Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 106 1 2 3 4 105 106
H
H
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by osix

……Isolating the cluster didn't work in Vic…..

Yes it did. It did not spread across Victoria entirely.

…. most are now doing a roaring Christmas trade. …

Except those whose businesses went to the wall.

….NSW is currently experiencing an outbreak….

No it’s not but Sydney is. Most of NSW is COVID free.

Mostly the border closures have done more harm (financially) than good – just a knee jerk reaction. Currently we now have border checks – to stop those from the Sydney greater area entering QLD. WA has gone full knee-jerk and not allowing anyone from NSW in at all.

Just think about it – the borders are a line on a map, and this line does not coincide with any covid affected area boundary. Why cripple businesses without any sound logical or medical basis. It should be about logical containment within an area – borders are irrelevant. What if there is an outbreak on a border – totally isolate the entire states affected? Kinda crazy don’t you think?

My 2 cents. Unfortunately I am slightly informed on the topic due to my work.
Everything is just a line on a map. Suburbs, Cities and States. We live in a world of highly mobile populations so a State border is as good as anywhere to draw the line.

NSW has taken a completely different stance on dealing with COVID than any other State. Their model has been suppression - accepting community transmission will occur and then using contact tracing and other measures. The other States have taken a different approach of eradication.

So the reason States take a different approach - NT, WA and QLD have large indigenous populations. COVID is known to be extremely bad in those communities due to the bad health levels. The USA had a massive death rate in a native Indian community early in the piece.
Tassie has extremely low ICU bed to population numbers.

Vic showed what happens when you have poorly done community transmission. They did it tough and got it back through a really tough journey (respect to those who lived through that).

These days all COVID outbreaks are linked to international arrivals - . It’s the greatest risk, all outbreaks are directly linked to failures in the international quarantine programs. The FEDS just wipe their hands of it and say its a State problem. The full cost of the hotel quarantine program will not be known for a long time.
Anyway IMHO if Gladys wanted to actually put in some serious restrictions and controls in NSW then we would not have to close State borders as the safeguard, it would keep the rest of the country open.

PS I certainly did not vote for the member for Inala or her party.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

To be quite honest, I'm not sure how the vaccine arrangements are being unrolled over here - for the people that I associate with there is no real concern over needing to get it, or even getting Covid for that matter. The situation is different over here since we've largely squashed the spread of it, but not without damages (political mismanagement). Personally I'll probably wait a year or two before I consider getting the vaccine - let it get tested and proven first. I suspect that it may get rolled up into the flu vaccine before I get it anyway. If I were 20 years older I'd probably be thinking differently, but can only speculate.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought it time for another covid winge.

Here in Brisbane recently a hotel cleaner/worker contracted the new highly contageous version of covid from quarantining overseas travellers, and visited several shopping centres and retail outlets before she discovered she had the virus. Jeanette ordered a lockdown for Brisbane and surrounding areas. From testing it was discovered that the highly contageous new version had only managed to be passed on from the hotel worker to her partner.

The "kicker" is that Jeanette is claiming the shutdown as a success when in fact it had nothing to do with it - the covid hadn't community spread in the first place. Admittedly if it had spread, the shutdown probably would have helped, but claiming victory where there is none, is just plain wrong.

An honest response would have been to say that the shutdown was a precaution but subsequently found to not provide any benefit, but then I guess that might open some sort of floodgate of the border shutdowns being unnecessary - I think they are still claiming victory over that to avoid any responsibility for the subsequent unnecessary financial damage caused.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 01/16/21.

Well?
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Article sounds like someone is trying to sell the "fact" that the australian gov'ts response has been spot on. Quite the sales pitch, whether it is accurate or not!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
For me, Suppose I am just hoping to gain an understanding of the lesser of the evils in dealing w Covid-19. What is worse experiencing setbacks with existing business & other activities.

Or is it worse to allow the loss of significant percentage of your population that are dealing with underlying conditions in the name of keeping the economy rolling. The pain experienced with the high Covid numbers goes well beyond the increase in fatalities. Expect the long haulers is quite real to boot & only time will tell how extensive this burden will be on individuals & the health care system.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Regardless of all the opinions of border closures and loss of business, one of the great successes was the contact tracing that was put in place. It allowed the Government to track down anyone who infected others in a public place, like a restaurant. Some of the border closures were over the top, but stopping international flights coming in was great even though the Chinese got their pasties in a wad over that. Even though they stated the who bloody thing. I think that basically being an Island Nation was also a big help, plus our relatively small population; around 25 million in a country roughly the size of the Continental US.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this was already asked but didn't Australia have a pretty strict quarantine requirement for people traveling from international locations?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by triplecanopy
Regardless of all the opinions of border closures and loss of business, one of the great successes was the contact tracing that was put in place. It allowed the Government to track down anyone who infected others in a public place, like a restaurant. Some of the border closures were over the top, but stopping international flights coming in was great even though the Chinese got their pasties in a wad over that. Even though they stated the who bloody thing. I think that basically being an Island Nation was also a big help, plus our relatively small population; around 25 million in a country roughly the size of the Continental US.

Are there many China appeasers now in Australia? Id be pretty nervous about China if I was an Aussie now. They're all over South America, Africa raping all of the natural resources.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this was already asked but didn't Australia have a pretty strict quarantine requirement for people traveling from international locations?

Yes and still do. Our source of new covid cases is from overseas since we've largely stopped breeding it over here aka community transmission.

Well?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Hunterapp

From this Americans view point Australia has done a fairly good job mitigating the spread of Covid-19. Suppose I am curious how opinion varies throughout Australia, What has been done well & what would you do different?

For one reason or another your results of inhibiting the spread seems to be admirable from the outside looking in. Do the Australian people feel they are doing to much or to little for the most part. please share what you feel is working well in terms of slowing the spread of covid 19 in Australia.

Or do they count only the actual covid cases....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yes and still do. Our source of new covid cases is from overseas since we've largely stopped breeding it over here aka community transmission.

I should have added that there's talk of shifting the overseas arrivals to more remote quarantining locations because where covid has gotten into the community it has been often due the hotel workers becoming infected and then sharing it. The existing hotels are based in high density population areas.

I'm in Brisbane and there is a relatively new large airport at Toowoomba (2hrs drive west of Brisbane) where they were looking to build quarantining quarters. Sounds logical, maybe not so much to the Toowoombians.

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here we go again - a 3 day shutdown in Brisbane and surrounds due to an outbreak. We've been importing covid from overseas via overseas travellers and a local doctor treating these covid patients has passed it on now to the community.

You'd think that there would be extra precautions around this, but whatever they have in place clearly didn't work. The doctor wasn't found to be at fault for doing anything wrong, but now Anna and Jeanette are blaming the community spread on the public becoming too complacent, probably to prep us for the shutdown punishment.

Sounds more like a fault with the top end rules that allowed this to occur. Anyone else that comes in contact with a covid case has to isolate for 14 days, but doctors treating covid patients appear to have more freedom to roam the community.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The whole state effected because of a handful of cases in Brisbane, what is the matter with the Clowns in charge? Are they that dense?
Can they not see the harm they are causing?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well they seem to be wising up - they seem to realise now that maybe it wasn't a good idea to let those unvaccinated doctors and nurses who treat covid patients wander around the community. Sounds like common sense to everybody else. Of course that still relies on the vaccination being 100% effective.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Common sense seems to be in short supply for those in the Political Class....

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Internationally....

Take our "President".

Please.

We will throw in his henchmen , accomplices, ands Chinese financiers as well.

Oh, PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!

Last edited by las; 04/02/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm not sure about that - our parliament building has a bit of a stairway up into it

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Stairs can be a problem for some....

Page 2 of 106 1 2 3 4 105 106

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
122 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.