Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
At what point does runout start to impact group size? I have always pulled anything 3 thousandths or over. I am loading prairie dog rounds for the summer and had 7 rounds that were out of spec, one as much as 6 thousandths. Instead of pulling them I shot them to see what happened and they grouped the same as usual. Are there other variables that make some rifles more susceptible to concentricity issues?

------------------------
John
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watching this. I keep all of mine no more than 2.5 out of alignment.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
Watching this. I keep all of mine no more than 2.5 out of alignment.

You can watch this thread, but some things haven't changed since the 70's and bullet run-out tests are one of those things. As for accuracy/precision, its all the little things that add up. Variables that make one hell of a good shooting rifle and bullet run-out is always going to be one of those variables. If you want a great read on the subject, search out Rifle (sporting firearms journal) magazine (#58 1978). In that article, benchrest shooter Chet Brown discusses bullet run-out having a direct correlation between accuracy and precision. He proves that the less run-out you have in your loaded ammo, the less flyers and anomalies you will have in the dispersion of your group. Also, this makes a point that if you want to shoot more precisely, you need to make sure your reloading dies are adjusted to minimize TIR. I use run of the mill RCBS full length die sets that you can buy at any LGS and attain sub .002" TIR for all of my loaded ammo. Mathman has ran a lot of guys through the proper way to adjust dies to minimize run-out. There are also concentrictiy gauges and gadgets you can buy that will adjust the loaded round to the desired level of TIR. These tools are great, but I believe that the less you monkey around with pushing the bullet around in the case, the better off you will be with the end product. Learn to set your dies so you don't have to do this.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My only comment is that a lot depends on the rifle. I see loss of accuracy in my benchrest rifle if bullets if bullets are even .001 out of alignment, but in many factory big game rifles it often doesn't matter if they're .005 out.

On the other, a custom barreled big game rifle can "notice" much smaller amounts. Once had a custom 7x57 sporter (which unlike some 7x57s had a throat about as short as the 7mm-08) that I ran some experiments with using factory ammo. Bought three boxes of some Hornady Light Magnum 139-grain loads, then sorted them for run-out. Put those .003 or less in one box, those from .003-.005 in another, and those over .005 in the third box. (As I recall, none ran over .007, but it was a while ago.)

3-shot groups with the <.003 ran around half an inch, the .003-.005s around an inch, and the >.005 into about an inch and a half.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will weigh in with the historical perspective...
For 40 years, I've been hearing the number of 4 thou (.004") thrown out there as the threshold for runout before it starts to affect groups. About 20 years ago I was shown the source of that figure. A.A. Abatiello wrote an article in Rifleman discussing the work done at Frankford Arsenal by George Jacobsen. In the 1960 article "Gauging Bullet Tilt", Abatiello says the testing showed "tilt" of 2 thou or less was desirable for long range shooting. At 4 thou, the groups stopped growing and he postulated that perhaps the chamber was correcting the eccentricty at that point.
It's worthwhile noting that the testing was done with 30-06, 173gr NM ammo as provided for the National matches. Firing was done out of a Mann Fixture which is basically a bull barrel locked into a concrete fixture. The testing was done with Long Range competition (which in NRA terms is 800, 900 and 1000 yards). But IIRC the Mann testing was done at 300 yards.

Google will turn up transcribed articles (most of which were posted by a "Clark". I suspect he and our own ClarkM are one and the same). But it's worthwhile tracking down the actual article with it's illustrations and bullet plots. There is also a related article by Jacobsen that further expands the discussion.

IC B2

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ChrisF
I will weigh in with the historical perspective...

For 40 years, I've been hearing the number of 4 thou (.004") thrown out there as the threshold for runout before it starts to affect groups. About 20 years ago I was shown the source of that figure. A.A. Abatiello wrote an article in Rifleman discussing the work done at Frankford Arsenal by George Jacobsen. In the 1960 article "Gauging Bullet Tilt", Abatiello says the testing showed "tilt" of 2 thou or less was desirable for long range shooting.

The Philly PD has a rifle team and the guys at Frankford Arsenal supplied us with weapons, ammo and some very good advice. They were always there to offer help and advice.

I had never heard of runout until they brought it up during a conversation and explained it. They even gave my friend a runout gage and dial indicator they made in house. He gave it to me and I still have it and use it. It is set up to measure runout for the 30/06 and 7.62 military rounds.

I remember being told how to correct runout by putting the bullet in a 30 cal. hole in a steel block and using sideways pressure to correct the runout. It worked and I still do it on occasion.

Last edited by FWP; 12/20/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I believe MD knows already, but for those who don't I have done a similar experiment. I sorted/grouped some Lake City Match ammo by runout and got a friend who is a good trigger puller to do the shooting. He used one of his two 308 rifles, I forget which, both of which were known good shooters. I didn't tell him what he was testing, my instructions were to be as consistent as possible and don't worry about what showed on the targets. It was clear that runout mattered.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As Mule Deer suggests, small changes in the BR rifle I owned for a while can make big differences in group size--indeed in temps below about 65 degrees I never could come with any load that wasn't plumb embarrassing.

To answer the OP, in 308 length cases in hunting loads in a reasonably accurate hunting rifle much over .004 generally will see group size increase. For 30-06 length cases over .006-.007 will usually make groups larger.

But I've had exceptions both ways..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ChrisF,

Thanks for "For 40 years, I've been hearing the number of 4 thou (.004") thrown out there as the threshold for runout before it starts to affect groups. About 20 years ago I was shown the source of that figure. A.A. Abatiello wrote an article in Rifleman discussing the work done at Frankford Arsenal by George Jacobsen. In the 1960 article "Gauging Bullet Tilt", Abatiello says the testing showed "tilt" of 2 thou or less was desirable for long range shooting. At 4 thou, the groups stopped growing and he postulated that perhaps the chamber was correcting the eccentricty at that point."

I have a pretty complete collection of American Riflemans going back to around 1930, and am pretty sure I have that issue. Will look it up.

I am pretty convinced that some of today's "harder" bullets (especially monolithics) tend to straighten out ("correcting the eccentricity") when entering the rifling. However, how much this occurs depends on how well the chamber was cut, as in whether the rifling taper is even all around the throat. Which is why I suspect monolithics tend to shoot more accurately when farther from the lands. But have also seen the same thing with many of today's high-BC lead-core bullets, even in very precise custom chambers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not uber scientific but several years ago, I had a rifle I was working with that I could not get to shoot better than MOA. I felt it should have done better as I had bedded it, recut the crown, trigger work, lapped rings etc. I had done complete brass prep as well for this rifle and hand weighed every charge. Long story short, when I corrected the run out (about .007, Dang Expander ball) and had ammo running around .002 or less, groups went to sub .5 MOA. That told me that runout does matter.

As a side note, I don't understand why people try and hold .0001 when chambering a rifle barrel and having their actions blue printed and then feed them with .005 or greater runout ammo. That is like building a Top Fuel Drag car and feeding it pump gas, makes no since to me.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
pullit,

I ran into a handloader who claimed to have never checked run-out, and also claimed that all his handloads shot great.

However, I also found out his standard for "shoot great" in a big game rifle is 1-1/2 inch, 3-shot groups at 100 yards. Now, I know 1-1/2 inches will kill most big game, at most ranges, but wouldn't call 1-1/2 inches "great."

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Then there are the guys who are very particular about weighing every charge to the gnat's eyelash but have no idea about runout.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Then there are the guys who are very particular about weighing every charge to the gnat's eyelash but have no idea about runout.

I am interested in hearing about rhe die adjusting method. I usually only neck size with Lee Collet dies, and maybe I also need to check runout, then again my game shots are inside 200yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

.001 - .0015.

No data, just habit for bottleneck cartridges.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sponxx

I am interested in hearing about rhe die adjusting method. I usually only neck size with Lee Collet dies, and maybe I also need to check runout, then again my game shots are inside 200yds.

Do you mean the collet neck die?

Recap from old thread on collet die adjustment:

The first thing I recommend is to ignore the instructions supplied with the die.

The second thing I recommend is to ignore whether or not the press you're using cams over at the top of its stroke.

The die squeezes the neck onto a mandrel, so for a given neck thickness there is a finite limit to how much sizing you can achieve. This die will need adjustment to suit different thicknesses of brass.

Raise the press ram to the top of its stroke. Thread the die into the press until the bottom of the sizing collet (not the die body) just touches the shell holder. Measure the neck OD of a piece of brass.

Run the brass through the die using a full press stroke. It should take no effort since if you're set up as described the die has done no sizing. Turn the die into the press about 1/4 turn. Run the brass in again. You probably won't feel much sizing going on, but give the neck a measurement just to see. If it's still nothing, screw the die in another 1/4th and try again. You'll may start feeling a bit going on as you work the press handle, and if so you'll be able to measure a little sizing taking place.

Rinse and repeat using 1/16th turn in increments for the die. You'll feel increases in the force required for the sizing stroke. Since you're measuring the neck after each pass you'll eventually find two increments where the neck didn't get any smaller. NOW STOP TURNING THE DIE INTO THE PRESS. Remember you're squeezing the brass against a solid steel mandrel which isn't going to give, so even if the press stroke didn't feel like it took very much force the neck is as small as it's going to get.

There's a learning curve to the die, but it isn't hard.

I like to run cases through the die twice, spinning the case about 1/3 turn (rather than the 1/2 turn in the instructions) between passes. This means the parts of the neck that were under the splits in the collet fingers on the first pass will get hit on the second.

Correctly executing the set up method I outlined above makes camming over or not a moot point, and it will not even come close to popping the cap. Furthermore since the full press stroke is used every time I don't have to "judge my lean" on the handle.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pullit
As a side note, I don't understand why people try and hold .0001 when chambering a rifle barrel and having their actions blue printed and then feed them with .005 or greater runout ammo.

As in my case.......no one ever told them and you do not se much written about it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've got RCBS dies that aren't working (no doubt, due to me). Regardless of having the decapping rod tight or loose, or high up in the body, or whatever, I spend hella time correcting runout in finished rounds with a TruAngle tool.

Would it work better for me to try this:

Step 1: Deprime with Universal Decapping Die

Step 2: Size in current RCBS die with decapping/expanding rod removed

Step 3: Expand case mouths with Universal Case Expanding Die?

Or am I just a small amount of understanding away from making my current dies sing?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Plan 1: Do your steps 1 and 2. Then install the expander and push the necks over the ball to expand them, but not all the way into the die of course. Check the neck runout to see what you've got at this point. Then you'll know if your brass is sized straight.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I would not recommend that Lee die for what you mentioned. If you wish to go the expander die route then get an appropriate Lyman M-die or one of the expander dies from Sinclair or 21st Century.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the things mentioned in the Abatiello article is that when they indexed the eccentricity (high point indicated) the same for rounds with high runout, the groups got smaller. Creighton Audette demonstrated similar. Harold Vaughn wasn't able to replicate the results.

If you can't get rid of your runout, try marking the high point and load the rounds into the chamber with the high point in the same place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Ashworth, 35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.