Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
30338, I use open chokes also. I have a full complement of invector chokes for 16ga and the most used are skeet, and IC. Hell, my cylinder choke gets more use than Modified or Full. With today's shells, I have no use for tighter chokes on these fully feathered wild roosters.

Makes me want to end this by saying "Laffin. HINT" Hahahahaha

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just replaced the Lt. M/M with IC/M in my 16. Great minds, eh wot? 🙂

Google it. Hint. 😀

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Laffin!

I've thought several times about relieving some of the choke in my Belgium Sweet 16 but then I just talk myself out of it. I have an 870 with a mid six digt S/N with a Modified VR barrel on it as well. Neither needs changing; I have shotguns with choke tubes for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll keep the skeet 2 and IM screwed in while trying the new Kent stuff. Tough to find many options in ammo these days but maybe these will do better than the Herters. I use IC exclusively in my 12 ga Franchi with excellent results. Hoping schedule works out to go a few more times this year.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If given a choice it would be Mod in a single and
as the Brits say: modeefied and modeefied in a two barrel. I always have been not all that astute when it comes to hints....😀

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Battue, how did you do through that nor’easter? It looks like you got some significant snow.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have been having a terrible time with shooting this year. I feel like my accuracy is off, and when I do hit a bird, nothing dies solidly. I have had to ring more necks this year than ever before. I have been using Herters this year as well. I wonder if that is part of the problem?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Battue, how did you do through that nor’easter? It looks like you got some significant snow.

Not the worst here or even close....about 10 inches total, roads were nasty for most of the night when it hit, but they got ahead of it quickly...and not bitter cold with little wind...A good old time snow fall....digging it...literally.....Just finished skimming off another inch that came down during the day....three hours total shoveling went easier than the same three in the gym....no need for an arm day this week. grin

Addition: Merlot thinks it is a blast....plowing and jumping thru 10 inches and will just keep at it...then stops and digs down, snorting and sucking air at something he smells...Comes back with his balls encased in a snowball....tail wagging and not wanting to come in...

Last edited by battue; 12/17/20.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is what we got...the front yard actually looks a lot better....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The deer will soon be ringing the doorbell for something to munch on besides the shrubs........They have me trained...they leave footprints...I leave apples....

Last edited by battue; 12/18/20.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry about your snow, Battue. Will it likely melt before spring? Hope so.

Originally Posted by Oakster
I have been having a terrible time with shooting this year. I feel like my accuracy is off, and when I do hit a bird, nothing dies solidly. I have had to ring more necks this year than ever before. I have been using Herters this year as well. I wonder if that is part of the problem?

It has been my problem, I can tell you that, for sure. The chart posted earlier which shows the lack of antimony in their shot confirms the matter for me.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The snow is just fine....It's the season for it, was very normal not all that long ago... and lately it has not been around all that much. I'm rather enjoying it... smile

Oh yea, getting ready to leave to drive an hour in this recent snow dump.... to pick up 50 flats of shotgun shells for the upcoming summer, before they may become hard to get.....Thinking others may want to stock up for their next years hunting needs may be a wise idea...

Last edited by battue; 12/18/20.

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Glad you enjoy it, there's little you can do about it anyway...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know where they’d wind up on the chart for shot hardness but I’ve had much better luck with the Academy house brand Monarch pheasant loads than the Herters. They look like they took the old higher the brass the more powerful the shell thing to the extreme, bras comes nearly halfway up a 2 3/4 12ga. But they’ve functioned well in all my guns and killed pheasants really well on a couple trips to SD.

Who knows if they’re in stock or if you have an Academy nearby. Just a heads up in case you run across some.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some of Kent’s non-toxic 12 shot shells have the same. Makes one look twice. 🙂

Battue, I agree about the snow; however we rarely get wha I call a “Colorado snow” or what you describe. Ours is usually sideways accompanied by > 25 mph winds and lowww temps. Takes some of the fun out it and I agree as to past winters — I remember as a kid (oh boy, here we go...) walking in thigh-deep snow uphill both ways to school and back.

Ok, really, we did get more decades ago. Just a change in weather patterns like has occurred frequently in the past five thousand years or so...😳😉.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Road trip over, the roads were clear....Azzz end was drooping more than usual on the ride home....The guy who runs this place says they are selling shells and shotgun components about as fast as they come in...Rifle components are practically non-existent....

These should be effective on clays if I can point good enough.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Road trip over, the roads were clear....Azzz end was drooping more than usual on the ride home....The guy who runs this place says they are selling shells and shotgun components about as fast as they come in...Rifle components are practically non-existent....

These should be effective on clays if I can point good enough.......

A most excellent way to mitigate any treacherous icy roads.

Grins

😎🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I started pheasant hunting my dad broke out an old box of Peters baby mag 4s with the high copper bases on them. They were either 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 oz loads and we split the box between us. I know that one cold sleet blown day I killed a 4 bird KS limit with 4 shots while I was trying not to freeze to death as my dad and uncles pushed a waterway towards me. I’d stay hunkered behind a big tuft of grass until they were right on top of me before standing up and giving them what for with a 30” Stevens 530 SxS choked tight and tighter. I remember them looking like they’d ran into an invisible wall when I’d swat them. Good memories as a 9 year old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Battue,....the thing is..do you have enough? 😊

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool battue.. i need to buy some loaded ammo.. Too tired to reload...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beav-George-WCH
I was riding on a fairly flattened tire patch, all the tread was doing it’s job....maybe....working puts me ahead of the game vs reloading. 👍👍👍

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
207 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.