-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got a batch of Eastern bloc Berdan primed .30-06 and .308. Curious if anybody is doing anything with these.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I throw it in the brass bin to either be cast at a later date, or sold for scrap.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I reload mine I just remove the primer hydraulically, I do so by filling the case with water and plundge a dowel down the neck with a small hammer. Works every time I learned to do that during they anointed one tenure. There was an ammo and component shortage back then also, necessity is truely the mother of invention.

Dean

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I throw it in the brass bin to either be cast at a later date, or sold for scrap.

I'll probably throw them in the recycle bag and sell as scrap, too. With the plandemic, I'd worked down every stitch of brass I had on hand. Tumbled with stainless steel pins and either sold, traded, or kept for my own stash.

The Berdan primed cases were the last of everything I had that was unprocessed.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My uncle used to deprime them using a pick and a hammer

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've got a heap of 8x57 brass Berdan primer style, a home made hydraulic decapper (appropriately sized coach bolt with the thread cut off, and lee loader shell holder) and RWS Berdan primers but use mainly boxer primed brass these days - it's easy enough to get and easier to reload, no need to make the process more involved.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where would one get Berdan primers? I can ever recall seeing them available anywhere.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by granitestate1
I reload mine I just remove the primer hydraulically, I do so by filling the case with water and plundge a dowel down the neck with a small hammer. Works every time I learned to do that during they anointed one tenure. There was an ammo and component shortage back then also, necessity is truely the mother of invention.

Dean

I've seen that done. A guy in AK had a youtube video during the anointed one's tenure. He showed himself depriming the case as you mentioned. Primed and reloaded it. Then stuff the round in an AK and go outside and fire it off. That was with a steel case, no less. Not brass. Pretty amusing.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Where would one get Berdan primers? I can ever recall seeing them available anywhere.

Is The Old Western Scrounger still doing business?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My set up was pretty simple one of those red folgers coffee cans filled with brass and enough water in the can to just cover the brass. A shell holder that I had held in a vice, and another coffee can to put the deprimed brass in that and an old towel on the floor to catch the water. Easy as pie it's the loading that got really creative especially they AK rounds, I use to load the cases with pistol powder since I could get more rounds per pound, "remember componets were scarce" that and I did not want to use my "good rifle powder" so 10gr of pistol powder and paper towels, toilet paper, kleenex napkins, cotton balls, ect to fill the void in the case, and here's the kicker sometimes AK bullets and sometimes 303 british bullets I kid you not, a yes the good old days LOL

Dean

Last edited by granitestate1; 12/19/20.

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty darn creative, sir.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mine goes into the scrap brass bucket to subsidize the beer fund. Some reloaders use the as bullet jackets when they swage bullets.

lightman
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Trying to get an 1895 Dutch Mannlicher in 6.5x53R going I drilled the fired Berdan primer out, to .210" leaving the cylindrical portion of the primer in the case, drilled a center flash hole and seated Boxer primers in the case with the old Berdan as a "bushing". Very time consuming and annoying but at that time 6.5x53R with Boxer priming was scarce as honest lawyers. Gingerly, a couple grains at a time, I worked up to full published loads with no failures or leakage.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.