-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A young lad in our 2020 deer camp shot this buck at 80 yards with Hornady 170 grain bullet that was quartering away from him. Nicked the liver, through the lungs and broke off side front leg just below shoulder blade. Death run was just shy of 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KenMi
The Winchester 150 is one of the softer bullets. Many reports of no exits if shoulder or bone is hit.
I load the Maker 150 TREX in mine at 2450 fps. Accurate as hell and haven't had one stop even after taking out 2 shoulders.

KenMi, I used that bullet (TREX) this year also with success. What load are you using? I settled on 23g Lil Gun for 2300 out of a 22 inch barrel. Existing load data from Hogden seems very HOT, and it's almost like wildcatting with this cartridge until more factory data comes available. I'd love a good subsonic load for suppressor use also.

I'm glad people are still finding this thread helpful.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Planning on buying an upper to replace my savage axis this summer

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
when this round came out and my sense that sooner or later i would hunt Iowa again I set to out to create a 350 legend gun that was not a plastic nightmare, I found a older Weatherby Vanguard 223, a real gun no plastic clip BS etc. and sent it to JES and had it rebored to the 350 legend, whamo when the letter comes some year with my tag i have the gun. I cannot take the plastic this, plastic that crap that comes out now, yes they shoot MOA but when you drop the clip and you have four pieces on the floor, really!!!! It shoots the factory Win, ammo just fine out to 150 yards better than i can hold it steady, plenty for a deer gun and I have a legitimate gun in my hands.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by KenMi
The Winchester 150 is one of the softer bullets. Many reports of no exits if shoulder or bone is hit.
I load the Maker 150 TREX in mine at 2450 fps. Accurate as hell and haven't had one stop even after taking out 2 shoulders.

KenMi, I used that bullet (TREX) this year also with success. What load are you using? I settled on 23g Lil Gun for 2300 out of a 22 inch barrel. Existing load data from Hogden seems very HOT, and it's almost like wildcatting with this cartridge until more factory data comes available. I'd love a good subsonic load for suppressor use also.

I'm glad people are still finding this thread helpful.

27.5 Lil' Gun with Rem 7 1/2 primers. No signs of pressure at all
Tried 26.0 of H110 and got a sticky bolt lift with that. Both loads were accurate, but settled on the Lil' Gun. That gets better velocity anyhow at lower pressure.
Wouldn't try it in an AR, but in a bolt gun it worked fine.
That was going off of data that Hornady sent for the 170 grain bullet. Was also getting a sticky bolt lift with the same H110 load with the 170 Hornady bullets. I use the 27.5 Lil' Gun with the 170 Hornady's as well, and that one is fine. The 170s shoot to about 1 1/2" groups or so. The Makers all stack in one ragged hole at 100.

A friend tried the Makers in his Winchester XPR, and blew a case. The throat in that rifle is too tight for anything except a .355" bullet.
The Maker is .3565. I have heard that the Ruger will not accept .357" bullets, but I have not tried it yet. Really no need to.

Last edited by KenMi; 12/14/20.
IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks KenMi.

All the Hogden loads were very HOT in my experience. I don't think my rifles would take that much powder. Seems to be a lot of variance in components and rifles for the 350L.

Are you crimping into the cannelure on the TREX. I did and had excessive case stretch. Since the case headspaces on the mouth it seems best to not crimp unless absolutely necessary. It a neat round but not for the beginning handloader.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Taper crimp after seating to proper OAL. It is at cannelure but still allows proper headspacing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old thread but plenty of owners of 350 legend on it. I have a Winchester XPR ordered. What did you all zero your rifles at? From my 30 year experience in hunting Ohio my shots will be from 15 to 200 yards max with most 30-100.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 16" AR in one that I've been working with a bit. I had some feeding issues and was getting some bullet set back which Canberra dangerous in a straight wall case. Even with a heavy crimp from a lee fcd. I polished up the m4 feed ramps and opened them a bit. I then tuned up the feed lips in my mags.

The chance of set back still worried me so I worked up my own compressed load with H4198 and a Hornady 170g. I'm getting just over 2200 fps with good accuracy and it's a nice clean burning temp stable load.

My gun is undergassed for the cheap win 145g fmj stuff but cycles fine with my loads and any other factory stuff. It's kind of a fun little gun.

I bought 1000 RMR 147g flat point truncated cone fmjs I'm going to work up a load for next for plinking. I've got a bunch of old data 2200 surplus ball stuff that might be slow enough to work up a compressed load with. If I find one that works well I'll crank some out on the progressive. I bought a bunch of starline brass when we could get it.

Bb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by roundoak
A young lad in our 2020 deer camp shot this buck at 80 yards with Hornady 170 grain bullet that was quartering away from him. Nicked the liver, through the lungs and broke off side front leg just below shoulder blade. Death run was just shy of 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great photo and congrats to the young man.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Haven't seen ammo on the shelves for this cartridge anywhere and also hadn't even looked threads on it...

But I picked up two of these on a Savage Axis at Walmart. Bought them to rebarrel to 17 Fireball.

however after the fact, I've picked one up, shouldered it, just for the feel.

Can only speak for the Savage, but talked about a balanced rifle, with the 18 inch barrel, but then the stiffer barrel profile for the 35 caliber...

I liked it so much, I ordered the 17 Fireball in the exact same profile and barrel length.. now the 4 month wait to have the barrel show up.

Would like to have some ammo show up on shelves, just to try out the barrel and round out.

it is fun read the comments on this thread. I've been loading my rifles for deer season to this velocity range for a decade or two....people have always laughed at me for doing so... comments like " you left 600 fps sitting on the table?"

last year hunted with a 6.5 Grendal, that I loaded with a 140 grain Speer SP, in about the velocity range of the Legend here...

bullet went in one side and out the other, as the deer bang/flopped .. Rifle the Ruger American Predator

Each of these just reinventing the 30/30 in a new package...

The Savage Axis 2, that I have in this chambering, I think is the best balance of any rifle I have for the type of hunting I do...30/30 ranges, 200 yds and under. as my granddad use to say about his 30/30, Its all ya ever need...

This is going in the right direction, considering all the mega magnums that have been coming out...over the last decade or two.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm really fond of these smaller calibers and appreciate the knowledge being shared here. Thanks John.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Glad to see the thread still going. It's a fun but challenging cartridge to load for. Forgetting the crimping step solved case stretch issues but I only shoot bolt guns.

I've been messing with a 220g Marker bullet with 11.1g of Lil Gun. Literally one hole groups at 50 and ~1050 fps. Still waiting on my suppressor to get out of jail to really see how quiet it will be. Should be an effective 50 yd load taking archery type broadside shots. Also looking for some Trailboss to try loads with some 147g 9mm bullets.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (16penny, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.