Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Appears they are out of business??

Anyone know of a place that will repair them????

Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I, have an old master chrony I'd sell cheap, pm me if interested.

There is a war on America and America is losing
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Quite a few you tube vids on their repair. Maybe some parts source info there? Plus parts units on Ebay.

I try to stay informed & totally missed this news. When did all this happen? Any reasons?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Out of business? They are still selling on Amazon. I have one on my Christmas list smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Shooters Chrony was and is a dreadful POS not worthy of spending a dime on.........

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor
The Shooters Chrony was and is a dreadful POS not worthy of spending a dime on.........

This ^^^^^

In my experience (and I bought my first of 3 Shooting Chronys in the early 1990s) you be way ahead by spending $100 or so for a ProChrono Pal.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one in the early 2000. Somehow it had 9 consecutive bullet strikes and ceased to power up. Had no desire to own another one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Junk. Would never buy another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by boatanchor

This ^^^^^

In my experience (and I bought my first of 3 Shooting Chronys in the early 1990s) you be way ahead by spending $100 or so for a ProChrono Pal.

Or the ProChrono DLX. I think it replaced the Digital and bluetooth's to your smartphone where you can store the bullet and velocities. Well worth the extra $25 IMO.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine works ok if the lighting is overcast, midday, but always has a few non-computes in a string. I would never buy another one. Happy Trails and Merry Christmas 🎄

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Thanks
Tim

Great Co. with great customer service. Yes, they stand behind their stuff.

I got my first in 1990... after 28 years it had finally been beat up enough that I decided to get a new one (which cost less than the original in 1990). New one is just as good as the original.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’ve had one since early or mid-nineties. Not the greatest in bright, overhead sunlight, but has always worked well for me otherwise. I’m not looking for high-powered SPC , I just want to know how fast my bullets are going. Occasionally I get a funny reading, but usually everything is about where I figure it should be.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being how I paid about $50 for my Shooting Chrony over 30 years ago and it still works just fine - I can't really complain too much. But, it does work much better under a cloudy sky or shaded on a sunny day. Been thinking about replacing it with a ProChrono Pal but have not got around to it yet.

Last edited by centershot; 12/17/20.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ve on my second Shooting Chrony, which is over 20 years old and still working. The first succumbed to an errant .338 projectile....a short sad story! whistle memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always good to hear about how great Shooting Chronys are, from people who've never compared their results to a real chronograph.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always good to hear about how great Shooting Chronys are, from people who've never compared their results to a real chronograph.

Laughin' here.......... laugh

MM

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I set up a friend's Shooting Chrony directly behind my Oehler 35 screens. The Chrony readings were fairly reliable @ 100 ft/sec faster that the two readings provided by the Oehler. Out of curiosity I sent my Oehler back to the factory to have its accuracy verified. The unit bench tested within specs and gave proper reading when used with their test ammo which produces a known velocity.

They also told me it's almost impossible to have a bad velocity output when the two read-outs coincide.

I lost faith in the Chronys after that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a Pro Chrony, it did quite well when it did. Suddenly much better velocity readings than I expected. Have a Labradar now. Not going back. Ease of setup etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie - NY;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day treated you acceptably and this finds you and all that matter well.

Thanks for sharing your Shooting Chrony testing, I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Back in the day when the Shooting Chrony first came out my good wife bought one for me and I used it with reasonable success ever since, but occasionally it'd have an odd reading day.

This spring, I happened to bump into a shooting buddy at the range and he had a much newer version than mine, but he said he was regularly getting screwy readings from it so asked if we could piggy back the units for the sake of science and all. wink

While I could go drag out my notes from range day, going off of my memory it went something like this....

The first rifle we tried was a .22 rimfire and his gave consistently slower velocities than mine did, but with a couple different types of ammo it seemed pretty consistent so we were both more or less okay.

Then we tried his 17HRM and again his was slower than mine was and the spread was about the right percentage difference so we were still not terribly concerned.

Up next I torched off a few test loads with my 6.5x55 and now mine was "a whole lot" slower than his and I knew something was up because I'd tried a new can of powder which resulted in enough pressure to loosen the primer pocket. Something was rotten in Denmark...

Finally I ran my .308 Norma across them and again they didn't agree and the spread was more than 150fps as I recall.

So after chatting about life and family, he said he was ordering a Magneto Speed, I intended to get a Pro Chrono and we were going to meet again for a re-run of the data! laugh

Thus far I've used the Pro Chrono about 3 or 4 times and am very pleased with it, but haven't piggy backed it with my old Shooting Chrony, I suppose just not seeing the point, you know?

Anyways, that's how it all went for us up here across the medicine line with our chronograph science experiments this year.

All the best to you all this Christmas Season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Thanks
Tim

Great Co. with great customer service. Yes, they stand behind their stuff.

I got my first in 1990... after 28 years it had finally been beat up enough that I decided to get a new one (which cost less than the original in 1990). New one is just as good as the original.

I just realized we’re talking about two different things. Mine is a Pro Chrono by Competition Electronics, which I’ve also tested against far more expensive chronographs and found it spot on. I’ve never used a “Shooting Chrony.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.