Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I need a new one, looking to get one that's on the big side for a lumbar pack. Would use it for hikes and day hunts where I don't need a full-on backpack.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Use a chest rig and/or a small tactical pack.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The Kuiu “PRO Bino harness” set up with the “PRO hydration rig” is a nice set up. I use it for bow hunting after dropping my main pack. I also use the “Stalker 500” for traveling/beach/etc.

Pitter Patter!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hard to beat a simple Mountainsmith Day pack, although it might not be as big as what you're looking for.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

I like bananas on my peanut butter sandwiches.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Nashville
The Kuiu “PRO Bino harness” set up with the “PRO hydration rig” is a nice set up. I use it for bow hunting after dropping my main pack. I also use the “Stalker 500” for traveling/beach/etc.

I have a chest pack I use for binos, what I'm looking for is a good lumbar pack to go with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know of a good one, but I bought a Browning Billy 1500 and really, really, really dislike it. I have a long torso, so that might be part of it, but maybe not.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one of these: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&msclkid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclsrc=3p.ds

Goes pretty much everywhere I go. It's not ideal but it's comfortable enough and I have used it to haul out a half pronghorn. [url=https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Take a look at the Alps Outdoorz Little Bear. Sportsmans has them for $50 and It might be enough for your needs.

I hate hauling too much stuff I never need so a medium size with compression straps I can use to hold a jacket with is just right.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL.......watching and tagging this with interest. Thinking about replacing my 32 year old Packs Plus (USA made but now defunct company) lumbar pack with shoulder straps.

Smoke,
Besides the usual suspects from Cabela's and LLBean.
Here's one I've been looking at, and have been told it's very good. But have never seen in person.

https://www.wildernesspacks.net/product-page/muley

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe find a used kifaru scout. They may be bringing it back sometime. I used the heck out of an old Daystalker. The scout is a much improved version...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
I have one of these: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&msclkid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclsrc=3p.ds

Goes pretty much everywhere I go. It's not ideal but it's comfortable enough and I have used it to haul out a half pronghorn. [url=https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?

After multiple years of lumbar packs - this one is my favorite. Decent capacity for shells, knife, first aid, lunch- and enough straps to hold a coat or outer layers. Waist belt is comfortable and holds a small GPS in the pouch.

Out of the entry level packs - this held and organized my daily carry better than anything else AND it was comfortable for all day carry.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/17/20.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Another vote for the Kifaru Scout. The current lineup of Kifaru is not what it used to be with reguard to their past small bags and pouches. I really like my Scout.

Another one that is good if you can find it is Bison Gear. They are out of business but they made bigger lumbar packs for the traditional archery guys. I have a wool version and an hemp cloth version. Its made in America high quality stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need a new one, looking to get one that's on the big side for a lumbar pack. Would use it for hikes and day hunts where I don't need a full-on backpack.

I have this pack and love it for day hunts

https://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/catalog/Outfitters-Pack-Bison-Gear-p-159.html

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of these, probably 20 years old and still going strong

Dana Design Gallatin

if you can find one, Kifaru made three different lumbar packs- all pretty nice (but spendy)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Who doesn't? (?)

Use REAL chest rig, not a bino rig or fanny pack and save your back ache...thank me, later.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Nashville

I have a chest pack I use for binos, what I'm looking for is a good lumbar pack to go with it.

I used to use lumbar packs a lot in the 80s and 90s. Handy when packing in tree stands, gear when I was archery hunting with trad gear. . To be honest I found much better options in a good daypack, chest rig etc

Last edited by ribka; 12/17/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Who doesn't? (?)

Use REAL chest rig, not a bino rig or fanny pack and save your back ache...thank me, later.

Thank you for what? Not answering the question?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Badlands Monster Fanny Pack

https://www.badlandsgear.com/products/monster

I have an older one of these, diff camo pattern, that still gets use in situations like you noted. I like the various compartments, shoulder straps stashed in the pack but available if you pile gear on. Straps on the top and bottom to attach layers you may have peeled off, or to carry along a rain jacket. Lots of room for peanut butter and banana sammiches too!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to try the one from HPG. Set up like in the picture isn't a cheap option, but I can't imagine I'd wear it out.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/6/ProductID/68

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.