. Wouldn't take a genius with a rasp to get rid of the cheekpiece either. $60 + shipping. Mb send me a pm to discuss

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,729
Posts18,457,448
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.