Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15547057 12/19/20
J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Found one at the lgs today. 3 bbl set, 223, 243, 7mm mag. Double triggers. Does this make it an 83? Few marks on the reciever, 4 digit s/n, hard to tell what model. I have a contender, though I am mainly a ruger #1 guy, the limit of my t/c experience. Always thought these were interesting, a kipplauf would be kinda cool, and I have wanted a 223 single shot. I understand factory and tooling burnt and that the safety is odd, don't know much else. Nice shape, a few dings on stock, metal great..They want 899 for rifle+ extra bbls. Likely a good price? Things to watch for?

Last edited by JRK; 12/19/20.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned a few of these and always thought they were the classiest looking single shot available. The safety is a PITA, never understood why they felt the need to over engineer it. The price sounds very reasonable for the rifle and extra barrels. The ones I've had were built to very close tolerances and reloading was sometimes tricky, requiring small base dies for one I had.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You want to make sure the receiver says "Magnum" on it if you plan to shoot the 7mm Mag barrel (which I do NOT recommend, due to weight). Some of the Aristocrats had really nice wood. If this one is a double trigger model, I suspect its an Aristocrat. Also the forearm will have a lever instead of the flat head screw that the hunter models have.
I always thought this was one of the most handsome rifles and have owned a few over the years but have never had one that just shot lights out. It could be the shooter and not the gun though...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks. Yes, must be the aristocrat. Nice wood and the lever. Magnum would be stamped externally? (Something about a 2 pc locking bolt being retrofitted? I will have to look. I think no scope bases. I suppose I could trip the 7mm barrel if it isn't a magnumized action... I also think tgat there may be no scope bases, which may be an issue...they seem hard find. I will want to shoot and hunt it...I will really need to look at the safety, it sounds goofy to operate. Neat looking rifle, though...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You can find scope bases online but there isn't a good selection of bases. An idea is to get the gunsmith Warne base and have it shaped to mount on your TCR. The barrel can be used for a new barrel. The secret is to use the monolug and thread a new barrel on. It's done.

IC B2

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
...and, I guess you disrecommended shooting the magnum just due to overall rifle weight and not whether or not magnum retrofit was completed?

Be good to weigh it, kind of a chunky little thing...

Thanks, interesting stuff...

Last edited by JRK; 12/20/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
From Midwayusa.com

scope base:
Weaver Top-Mount Scope Base #405 Gloss

Product #: 552288 Manufacturer #: 48105 UPC #: 076683481054

Weaver Top-Mount Scope Base #405
List Price: $11.45
Our Price: $9.99
Available
Finish: Gloss Black
Material: Aluminum
Style: Weaver
Compatible With: Thompson Center TCR
Piece: 1

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 12/20/20.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JRK
...and, I guess you disrecommended shooting the magnum just due to overall rifle weight and not whether or not magnum retrofit was completed?

Be good to weigh it, kind of a chunky little thing...

Thanks, interesting stuff...

I think there's 2 reasons. 1 is that if the frame is not a magnum, it may not be safe. 2. I think the 7 Mag in such a light rifle would kick like the hammer of Thor.

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks again. I will report back. Wheels are really spinning...may seem like an odd tool for the purpose, but I backpack hunt blacktails. There are lots of grouse and mtn quail about. I have a 257 tcu contender carbine barrel, been fooling with the idea of finding a 28 ga contender bbl for a lwt combo that would allow me to hike for birds after killing my buck. The tcu is a bit light for the sometimes long shots on trophy animals, so I've been dithering. Now a 20 ga barrel on the tcr....loonie-ism is fun...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I always wanted to get a TCR and slim it down like AJ Renners Germanic stalkers http://www.rjrenner.com/ruger-no.1.html get a classic barrel for a 7x57 or 6.5x55 and then go stalking with it. I think it would make a good back packing rifle or rifle /shot gun combo.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell, at that price I might be tempted myself...

Might not too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JRK
Thanks. Yes, must be the aristocrat. I also think that there may be no scope bases, which may be an issue...they seem hard find. I will want to shoot and hunt it.

I cut off a Weaver #405 base even with the mono bloc, to eliminate the front overhang, and milled a new cross slot. Results allow for proper eye relief with a Leupold 2-7x33 in QRW rings:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's a good mod.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magnum.. mine says " - MAG - " on the bottom between the T/C logo and the serial number.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I always loved the concept of the TCRs. But I always hated how they feel. And the DST and/or extra safeties were real deal breakers!

I always REALLY loved the concept of the Contender Carbines. But I always hated the way they look. But I always liked the way they feel, when they have an actual carbine length barrel (my friend has a 26" custom .223 with the ergonomics of a posthole digger....).

After much fuddling around, including a period of trying to get to like Contender pistols with almost-carbine barrels ("Super 14," etc.). they came out with the G2, which was about as good as the concept was going to get. So I got one. Then I got another. Then I got an MGM 28 VR barrel to go with my .357 Max "Super 16" carbine. Then I got an MGM .410 VR barrel to go with my MGM "match grade" "Super 16" .22 LR. Now I'm wondering what caliber(s) to get next....

It IS fun being a loonie!

And you CAN kill upland birds with that 28 barrel, if you can find one--done California quail, blue grouse, and chukars. The .410 I keep on the gun and loaded with Winchester 000 buckshot loads for "things that go bump in the night". And cottontails with birdshot.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cas6969
Magnum.. mine says " - MAG - " on the bottom between the T/C logo and the serial number.

That's good.

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I need to go back and look again...too much work...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mm Mag is far and away the most common spare barrel you run across for sale. I guess for obvious reason.

12ga slug barrels must be fun to shoot too. I'm tempted by them now and again, but the last thing I need is another slug gun and I know my one and only forend won't fit it.

I haven't hunted with mine near as much as I'd, possible only a couple times. One shot at game, and the silly safety didn't effect or bother me in the least. Though it was a shot with a little bit of time, not like I jumped the deer and made a snap shot. I've read of people crazy gluing the "first" safety in the depressed position.

At $900 I suppose you could look at it as buying three barrels and getting the gun for free. Or buying two barrel and a gun and getting a barrel you don't want for free. laugh

I still kick myself about my .243 barrel. Had it NIB for 15+ years with no gun. Finally sold it on auction for $200, then a year or two later, bought a rifle. The story of my life.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That is a pretty good price.....hard to beat. IIRC the difference between mag and non mag is a stiffer spring in the locking mechanism and a pin on the barrel lug which prevents a mag barrel from closing and locking up on a non-mag receiver. Don't know if the locking block is the same. A mag spring could be installed in a non mag receiver and the pin removed or cut off.
7mm mag TCR barrels go for as little as $150 and could be used as a donor monobloc for another caliber barrel.....if you can find a 'smith who can/will do the work. Other calibers go for $275 and frequently well north of $300.

I know of one 20 ga rifled barrel installation on a reverse engineered monobloc, but the smith that did is semi-retired and not interested in doing another conversion. Rifled 12 ga TCR with Hornady SST slugs does kick....slip on limbsaver recoil pad helps.

Last edited by Aagaardsporter; 12/24/20. Reason: add
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would love to have a TCR, I wish i could find one at a decent price, 243 or a 223.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,421
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.