Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

If we want jerky or something like that, I buy beef.
It's easily available, everyday, unlimited.

We don't "waste" deer meat on those things.

CONCUR Sir !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Hey ‘99s, point me towards a good stroganoff recipe? Been wanting to give that a try

Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Hey ‘99s, point me towards a good stroganoff recipe? Been wanting to give that a try

Will do Bud !!

Me too, please. blush

There are tons of variations out there, once you find the style you like, you can adapt to your liking (I hardly ever stick exactly to a recipe) !

These are the 3 styles I play with.

Hungarian - hot paprika;

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/paprika-beef-stroganoff/

Russian;

Hungarian;

https://kjandcompany.co/2020/01/22/hungarian-mushroom-beef-stroganoff/

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Link to the video that wouldn't embed.

https://vikalinka.com/best-beef-stroganoff/

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by postoak
Deer tenderloins are so tiny compared to pork that I don't make steaks out of them. Do you guys really make 2 inch diameter steaks?

I have more ways of processing a deer that I like than I can get out of a one. I like backstrap steaks, hindquarter roasts, stew meat, ground meat for hamburger patties, and link sausage.
I'll also eat liver, but I've tried the heart and it is too rubbery for me.

Cooked it too long !

Had heart last night, it was tender.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I generally save the loins as 6-8" chunks, they can be sliced after thawing. Hindquarters make up 3 roasts each, can be sliced to steaks if desired later. Fronts and all trim go to grind. We eat more burger than steaks or roasts, so need more of it.
Older bucks are ground other than the loins and tenders, again the wife likes more burger.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Front shanks get cut at the joints. I release some of the silver skin, leave connective tissue to keep it on the bone.

Wifey, puts a shank in a Dutch Oven with a broth concoction of meat bouillon, seasonings, water and red wine.

She slow cooks the shanks for 5-6 hours in the broth. When done, the meat is tender and almost coming off the bone.

Boil up some Russet potatoes,,,use some of the shank broth to make gravy...Enjoy!

To me, the meat tastes just like a beef roast.

Way easier than peeling all the silver skin and connective tissue for just grind. Plus, tastes amazing.

Slow cook them elk legs....You won’t want do them any other way.

😎

Yes Mark !!!

We do similar for deer shanks.

Eat dem sumbitches all day long !

We do shanks, not osso buco - brown up the shanks & go low & slow in the crock pot for 8+ hours with stock/wine/herbs & veges at the end.

Never had any complaints.

Lots of clean plates !

grin

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, great thread Kid !!

Paul.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for your insight New 2 99s. Lots of great stuff in here.

Another thing I’m surprised at is the number of guys I run into who’d never dream of cutting up a deer themselves. Some of them act like it’s a task on par with building a space shuttle. The local processors here charge $100-$150 to cut and wrap a deer. Our little deer yield about 25-40lb of meat, no way my cheap ass is paying that for 3-4 animals a year!

I did my first one at about age 13. A cousin who’s family was of pretty limited means had shot a buck. He hung in the barn for a few days with him wondering what to do with it. We got some kitchen knives and a steel and just kind of winged it. Probably wasn’t the best job anyone had ever done but we ended up with steaks and roasts and it all turned out okay. Since then I’ve done some reading on the subject and it’s no sweat.

I’m home with a sick kid for the next little while pending Corona test results and our main task is to get the last 3 elk quarters off the barn rafters and into the freezer. The backstrap steaks I ate with a 3 egg omelette for breakfast were a nice side benefit to having a pile of fresh cut steaks in the reefer waiting to be wrapped! The two elk I killed last weekend have been hanging in the barn since Saturday with temps getting in the 20s at night and 40ish during the day, prime eating.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I usually dice up the tenderloins and use them in omelets. Usually make bone in roasts out of the front shoulders and steak out the hind quarters or grind depending on toughness. Those big old iffy ones get the frying pan test as we butcher. Tough ones get ground, canned or made into jerky or sausage. I also usually smoke the hocks for soup.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the genuine article, we use in our Hot Hungarian Stroganoff & Goulash !

Paul.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Kid

Best of Luck & Prayers for 'little man'.

Enjoyed the thread.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We have been taking moose to a processor. We do a 3 week moose camp and by the time we get back and get things sorted at home, I dont feel like cutting up 700 -1500 lbs of meat. Same goes for caribou if there are a bunch of them hitting the ground at the same time and weather is warm. For smaller critters like sheep, goats, deer, I prefer to cut them myself.

I'm far from a pro butcher, but we generally steak the entire strap and cut roasts from the hinds. I always break down the hocks and always wish I hadn't. I make jerky out of an entire shoulder from a moose or bou occasionally. If i know I'm going to do that, I'll set aside better trim for that too. We always end up with plenty of grind , so I don't have to go looking for things to grind.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
JW thanks for the thoughts. Little guy was in the truck with my folks when they started to come down with the chinee crud al he can’t go to school and I can’t go to work until he tests clear. He was sniffly for a couple days but he’s finer than frog hair now. Mom and Dad seem to be getting past it pretty quickly with no major issues.

Cwh2. I hear you on the marathon butcher session with a moose or a stack of caribou. My dad and uncles were “kind” enough to hop their plane home one year and leave me and the Mrs with 5 bulls hanging in the back yard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Thanks for your insight New 2 99s. Lots of great stuff in here.

Another thing I’m surprised at is the number of guys I run into who’d never dream of cutting up a deer themselves. Some of them act like it’s a task on par with building a space shuttle. The local processors here charge $100-$150 to cut and wrap a deer. Our little deer yield about 25-40lb of meat, no way my cheap ass is paying that for 3-4 animals a year!

I did my first one at about age 13. A cousin who’s family was of pretty limited means had shot a buck. He hung in the barn for a few days with him wondering what to do with it. We got some kitchen knives and a steel and just kind of winged it. Probably wasn’t the best job anyone had ever done but we ended up with steaks and roasts and it all turned out okay. Since then I’ve done some reading on the subject and it’s no sweat.

I’m home with a sick kid for the next little while pending Corona test results and our main task is to get the last 3 elk quarters off the barn rafters and into the freezer. The backstrap steaks I ate with a 3 egg omelette for breakfast were a nice side benefit to having a pile of fresh cut steaks in the reefer waiting to be wrapped! The two elk I killed last weekend have been hanging in the barn since Saturday with temps getting in the 20s at night and 40ish during the day, prime eating.

Also too tight to pay. Plus, most won't bone it out and trim to my standards.
They bandsaw and pack.

Grew up on deer meat and cutting it.
When you eat as many deer as we did, and are limited to 1 tag per year.
You couldn't afford a butcher.

Ironic. Now I can get a bunch of tags, but there are so few deer
I won't kill more than one doe. And reluctantly on one.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very Glad to hear he’s doing great.
Y’all stay safe.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer backstraps do make great jerky especially when left whole length and cut 1/4” thick!
I butcher pretty much the same as most here. I don’t cut very many steaks though. Backstraps and tenderloins are usually cut into 8-10” pieces and saved for BBQs on the red oak pit. Sometimes I’ll cut a pocket into one and stuff it with cream cheese, sautéed onions,garlic,jalapeños and then wrap it in bacon and cook it on the BBQ.
I prefer to have a lot of my game meat ground and made into bulk burger, mild/hot Italian and chorizo. We use it in a lot of dishes and everyone likes it in my house.

Here’s an elk Backstrap before hitting the BBQ pit. Bacon was wrapped and grilled until meat was medium rare. Didn’t last 5 minutes and could’ve even get a pic of it.

Attached Images
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Front shanks get cut at the joints. I release some of the silver skin, leave connective tissue to keep it on the bone.

Wifey, puts a shank in a Dutch Oven with a broth concoction of meat bouillon, seasonings, water and red wine.

She slow cooks the shanks for 5-6 hours in the broth. When done, the meat is tender and almost coming off the bone.

Boil up some Russet potatoes,,,use some of the shank broth to make gravy...Enjoy!

Way easier than peeling all the silver skin and connective tissue for just grind. Plus, tastes amazing.

😎

Yes Mark !!!

We do shanks, not osso buco - brown up the shanks & go low & slow in the crock pot for 8+ hours with stock/wine/herbs & veges at the end.

Never had any complaints.

Lots of clean plates !

grin

Tag for Paul’s shanks!

I’m going to cross cut the shanks after seeing that beautiful plate.

👍🏻😎🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I missed this thread.

We ran 18 deer/antelope through my garage/locker this past fall from 8 hunters. With 12 of them ending up in our freezer. We had an exceptional year.

I process everything myself since I do not trust anyone else to do it.

Tenderloins get eaten fresh. I like to age them in saltwater in the frig for 5 days changing the water everyday. They come out TENDER!

I cook them similar to TheKid above. Season to taste and use similar methods with the cast iron sear and into the oven, or on the grill at 500-600 degrees for 4-8 minutes total. Time varies with the size of the tenderloins. Always shooting for med rare. Rest for 10 minutes and slice.

After aging:

Loins get divided into thirds and vaccum packed. Cooked similar to above.

Never used to saved the shanks whole, going to try them this year.

Save the two big roasts out of each hindquarter. They will get tipped, steaked, smoked, or grilled whole depending on mood.

Everything else gets trimmed and cubed for future grinding. Frozen in 5 or 10 pound lots to make the math easier.

When it gets ground, it is made into 10% beef or pork burger. From there it is plain burger or turned in different flavors of breakfast sausage, brats, chorizo, ring bologna, ground jerky, or whatever the desire. I really want to try a dried venison recipe this year for sandwich meat.

Still have over 100# of venison in the freezer for grinding and future recipe testing.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

😎

Yes Mark !!!

I used to grind up the shank meat, never knew what I was missing until I tried it in the slow cooker.

Now shanks are one of my favorite cuts, all the connective tissue cooks down and keeps it moist and fall-apart tender.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hank Shaw has a couple of recipes for shanks. It converted me to saving them. Stroganoff is great for game meat. Made Steak Diane backstrap last night and nearly started a fire when I flambed it. Turned out good enough I am going to freeze the base sauce so I can do it in short order again.

I used to go for about half sausage but lately I won't make any sausage or just some pan sausage variations. If I shoot three or more deer then I will make sausage but the first deer are almost all steaks and roasts. I like it when I only buy a really good beef steak a couple of times a year, the rest is all game meat.

How do others use the rib meat and flanks, and brisket off a deer? Except for fajitas these usually get ground.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.