Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here is my experience with the Kifaru Stryker pack, tall Duplex lite frame, and large waist strap. I struggled with the decision to buy it as it is an expensive option.

My primary intent was a hunting daypack. Second, use would be to allow me to take some meat out on the first trip. Third use was a 2-3 night backpacking pack. I have had the pack since May 2020 and have had a chance to day hike, backpack camp, hunt, and pack meat.

All of my hunting is in CO. 50% is in remote wilderness places for a week at a time, 25% is from a “truck camp” but with long hikes to where I want to hunt ie, out all day and 25% is out of the house or close to a camp (morning/afternoon).

The frame and straps are exceptionally comfortable and carries weight almost unnoticeably. The greatest challenge has been how to set up the cargo straps to secure the pack to the frame so that the pack is snug to the frame. When it’s full or there is cargo, it’s plenty snug. There are endless options and everyone will have their own solution but it will take trial and error. I attempted to use some K clips from the black straps on the frame to the straps on the pack. It works but there is still some play unless you have something in the “freight” area. The adjustable “compression” straps that secure the frame to the pack on the sides work well but since they are horizontal, they only support weight at 90 degrees to gravity (they are horizontal) and put stress on the stitched attachment points when the bag is loaded. The two buckles over the top do the lion’s share of the weight bearing of everything in the pack and don’t get much help from the side straps. At this point, it’s a perceived problem, not an actual problem, time will tell.

My typical hunting day pack has knives, sharpener, rope, block n tackle (elk hunting), fire starting stuff, clothing for expected wx (can really add up), 1st aid kit w/meds, saw, spare glasses, food for all day, lg camel back, rangefinder, binos (packed in the dark), calls, ammo, GPS, map, compass (I still carry them), and a Thermorest seat. It comes to about 25+/-pounds. I found myself wanting a little more room as I have had a difficult time moving everything to this pack from my old Cabelas pack and ended up getting a used MOLLE sustainment pouch which gives me just enough room for everything. Another option would be a large bag that you could put stuff into in the freight area but that wouldn’t have been as easily accessible. Again, the setup is definitely an individualistic trial and error process.

I opted for the rifle carrying system. Having used it on everything from a 22 to a full sized rifle with scope, I will say I was very impressed. It completely frees your hands and the weight of the rifle is supported by the hip strap. There is a little play so jumping etc may result in a bbl to the noggin (my boonie cap gave a some tactile warning to what was coming) but for straight up hiking, im sold! Removing the rifle is simple and can be done in 2 seconds without practice. The only minor annoyance is the bbl is in your peripheral vision. Bottom line, It’s ingenious, it works, and im glad I got it.

Okay, so how was it in the filed? It’s completely comfortable to have on all day for multiple days. I really, really like the hip belt and it’s support. Mine is a large and fits when Im “heavy” or with a lot of clothes on; I wear 37in waist pants. It’s a hair too big if im summer hiking/backpacking in shorts and a t-shirt or have managed to lose some weight, although still supports the weight fully tightened. I say this just because if you are like me and right in that “too big/too small” zone you’ll have to consider which size belt to get.

The pack/frame sits high on the shoulders and behind the head. Crawling under low branches etc, it can get hung up and or require yogi kudu contortions to avoid catching branches. So, if you do a lot of ducking, bending, crawling under stuff, you need to consider that.

When it comes time to pack meat (a prime reason for getting it) the concept was better in my mind than in reality…and I should have known better. It would be easy to pack meat if you want to take out bags of boned meat as is so popular today or, the shoulders/individual hind legs of a deer sized animal. If you think it’s going to be a pack you can throw a full quarter of a deer on…I didn’t see how that could happen when the time came. That’s no fault of the pack, just a reality. I come from a family where we take the bones and all so that’s the world I live in.

As for backpacking (the other reason for getting it) it worked great. I just loosened the side and top straps and put a large stuff sack in the cargo area full of my stuff and off I went. I was able to strap the tent, thermorest, and sleeping bag on the outside of the pack so in that respect, it’s a very versatile pack.

Bottom line:
Im glad I got this pack.
As a hunting day pack it’s fine but I needed some extra space given my packing list.
As a multi day back pack, surprisingly great. It’s not an expedition pack but if you need to get your camp in a few miles for a few nights in early fall weather, it’s perfect.
As a meat hauling pack it’s great if you are packing boned meat in a bag (as much weight as you would be reasonable comfortable with) or a removed leg with the bone in. If you want to pack true quarters with legs attached, it wont work and honestly wasn’t designed for that.

I know there are other packs out there so I hope this helps the next guy make an informed decision.

Pictures are loaded for an overnight without the sustainment add on.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Centennial; 12/17/20.
GB1

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Never mind, reread it and understand what you were saying.

Good write up.

Last edited by SLM; 12/16/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I should try a Stryker as I can for sure can see the utility of it (just like the Mystery Ranch Mule) but I have spent enough $ in Kifaru packs already.
For the price they should have battery operated dick suckers attached, but to no avail.

Aron, are you listening?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I should try a Stryker as I can for sure can see the utility of it (just like the Mystery Ranch Mule) but I have spent enough $ in Kifaru packs already.
For the price they should have battery operated dick suckers attached, but to no avail.

Aron, are you listening?

Ted,

Which Kifaru are using currently?

I saw a pic you posted a month or so back of it, but, I couldn’t find it.

I’m on year 2 using a MR Mule. It makes a good day pack/hauler.

😎🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m pretty sure they built the Stryker just for me. Pretty much perfect for a 5-day, 1st rifle elk hunt. The elk didn’t cooperate this year so no meat hauled. Though I did pack a bull out last year with a Nomad II on the same frame. Worked great and the concept is the same. I also have a MR Mule and the Stryker is the same concept just on a more robust frame. I did pack out an entire deboned Muley buck with the Mule and it worked.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The Stryker is nice, but doesn’t work well with a tripod and optics.

Aron, are you listening?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Aron, are you listening?

Ted,

Which Kifaru are using currently?

I saw a pic you posted a month or so back of it, but, I couldn’t find it.

I’m on year 2 using a MR Mule. It makes a good day pack/hauler.

😎🦫

My main pack is a Reckoning, but I also have a Shape Charge and a 14r.

I'd post pics but Imgur is acting like a 5 year old (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
The Stryker is nice, but doesn’t work well with a tripod and optics.

Aron, are you listening?

A guy could always buy a spotting scope pocket and jam a tripod leg/center post into the flat pocket at the back of the sling. It wouldn't be ideal though and (of course) more crap to buy.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ya, you could make it work, but the 22 Mag works better for me in that regard, but not real fond of the load shelf on the 22.

If I could figure out how to put the 22 on the SG frame It would be perfect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus you want the cheap, good looking and Chlamydia free hooker don't you? Good luck finding that. They're all mine.

It does seem like the Kifaru frame doesn't fit everyone. They fit me really well but X% of people just can't seem to get comfortable with them.

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It took a while but I’ve got it pretty comfortable now.

I’m worse than a women, I like the Kifaru bag, and the frame is comfortable, but the SG load shelf/bag is way easier to use. You dam near have to take the whole thing apart on the Kifaru when using the shelf.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
And yes, free hookers are good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

My mom put me through skool hooking.

😎🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Always knew there was a reason I liked Mrs. Cleaver.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM

My mom put me through skool hooking.

😎🦫

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Aron, are you listening?

Immtorn between the Mule and Pintler as a bag addition to my Marshall frame.

Love the Marshall and it compresses down quite well..but I find that the more room I have the more stuff I take that I really don't need

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
On the MR, the Pintler is an excellent day pack. I'm into Kifaru now and run a 22 Mag for day hunts, Reckoning for overnights. I just ordered a Shape Charge with Sherman pocket for a dedicated whitetail day pack. The 22 mag is a bit tall for me when sneaking around. It works, shot 2 deer with it on last week, but ideally needs to be 3-4 inches shorter - enter the Shape Charge. I hope. We'll see.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SLM
It took a while but I’ve got it pretty comfortable now.

I’m worse than a women, I like the Kifaru bag, and the frame is comfortable, but the SG load shelf/bag is way easier to use. You dam near have to take the whole thing apart on the Kifaru when using the shelf.

Which bag are you using that the load shelf is a challenge? On the Stryker you simply loosen a few straps, put the load on the shelf and then cinch them down. It couldn’t be easier.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 22 Mag. The 22 sits over the top of the frame. The straps that pull the bag down tight are kind of a pain to get to to loosen.

Eta; probably got spoiled with the ease of the Stone Glacier.

Last edited by SLM; 12/19/20.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gotcha. I think the Reckoning was that way. The Stryker has a cargo panel that attaches directly while the bag is separate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
On the MR, the Pintler is an excellent day pack. I'm into Kifaru now and run a 22 Mag for day hunts, Reckoning for overnights. I just ordered a Shape Charge with Sherman pocket for a dedicated whitetail day pack. The 22 mag is a bit tall for me when sneaking around. It works, shot 2 deer with it on last week, but ideally needs to be 3-4 inches shorter - enter the Shape Charge. I hope. We'll see.

If the .22 Mag is a bit tall for you when sneaking around, isn't that more of the frame that is too tall instead of the bag? In any event I have a Shapecharge with a Sherman that I use for bird hunts, spring bear, etc. I just shoved some rock ptarmagin into it today.

It is a bit short for me, but I am fairly tall so it may fit you just right. It does not have a lumbar pad, if you didn't know that and isn't really designed for packing much weight. Outside of those limitations it is a nice setup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (338Rules, 35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 14 invisible), 1,297 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,459
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.