Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 105 106
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

From this Americans view point Australia has done a fairly good job mitigating the spread of Covid-19. Suppose I am curious how opinion varies throughout Australia, What has been done well & what would you do different?

For one reason or another your results of inhibiting the spread seems to be admirable from the outside looking in. Do the Australian people feel they are doing to much or to little for the most part. please share what you feel is working well in terms of slowing the spread of covid 19 in Australia.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
States and territoties varied, some wore masks, most didnt, most locked small businesses down, some still do with restrictions at bars and cafes, but major businesses, retail and supermarkets are unrestricted. We sanitize door handles in stores, but no one cares how much fresh produce you handle or squeeze for freshness. You figure it out if you can.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So despite many questionable efforts and or lack thereof Australia seems to be experiencing more favorable results than a lot of other countries. Go figure! I am happy for you.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
great

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think the majority of us have gone along with the restrictions to get through it without fearing any long term loss of freedom - it'll blow over, she'll be right mate. Some of the restrictions were over the top and non-sensical, like border closures - done more harm to businesses than providing any sound control. Should just be isolate the "cluster" and protect the vulnerable (ie nursing homes).

I heard a clip in a news broadcast that some woman (green's politician?) suggested that we continue to wear masks even after COVID - that's just not going to happen. I'm in Brisbane and we never had to wear masks. I have to say that I've seen some asians wearing masks in the city going back several years now - not sure where they were from or what's wrong with them.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was in Japan in the 70's when in the USN. Yokosuka specifically. Wasn't unusual to see Japanese wearing face masks then. Don't know whether it was for pollution protection or what.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

[quote=mauserand9mm Should just be isolate the "cluster" and protect the vulnerable (ie nursing homes).
[/quote]

Isolating the cluster didn't work in Vic.
No one liked the hard shut down that was imposed or wearing masks or the restrictions in movement, the vast majority accepted it and complied, a handful of tin hatters protested.
The measures taken may have seemed harsh, but they worked, period.

We've now gone over 50 days with no communal transmission; unfortunately there have been some businesses gone to the wall, not too many in my local area, most are now doing a roaring Christmas trade.
You have to fix covid before you can fix the economy; people don't spend when confidence is low.

NSW is currently experiencing an outbreak, firmly in the camp of shut the boarders; no one wants to go through the lock downs again.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by osix

……Isolating the cluster didn't work in Vic…..

Yes it did. It did not spread across Victoria entirely.

…. most are now doing a roaring Christmas trade. …

Except those whose businesses went to the wall.

….NSW is currently experiencing an outbreak….

No it’s not but Sydney is. Most of NSW is COVID free.

Mostly the border closures have done more harm (financially) than good – just a knee jerk reaction. Currently we now have border checks – to stop those from the Sydney greater area entering QLD. WA has gone full knee-jerk and not allowing anyone from NSW in at all.

Just think about it – the borders are a line on a map, and this line does not coincide with any covid affected area boundary. Why cripple businesses without any sound logical or medical basis. It should be about logical containment within an area – borders are irrelevant. What if there is an outbreak on a border – totally isolate the entire states affected? Kinda crazy don’t you think?

Well?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by steve99
Was in Japan in the 70's when in the USN. Yokosuka specifically. Wasn't unusual to see Japanese wearing face masks then. Don't know whether it was for pollution protection or what.

Maybe that's what it is then. Brisbane doesn't have that much of an air pollution issue though but might just be a habit that they've developed. I'm thinking carbon monoxide might be more of a concern at the underground bus stations - need more than a mask for that though.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They could have just closed down hot spots. The outbreak in Melbourne did not spread to the rest of the state. Border closures, as with locking down the whole nation, should be a last resort.

Last edited by DBT; 12/21/20.
IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Originally Posted by DBT
They could have just closed down hot spots.

They did close down hot spots, 10 post code areas were put on grade 3 restrictions, didn't stop the spread.
It was only after the failure of containing the spread within those hot spots that restrictions were placed on the rest of Melbourne.
The Melbourne restrictions including check points on main arterial roads leading out; even so we had numbskulls who thought the regs didn't apply to them, one truck driver who immediately comes to mind started minor outbreaks in Kilmore and Shepparton.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is not just a few businesses going to the wall, this could effect how life is lived for 2 more generations. Also the effect on a locked up global supply chain means up to 250 million 3rd worlders are at risk of starvation next year. Hundreds of millions of units of vaccines and meds are held up, one official said an extra 7000 kids under the age of five are dying a day. Im not in the camp of saying the disease isnt real, but looking at the numbers I wonder if the response was justified.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by DBT

They did close down hot spots, 10 post code areas were put on grade 3 restrictions, didn't stop the spread.
It was only after the failure of containing the spread within those hot spots that restrictions were placed on the rest of Melbourne.
The Melbourne restrictions including check points on main arterial roads leading out; even so we had numbskulls who thought the regs didn't apply to them, one truck driver who immediately comes to mind started minor outbreaks in Kilmore and Shepparton.

My point was that both the first wave and the second wave did not spread throughout the state. That it was contained in Melbourne.

Yes, the truck driver did the wrong thing, but that was quickly suppressed.

Most of the state had no covid cases throughout the pandemic, yet was locked down regardless, causing needless business closures and income loss.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Originally Posted by DBT

Didn't stop it because halfwits still travelled around the state.

And as for the mask issue, we were down in Ballarat a couple of weeks ago and didn't bother wearing the damned things...kids up to twelve weren't wearing them, and whilst most adults were there were a large number wearing them over their mouth and not the nose.

Apparently in Victoria kids twelve and under cannot catch covid, seems those who wear the mask on their mouth only cannot either, nor can those who were eating, drinking, or just wandering about chatting.

I am of the opinion it is people control rather than disease control.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They love power and control, no doubt.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

[/quote]
My point was that both the first wave and the second wave did not spread throughout the state. That it was contained in Melbourne.
Most of the state had no covid cases throughout the pandemic, yet was locked down regardless, causing needless business closures and income loss. [/quote]

That's your opinion.
We weren't privy to the modeling that was used nor the advice provided to government; it's easy to pass judgement from a distance without having all the information after the fact.

The lock down and the restrictions worked, period; we've gone 54 days without communal transmission (the single case in Melbourne has come from Sydney)

What we have to consider is how many more businesses would be shut and how much more hardship would Victorians be experiencing if covid was raging through the community because government failed to act decisively ?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So far so good! Take a deep breath of satisfaction in that things have not been worse than they have. Pray that the good Lord keeps shining his grace on your brothers and sisters. Wish you all well! Good night Look forward to sharing that sun in a few hours. Wish you a good day happy Christmas's eve & a Merry Christmas. God is good & Always God is good! Though from our perspective he works in mysterious ways.

For us on the other side of the pond, The politics Played W this covid - well it is really hard to see Gods hand in this somtimes. Then it is not our place to question, Sorry I am wired that way!

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Most of the state had no covid cases throughout the pandemic, yet was locked down regardless, causing needless business closures and income loss. [/quote]

That's your opinion.
We weren't privy to the modeling that was used nor the advice provided to government; it's easy to pass judgement from a distance without having all the information after the fact.

The lock down and the restrictions worked, period; we've gone 54 days without communal transmission (the single case in Melbourne has come from Sydney)

What we have to consider is how many more businesses would be shut and how much more hardship would Victorians be experiencing if covid was raging through the community because government failed to act decisively ?

[/quote]

It's not my opinion. It's how things went. The virus was largely under control until the hotel quarantine debacle....and the second wave was by and large contained in Melbourne. The truck driver incident was quickly under control. That is basically how it went. There was no need to lock down the entire state, or nation, which was an over the top reaction that caused more harm than good.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
osix,

You're not understanding it. Unless an entire state was infected (didn't happen), hard border closures are irrelevant and economically damaging. The federal government health advisors didn't recommend border closures. The state governments are always in some sort of childish competition with each other - Anna "covid shamed" the southern states for their outbreaks to make herself look better, and it paid off because a majority of scared sheep fell for it and voted her back in (the handling of covid was a large consideration). She made herself look better by using the unfortunate events of others.

We've been lucky here in QLD because we did have a few people with covid returning from the southern states but they were found and isolated (two young women were fined in court for their lies about their whereabouts down south). Sounds like border fail, local isolation win to me.

Some people are always going to try and get around the system irrespective of what the rules are. Punishing a majority to catch a minority is just plain wrong.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Exactly.

Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 105 106

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (160user, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 21 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.