Print Thread
Hop To
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So I’ve always wanted a Sheridan blue streak, is there a better air rifle out there ? Or are they that well-made

BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I've got two. A beater for keeping pests out of the chicken pen and a pristine one I bought while the beater was in the shop for resealing. Both .20s with peep sights. Accurate enough for squirrels in the pecans and powerful enough to take out racoons and cats. I'm sure there are better tools out there, but I like mine just fine. The pristine one is for sale as soon as I get off my lazy ass and take some pics.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have been offered a package deal and have no idea of reasonable pricing.
So what is a Blue Streak and/or a Silver Streak worth in today's world.
Knowing the owner they should be in excellent shape.
Did I mention they come as a package with 2800 pellets?

Last edited by LouisB; 12/16/20.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ella ,PM me with what you think is a fair price

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had one back in the '80's and didn't think it was anything great. Reasonably powerful, not impressively accurate and a lot of work to pump up. I've had several other air rifles over the years that I liked better. The Sheridan is now long gone.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I like them!

I had a .22 Benjamin as a kid growing up (still do!) and my two cousins both had Sheridan Silver Streaks. Mine was plenty effective and perhaps more "svelte" if you want to call it that, but theirs at .20 caliber just seemed to hit with a little more power and speed. They were quick to let me know that theirs were just a little better than mine!!!

Fast forward to today and I have been picking up old school pellet guns for the grandsons hoping I can turn them into lifelong shooters and hunters. For whatever reason, I have found more Blue Streaks than anything else (other than old Daisys and Crosmans, which I am not as interested in), which is fine with me. I believe they (4) have all been manufactured between 1964 and 1983. I paid between $75 and $125 for all of them. The 1983 model appeared unfired and looked like new... it was $100 in a pawnshop. The $75 one went to Nevada for a re-seal which ran about $50 so expect to likely have $100-$200 into any Blue Streak that looks nice and has good seals. Take care of them, store 1-2 pumps of air in the chamber,"cocked' and they will last a lifetime of pure shooting simplicity and fun.

If you look on eBay, it seem like the Blue Streaks bring ~$150-250 depending on condition and whether they need seals/parts. Silver Streaks seem more rare and bring another $100-200 above that. Vintage Sheridan pellets aren't cheap either.

Don't turn up your nose at the old "corn cob" Benjamin Franklins either. My Dad has an older "BB" smooth bore model that is really fun. I would pick up the same in a .177 model if I could find one locally but have just had more luck with the Blue Streaks.

Good luck in your quest!!!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My granddaughters are welcome into the "Sheridan/Benjamin club" as well... I will look for and buy more if needed, FWIW!

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So I’ve been told that they have a issue with barrel separation due to the rear sight I have been offered several different ones in varying degrees of condition who is the go to guy to work on these and is that barrel separation hard to repair/repairable? I saw one for sale with a peep sight on it and I am told that is a fix to the rear sight issue Who has experience with this?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They can be re-soldered. The gentleman I referred to in Nevada did one for me and charged me $30 or $40 for the repair. He also re-sealed the gun and replaced the receiver housing. IIRC it was about $100 for everything. It shot great and everything worked fine. The only downside I could see was that he had to re-paint the metal on the whole barrel/air cylinder assembly because of the heat with the re-solder. The original Blue streak finish was not paint... he told me that it cannot be exactly reproduced.

I'm sure on of the guys back east your way could do something similar. Give Precision Pellet a call... Google them up. They are in Pennsylvania.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RickcNY
So I’ve been told that they have a issue with barrel separation due to the rear sight I have been offered several different ones in varying degrees of condition who is the go to guy to work on these and is that barrel separation hard to repair/repairable? I saw one for sale with a peep sight on it and I am told that is a fix to the rear sight issue Who has experience with this?

I had Mac1 solder a Silver Streak for me, about a year ago. Wasn’t that expensive, $25/$30/$40, but I was having the internals upgraded at the same time.

With shipping, etc, you’ll have another $125-$150 tied up in a gun, getting it “re-sealed”, soldered, drilled/tapped (if it’s NOT drilled/tapped, get it done, and put the Williams 5d-sh sight on it).

Those pellets are worth a couple hundred dollars, if still in the original plastic Sheridan boxes. If it’s a thumb safety or rocker safety, and price is right, get it..

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my wife bought me one for christmas in the late 80's and it whacked its share of pests when we lived in a neighborhood. powerful enough for most small game and will kill a ground hog dead with a head shot. mine is pretty accurate too. probably doesn't hold a candle to the one pump gamo's and rws these days though but it is a nice old school gun. real wood and metal. seems solid. no idea on price. i think mine new was $125 30 years ago.

My diploma is a DD214
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No worry about pricing, the seller crawfished!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd get the Silver Streak if you can find one. My thumb safety model dates back to the early sixties and still works just fine. Terrific to build up a kid's shoulders. My buddy had the Blue Streak and his finish came off and looked pink. My Silver Streak with the o-ring bolt upgrade and Williams peep is still perfect. I switched to the Beeman Crow Magnum .20 caliber pellets and they kill stuff way better than the Sheridan pellets ever did. Not as powerful as the newer ones, but I like the variable power of being able to pump it from 2 to 10 pumps as needed.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Lundtroller,
Who was repair person in Nevada? Am familiar with Mac1 but would like to have options when the time comes.
I have an early 70's Benjamin (.22), a 90's Sheridan (.20), and an early 2000's pistol in .177. Love all three, all have red-dots, but the pistol gets the most use and super accurate.
LM

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.