Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I need a new one, looking to get one that's on the big side for a lumbar pack. Would use it for hikes and day hunts where I don't need a full-on backpack.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Use a chest rig and/or a small tactical pack.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The Kuiu “PRO Bino harness” set up with the “PRO hydration rig” is a nice set up. I use it for bow hunting after dropping my main pack. I also use the “Stalker 500” for traveling/beach/etc.

Pitter Patter!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hard to beat a simple Mountainsmith Day pack, although it might not be as big as what you're looking for.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

I like bananas on my peanut butter sandwiches.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Nashville
The Kuiu “PRO Bino harness” set up with the “PRO hydration rig” is a nice set up. I use it for bow hunting after dropping my main pack. I also use the “Stalker 500” for traveling/beach/etc.

I have a chest pack I use for binos, what I'm looking for is a good lumbar pack to go with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know of a good one, but I bought a Browning Billy 1500 and really, really, really dislike it. I have a long torso, so that might be part of it, but maybe not.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one of these: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&msclkid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclsrc=3p.ds

Goes pretty much everywhere I go. It's not ideal but it's comfortable enough and I have used it to haul out a half pronghorn. [url=https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Take a look at the Alps Outdoorz Little Bear. Sportsmans has them for $50 and It might be enough for your needs.

I hate hauling too much stuff I never need so a medium size with compression straps I can use to hold a jacket with is just right.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL.......watching and tagging this with interest. Thinking about replacing my 32 year old Packs Plus (USA made but now defunct company) lumbar pack with shoulder straps.

Smoke,
Besides the usual suspects from Cabela's and LLBean.
Here's one I've been looking at, and have been told it's very good. But have never seen in person.

https://www.wildernesspacks.net/product-page/muley

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe find a used kifaru scout. They may be bringing it back sometime. I used the heck out of an old Daystalker. The scout is a much improved version...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
I have one of these: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&msclkid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclid=192ff3c8bda819a1960aac1357209ea8&gclsrc=3p.ds

Goes pretty much everywhere I go. It's not ideal but it's comfortable enough and I have used it to haul out a half pronghorn. [url=https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-transporter-fanny-pack?

After multiple years of lumbar packs - this one is my favorite. Decent capacity for shells, knife, first aid, lunch- and enough straps to hold a coat or outer layers. Waist belt is comfortable and holds a small GPS in the pouch.

Out of the entry level packs - this held and organized my daily carry better than anything else AND it was comfortable for all day carry.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/17/20.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Another vote for the Kifaru Scout. The current lineup of Kifaru is not what it used to be with reguard to their past small bags and pouches. I really like my Scout.

Another one that is good if you can find it is Bison Gear. They are out of business but they made bigger lumbar packs for the traditional archery guys. I have a wool version and an hemp cloth version. Its made in America high quality stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need a new one, looking to get one that's on the big side for a lumbar pack. Would use it for hikes and day hunts where I don't need a full-on backpack.

I have this pack and love it for day hunts

https://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/catalog/Outfitters-Pack-Bison-Gear-p-159.html

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one of these, probably 20 years old and still going strong

Dana Design Gallatin

if you can find one, Kifaru made three different lumbar packs- all pretty nice (but spendy)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Who doesn't? (?)

Use REAL chest rig, not a bino rig or fanny pack and save your back ache...thank me, later.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Nashville

I have a chest pack I use for binos, what I'm looking for is a good lumbar pack to go with it.

I used to use lumbar packs a lot in the 80s and 90s. Handy when packing in tree stands, gear when I was archery hunting with trad gear. . To be honest I found much better options in a good daypack, chest rig etc

Last edited by ribka; 12/17/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Who doesn't? (?)

Use REAL chest rig, not a bino rig or fanny pack and save your back ache...thank me, later.

Thank you for what? Not answering the question?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Badlands Monster Fanny Pack

https://www.badlandsgear.com/products/monster

I have an older one of these, diff camo pattern, that still gets use in situations like you noted. I like the various compartments, shoulder straps stashed in the pack but available if you pile gear on. Straps on the top and bottom to attach layers you may have peeled off, or to carry along a rain jacket. Lots of room for peanut butter and banana sammiches too!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to try the one from HPG. Set up like in the picture isn't a cheap option, but I can't imagine I'd wear it out.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/6/ProductID/68

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Who doesn't? (?)

Thank you for what? Not answering the question?

Smokesdoofus...you get that out of your vote interpretation machine or was it your mommy's laptop?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Deputy Fife: go find a beach and pound some sand.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
q
Thinking about replacing my 32 year old Packs Plus (USA made but now defunct company) lumbar pack with shoulder straps.

I might have the same one, haven't worn it in years. I used to wear it with a small stuff sack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Razz

I have an older one of these, diff camo pattern, that still gets use in situations like you noted. I like the various compartments, shoulder straps stashed in the pack but available if you pile gear on. Straps on the top and bottom to attach layers you may have peeled off, or to carry along a rain jacket. Lots of room for peanut butter and banana sammiches too!

I had one of the older ones, circa 2010ish.
Its size and structure worked fine for what the OP is asking about, though the main zipper didn't last too long.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tinman and others who commented on fanny packs, thanks!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by douglasfir
Hard to beat a simple Mountainsmith Day pack, although it might not be as big as what you're looking for.

This

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tinman and others who commented on fanny packs, thanks!

Would ya’ just buy the damn Muley Pack from Wilderness Pack Specialties and tell us how it works?!!!!

Geeeez.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the badlands monster for half day jaunts from a backcountry camp on my muzzleloader elk hunt this year. I liked the storage capability and still good freedom of movement plus handy hip pockets. The water bladder bag is only for like a 2 liter or something smaller than normal.

I also carried a pack frame in and then strapped it to that pack. I used a little Kuiu attack bag for water

Last edited by exbiologist; 12/19/20.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
whatever lumbar pack you go with, get shoulder straps- they don't have to be really beefy, but just letting the shoulders take a little weight really helps; I added MountainSmith strappetes to my Gallatin- much better

my Gallatin in action- pulk loaded with Christmas tree smile

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtwarden
whatever lumbar pack you go with, get shoulder straps- they don't have to be really beefy, but just letting the shoulders take a little weight really helps; I added MountainSmith strappetes to my Gallatin- much better

Watch it! Trees are like cougars. They can sneak up from behind and you don't know they're there until it's too late.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Watch it! Trees are like cougars. They can sneak up from behind and you don't know they're there until it's too late.

laugh

I did have one pretty good wreck with it coming down a steep switchback, the tree slid off the side taking me with it, the snow was deep enough for me to dig in- released the was it belt and shoulder harness and let it slide to the bottom, had to recenter the tree on the pulk and the rest of the way was fine smile

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A friend of mine just overhauled his pulk. He got a real heavy duty plastic toboggan. Then he bolted 2 18" pieces of 1.5" angle aluminum on the bottom for runners. He kept the angles at the rear so he could turn it. He hasn't done any heavy pulling with it yet but it sure seems to keep the sled from slipping on side hills.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's where camo pays off. In this photo, you hardly see the camo pack at all. It just sort of disappears into the background.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Smoke will love it........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'll need to put that one through its paces. From the looks of it there's not enough volume to hold my gear.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Never used one myself but a friend uses a Badlands "Monster" fanny pack and another uses a knock-off, maybe by Allen, of the same design. They seem happy.

Another thought .. maybe completely off the rails .. I've been pondering one of the hydration vests the mountain bikers use, one with a couple of small front pockets for phone / camera / a few extra shells with the idea that it would fit closer, maybe under my rain gear instead of over it. One of my favorite spots to hunt has plenty of water nearby but not right where I want to sit to hunt so being able to grab even a pint worth, then go sit hunkered down in brush while I watch might be just right. I've used a regular day pack and it's ok, just looking for something a little more ... minimalist.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Osprey used to make some good ones but now all they make is a small one. I'd go with the Mountainsmith.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Blacks Creek lumbar pack. It's an older version but fits the bill nicely. It may be available.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks b, any idea of the volume on that one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not until I get home. Its bigger than the Badlands Monster fanny pack.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just looked it up, if it's the same one, it's 1,200 c.i.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I'll need to put that one through its paces. From the looks of it there's not enough volume to hold my gear.

No doubt....one of your better ones....

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Damn Harry, I think you're the only one who got it. You must have the same problem......

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Elevation Forrester Lumbar 650.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a large lumbar pack (sort of) from Nimrod Outdoor. Relatively expensive, but made in USA. Years ago, I bought a bino harness from them that was good quality, though maybe not my favorite design. Here is a link:

Pinnacle Pack

I use this waterproof Mountainsmith lumbar pack for fishing gear:

Mountainsmith Dry Tour Lumbar Pack

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ditto on the Badlands Monster and whatever you pick, shoulder straps are a must.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Poor girl.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Geez, the Pinnacle is $250, for a lumbar pack?.......

Edited: Well, at least it's made in USA......

Last edited by alpinecrick; 12/21/20.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Geez, the Pinnacle is $250, for a lumbar pack?.......

Edited: Well, at least it's made in USA......

Seems crazy, but when you consider that Simms, Patagonia and Orvis get $200+ for their foreign-made, smaller, and less technical fishing lumbar packs, it becomes less offensive....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I think I'm just going continue using my 31 year old made in Oregon Packs Plus..........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the Kifaru lumbar options are all above the $200 mark as well- nice, but spendy smile

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tenzing TX Flex. Lots of room and comfortable

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ATC
Tenzing TX Flex. Lots of room and comfortable

This fore sure, used one for years. Way more comfortable than a day pack.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wilderness specialties muley

https://www.wildernesspacks.net/product-page/muley

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Funny-Guy-Mugs-Fanny-Pack/dp/B012E7SLWK

I'm guessing you'll prefer the second option

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/22/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

That depends, how's yours holding up?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Razz

Far and away the best I have ever owned. It also works well as the belt on a set of chest waders, while holding a pistol and holster. If more than just space for a sandwich is needed, this pack gets the nod.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Also, peanut butter is a wonderful sandwich media. Works well with honey, banana, raisins, craisins, walnuts, or more peanut butter. Lately have been running almond butter to limit sugar. But, it's better with honey stirred in ...

Can we talk about bread now?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Also, peanut butter is a wonderful sandwich media. Works well with honey, banana, raisins, craisins, walnuts, or more peanut butter. Lately have been running almond butter to limit sugar. But, it's better with honey stirred in ...

Can we talk about bread now?
I like a nice pair of buns.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I noticed that.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I realize winter is coming on and the Wuhan Virus is adding to the cabin fever, but only Smoke can keep a thread about lumbar packs going for 6 pages.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rarely, does he make the right decision tho...well, except for his Colorado open-toed sandals.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

Well since I'm not a phag I prefer actual pack even for day hunts. I use a MR beartooth 80 and when just day hunting I attach a smaller MR "mule" bag to the frame. Works pretty well. But then again I don't carry some of the Kolorado essentials with me......no hacky sack, weed, needles, narcan, hemp sandals...

Hopefully it will be hauling a few aoudad next month.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, you dweeb, you think I don't own any day packs? Most of them are vintage Kifaru, probably older than you are.

No doubt tougher.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I still think Smoke should buy the Muley and give us a review.............

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I might do that for some west slope deer hunting intel......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
LOL, you dweeb, you think I don't own any day packs? Most of them are vintage Kifaru, probably older than you are.

No doubt tougher.

Well the older part is obvious....goes without saying polesmoker. I bet you bought'em when moby dick was just a minnow....or some aarp saying...

I'm not surprised you've got a pile of packs, boomers are often times hoarders. Bet you've got a piles of used cheese ball containers, bulk .22lr, and those plastic Wally world bags too...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well since I'm not a phag I prefer actual pack even for day hunts. I use a MR beartooth 80 and when just day hunting I attach a smaller MR "mule" bag to the frame. Works pretty well. But then again I don't carry some of the Kolorado essentials with me......no hacky sack, weed, needles, narcan, hemp sandals...

Hopefully it will be hauling a few aoudad next month.

J_H has qualified for the Security/Flanker part of the team. Nicely done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I might do that for some west slope deer hunting intel......

whistle

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No doubt tougher.

Well the older part is obvious....goes without saying polesmoker. I bet you bought'em when moby dick was just a minnow....or some aarp saying...

I'm not surprised you've got a pile of packs, boomers are often times hoarders. Bet you've got a piles of used cheese ball containers, bulk .22lr, and those plastic Wally world bags too...

LOL, you need some new material junior, bagging on someone for their age is the epitome of lame. As is a guy from Bozeman bagging on Colorado for its liberal leanings. I guess I'll have to settle for being tougher than someone half my age.

Merry Christmas!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

No doubt tougher.

LOL, you need some new material junior, bagging on someone for their age is the epitome of lame. As is a guy from Bozeman bagging on Colorado for its liberal leanings. I guess I'll have to settle for being tougher than someone half my age.

Merry Christmas!

You know things aren't always as they seem......but I bet you fall for the Nigerian prince line too lol

God bless and Merry Christmas

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Smoke, Kifaru has a run of Hellcats up on the site.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my solution:

It’s my personal revision to old-school Marine Corps 782 (“Deuce”) gear. https://sofrep.com/gear/old-school-...-it-relates-to-modern-day-survival-gear/

It’s got everything I need to survive and some more. When I go backpacking, I put everything else in the backpack. When I go day-hiking/hunting, I mostly put extra layers in a light backpack. Either way, I can drop my main pack and explore with everything I might really need.

It usually weighs about 12 lbs, not counting the water I may carry.

Here’s what it contained last time I went backpack hunting. It’s basically my bat-utility belt.

FRONT CHEST PACK:
Extra 7mm Wby Cartridges
Headlamp (left pouch)
GPS (right pouch)
Rangefinder
Sunglasses & toilette paper in case
Hunting license (in ziplock)

R-F:
Paddle Holster & 10mm (DW Bruin or G40 (also clips on H-harness on belly))
Knife in Sheath

L-F POUCH:
Leather gloves (front sub-pouch)
Water purification tablets
Bik lighter
Toilette paper
Waterproof matches
iPhone in zip-lock
Extra 10mm magazine (in side pouch)

L-R POUCH:
Emergency food (4 Cliff Bars, whatever)

R-R POUCH:
Cigars

CANTEEN POUCHES (2):
1 full 1-liter bottle in one; coffee in the other

FANNY PACK:
First aid kit–small (appx. 7 oz): antibiotic ointment, bandages, butterfly closures, chloride and alcohol wipes, cotton swabs, Ziplock with Excedrin and Tums, gauze pads, Imodium, medical tape, rubber gloves, sting relief pads, tweezers, water purification tablets (Katadyn)
Rain pants
Medium fleece top
Reserve gear bag w/ zip-lock: Batteries (6 AAA; 3 AA), lighter, small flashlight, waterproof matches, cord, lighter fluid (for making fire in difficult times)
Rain jacket rolled up (strapped on the back) w/ light cap & waterproof gloves in pocket

ON HARNESS:
Whistle

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Smoke, Kifaru has a run of Hellcats up on the site.

I will check those out, thanks Mr. Huntsman.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dont forget the sweatband and ankle warmers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're just jealous of my Lulu Lemon stretch pants.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Honestly Mountainsmith seems like the best choice in its price range as long as it has enough capacity. I like that it doesn't look tactical - you can wear it doing other stuff besides hunting, if you aren't too ashamed to wear a fanny pack in public...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 69 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.