Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yesterday I received my Nosler # 9 Reloading Guide, may I share my observations of the guide. I am no gun writer but here are some of my takes and takeaways from the Guide.

John Nosler opens by saying that this Loading Guide "is the most in-depth and well thought out book I have seen Nosler produce"

That got my attention, I was really hoping to see all the new powders that we now have from the past 10 to 15 years in new loads for the cartridges listed.

We have never had better times for components! I was hoping Nosler would build on that.

My takes.

It was nice to see a Burn Rate Chart in the Guide, maybe that is a first.

The Cartridge index list 9 new cartridges, 5 of which are Noslers.

To read what the 'gun writers' have to say about each cartridge listed and given the amount of space they have to write a piece it's enjoyable to read. It's nice to keep up with some old faces from past Guides and then see some new faces in the industry.

I really liked the read about the 6.5 PRC from Jason Hornady, it was great to see a competitor and yet a friend of the Nosler family writing in their bible! What a hoot. Great new cartridge too.

Some of the writers were a right fit in the cartridges they wrote about, like JB and the 9.3x62. But Terry Wieland paired with the 250 Savage cartridge?

The Guide is a showcase of Noslers 8 proprietary cartridges, and I think that is the main reason for the Guide.
To show off their new cartridges.

Some Takeaways

I was highly anticipating that the Guide would show us some new loads with all the new components we now have.
It was sadly lacking in that area and pretty much a re-hash of past guides from decades ago. Nothing new to see.

In the 6.5 Creedmoor 123/125 grain bullets, Nosler list a now re-called powder IMR 4007 SSC as the "Most Accurate powder tested" A lot of good that will do us. lol

RL 26, RL 23, and RL 16 are hardly given mention along with Winchester 6.5 Staball powder and the newer IMR powders.
Just to name a few.

No mention of the 338 RCM.
No new loads for the 338-06 with new powders, one of many that did not. Just the same loads from decades ago.

Bottom line, just another re-hash of decades past loads with old powders. Copy and paste job at best.

The Guide left me wanting and asking why did I even bother buying it.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
An old post of mine:

Originally Posted by mathman

I'm pretty sure Nosler carries old data forward.

For 308 Winchester the type of brass used changes from Winchester to Nosler when moving from the fifth to the sixth edition of their manual. Looking at the 165/168 grain data will show that for the powders listed in both editions every charge level of every powder produced exactly the same velocity. The load densities reported were all higher in the sixth edition. This is in line with my experience with Nosler 308 brass of the era which was thicker, heavier and of smaller capacity than WW. If I had to lay a bet on who produced that brass for Nosler my money would be on Federal.

If Nosler had reshot the fifth edition data using the same components even the very next day it's unlikely that the results would be identical.

I just gave the fourth edition a look and it looks like for the powders which carried over to the fifth the charge weight - velocity pairings carried over verbatim as well.

So over an eleven year span, and with a component change to less capacious brass, the test results were identical. That's about as likely as Joe Biden winning the Abel Prize.

How much 4th edition 308 data has carried forward to the new one?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well sh*t never won the lottery either but I have 1- 8 so I'll prolly get 9 also. We want up to date data guess you better read the fire. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes i have that Nosler #9 reloading manual and many more new and old reloading manuals, i still think the new Berger reloading manual is best for me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hell, I just got #8

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose since we can't find powder or primers we might as well sit back and read about reloading In the good old days 😁

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SU,

Were any of Ramshots powders listed?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
Yesterday I received my Nosler # 9 Reloading Guide, may I share my observations of the guide. I am no gun writer but here are some of my takes and takeaways from the Guide.

John Nosler opens by saying that this Loading Guide "is the most in-depth and well thought out book I have seen Nosler produce"

That got my attention, I was really hoping to see all the new powders that we now have from the past 10 to 15 years in new loads for the cartridges listed.

We have never had better times for components! I was hoping Nosler would build on that.

My takes.

It was nice to see a Burn Rate Chart in the Guide, maybe that is a first.

The Cartridge index list 9 new cartridges, 5 of which are Noslers.

To read what the 'gun writers' have to say about each cartridge listed and given the amount of space they have to write a piece it's enjoyable to read. It's nice to keep up with some old faces from past Guides and then see some new faces in the industry.

I really liked the read about the 6.5 PRC from Jason Hornady, it was great to see a competitor and yet a friend of the Nosler family writing in their bible! What a hoot. Great new cartridge too.

Some of the writers were a right fit in the cartridges they wrote about, like JB and the 9.3x62. But Terry Wieland paired with the 250 Savage cartridge?

The Guide is a showcase of Noslers 8 proprietary cartridges, and I think that is the main reason for the Guide.
To show off their new cartridges.

Some Takeaways

I was highly anticipating that the Guide would show us some new loads with all the new components we now have.
It was sadly lacking in that area and pretty much a re-hash of past guides from decades ago. Nothing new to see.

In the 6.5 Creedmoor 123/125 grain bullets, Nosler list a now re-called powder IMR 4007 SSC as the "Most Accurate powder tested" A lot of good that will do us. lol

RL 26, RL 23, and RL16 are hardly given mention along with Winchester 6.5 Staball powder and the newer IMR powders.
Just to name a few.

No mention of the 338 RCM.
No new loads for the 338-06 with new powders, one of many that did not. Just the same loads from decades ago.

Bottom line, just another re-hash of decades past loads with old powders. Copy and paste job at best.

The Guide left me wanting and asking why did I even bother buying it.

Thanks for saving me the bucks. I was hoping for some new powder data with older cartridges. Guess that aint gonna happen this issue.

I just have no interest in most of the newer rounds.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still like the Nosler the best as its the best organised/presented (Speer the worst) plus it is the only one of the majors that lists the water capacity of the cases and those capacities are tailored to the bullet weight category. Not just 1 case capacity across all bullet weights. That's quite useful I think.

Even though you can get most of the info free from the internet now I still like to buy the reloading manuals! An enjoyable read in front of the fireplace!

regards
JohnT

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
SU,

Were any of Ramshots powders listed?

Yes, in some cartridges they were, Big Game, Hunter, Magnum. But these powders have been around for a while.

IC B3

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for saving me the bucks. I was hoping for some new powder data with older cartridges. Guess that aint gonna happen this issue.

Gun Gack 3 is your friend for that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I usually buy it just for the write up for each cartridge, most of the data is usually just regurgitated from previous manuals and can be found online.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure wish I'd seen this yesterday before I bought one from SPS. But that gave me a chance to throw in some more bullets, though their stocks are dwindling. Had to get another bag of those dirt-cheap 9.3 250 ABs an .338 250 E-Tips, and 3 more of those funny looking stubby ogive .257 115 Partitions. My gut tells me they will be the absolute cat's @$$ if I ever score/build a fast twist .250 savage. In the meantime going to try 'em in the .257 Roberts.

Thanks again for the review, Rooskie Fighter Jet Guy.
Rex

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If we take into consideration how many bullets Nosler produces (105 based on the #9 manual), and how many powders tested with a single bullet, and how many shots fired with a particular powder starting at low to high, and all that being evaluated after a series of 5 shots per load with a single bullet (average), to build a complete NEW manual from scratch would be far too costly and time consuming!

And they have less that 1/2 the number of bullets (varmint, small game, game, and big game, plus handgun bullets) than Hornady!

Son I think expectations need be more realistic!

When you get to be my age (some will make it, most won't) you are, or will be, more realistic in expectations. Firstly, I don't need (or want) all the new powders or cartridges on the market, most of which provides no improvement over what I have. Some of the latest powders do give better results overall. But the "new" cartridges are mostly a tune that's been played a few times already.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'll probably bite and buy one just to see if there's data for the 70g accubond in a fast twist 22-250.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I find Nosler data to be like reading an Elmer Keith book, lame, over inflated and full of BS. They only use their brass and their bullets.

RJj

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't see Hornady using many Nosler bullets in their data. Come to think of it, Sierra doesn't use Berger bullets either. What's the deal?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't see Hornady using many Nosler bullets in their data. Come to think of it, Sierra doesn't use Berger bullets either. What's the deal?

Odd, isn't it?

Come to think of it, though, why doesn't Hodgdon's data use Hodgdon bullets?

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hodgdon's makes bullets?!

...crap!.......I'm always late to the party...

β€œSome ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anyone know where I can find some Hodgdon brass in stock? Midway seems to be out, as do Grafs and Midsouth.

Asking for a friend.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.