Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Those are really good calibers for the light package of a TCR.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
tag...

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Fondled it again, safety ain't that bad, kinda weird. It is definitely not a magnum. I believe it is gonna be a birthday present to myself next week. Now if I can find a smith that works on barrels for these, since I shouldn't shoot the 7 mag on it and it is apparently least valuable of all barrels...

Seems like a 6.5x55 or 7x57 would be ideal...

It is interesting- perhaps it is case head diameter on mag cartridges that causes the issue with frame/lockup re backpressure? Chamber Pressure should be the same, 308 case to mag case, right? I recall that issue with contender frames- 223 based cases fine, 473 diameter a no no...

Merry Christmas everyone!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A long time ago I had a TCR aristocrat in 7mm mag. It was my first centerfire rifle. Bought it because it was darn good looking and I wanted a "deer rifle."

I think 7mm mag is too much for that action. If you buy that set, I'd stay away from the 7mm barrel.

I didn't know much about break action single shots back then. I only shot factory ammo but opening the action was often stiff. I think the primer was sometimes protruding slightly back into the firing pin hole and locking up that action. I'd have to use a lot of force to open the action "briskly". Then it would rebound against stop. Eventually I bent the forearm frame a little.

I bought a new forearm and a .243 barrel and used that several years. It worked fine. Eventually I wanted the pretty aristocrat forearm to work so I sent it and the 7mm barrel back to TC. They fixed it but It would still lock up with 7mm so I sold it.

They are pretty rifles. Nice blueing and wood. I really liked the set trigger. The safety never bothered me. It's a little different but not hard to get accustomed to.

I've seen them for sale occasionally. They are still darn good looking, but now I know good looks isn't everything. But at that price... I'd buy that set you found in a heart beat.

Circles
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As I understand the monobloc arrangement, the barrel shank is pressed in and either pinned or spot welded in the monobloc. Either method can be "disabled" and the barrel pressed out. I have heard, second hand mind you, of a fellow who replaced the welds with set screws and made it into an interchangeable barrel system. Dunno about that.
The barrel shank is a very tight fit and inserting a replacement would require freezing the barrel and heating the monobloc in order to press the barrel in.

IowaDon on Graybeard Outdoors(original version) has had a few done but I don't know if his gunsmith(s) are still with us. Deaconllb on Graybeard has been frustrated trying to find a currently working "smith to do a barrel swap. I believe gunsmiths with precision machinist skills could do the job, but there is little interest because if something goes south, replacement parts are not available. A barrel swap from a .530" to a .473" base cartridge would require making the extractor leg a little longer by welding buildup and machining to the smaller cartridge base diameter.

From another web site: "The magnum barrels required a magnum receiver as both were different to the rifles chambered for standard rounds. Magnum barrels had an extra pin in the face of the breech that fitted into a groove in the locking bolt for additional strength. Magnum receivers were stamped T/C MAG on the bottom of the receiver behind the barrel pivot pin. Standard barrels for both the M83 and M87 would fit the magnum receivers but not vice versa."

Check to see if the 7mm barrel will fit the action. If there is a pin in the way and the barrel won't close and lock up, try to purchase without the mag barrel, or bargain the price down and either sell the mag barrel or have the pin removed and handload the mag cartridges with reduced charges to 7 x 57 or .280 specifications.

Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 12/26/20. Reason: add
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Doing custom searches on Gun Broker and Guns International for "TCR", "Thompson 83" and "Thompson 87" will give you an idea of prices and various receivers and barrels that are available. Doing a search on Gun Broker completed listings may give you an idea of what the barrels are actually selling for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
there were interesting small runs made by the custom shop, 7x64 Brenneke ive seen but anyone have experience with it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious if there's anyone still around doing barrels, I believe most people stopped because the supply of blocks/donor barrels as well as demand disappeared. Now I think most of those people have retired or passed on. The man who built my barrel is no longer with us. frown

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Well...went back, got a good deal and bought it...now for bases and scopes...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
weaver 405 fits it just right

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I may have a Weaver 405 around here...

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
That would be cool, but looking at the midwayusa site as recommended- the 405s are available and less than $7...

Last edited by JRK; 01/01/21. Reason: Cant spell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
shipping and tax will be that much...

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Any of you TCR guys know the size of the mounting screws attaching base to receiver on these?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
^

6x48

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a couple of oddball TC bbls, one a TCR in .22 hornet and the other a Contender .256 win Custom Shop.
If anybody is interested, PM me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hookeye
I have a couple of oddball TC bbls, one a TCR in .22 hornet and the other a Contender .256 win Custom Shop.
If anybody is interested, PM me.

PM sent re: TCR barrel

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sounds like a good price! Ive always wanted one. A very classy looking single shot.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Listed a Redfield type base w std Leupold rings in classifieds.
Bought the base for my dad and he never used it.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just picked up two 83’s a 7RM and a 7-08 at auction. Haven’t had one for years

"I'm in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it's difficult to analyze love when you're in it." John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

143 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 338reddog, 26 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,468
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.