Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My boat lives in the South Beach Marina in Newport, Oregon, from May to November. I’m in Newport now to bring her home on Monday. Since the ocean is closed to crabbing until December 1st, I have to crab in the bay. I shouldn’t complain, I got 10 yesterday and 11 today, but bay crab are a lot smaller than ocean crab. I mean a LOT smaller. I have pots soaking overnight so I might have a few more tomorrow morning. Then off to Dexter reservoir to run the salt out, and back in the barn until May.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I mean a LOT smaller.

What's legal size down your way?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
How bout some pics of this bounty? grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Q-dog (OP, in case you didn't catch the reference grin), hope you don't mind me stepping in on your thread.

MuskegMan - sporties are limited to 5-3/4" and greater, measured across the carapace just in front of the points. Commies are 6-1/4". The pic below is around 7-3/4" or so.

rong - Here's a pic of a couple of Danielson traps I dropped "inside" (meaning inside the bay) using my 18' aluminum boat at the mouth of the Columbia River a couple weeks ago. I must have dropped my three traps right on top of a huge herd of mega sized males. We can keep 12 Dungeness males, and can only fish with three traps. It was painful having to rail dump several limits. I was able to make it back out two or three more times and hit the jackpot each time. No females, no undersized. Just a 20 minute soak. (And some folks wonder why we live in Oregon? IDGAF, there's just more crab/salmon/halibut/tuna/rockfish/lingcod/clams/etc. for us dumbass Oregonians!)

I also fish the ocean out of the same port as the OP, with a 25' Grady White. Ocean crab are generally larger and more full of meat than river/bay crab, but the ocean doesn't always let us out to play.

OP - since your boat is in the barn for the winter, I'll give you a buzz next time I go ocean crabbing. I think I know how to get in touch with you. Might even still have your number from when I bought the 1894C from you a few years back. (Jeezus, has it been that long ago?)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Q-dog (OP, in case you didn't catch the reference grin), hope you don't mind me stepping in on your thread.

MuskegMan - sporties are limited to 5-3/4" and greater, measured across the carapace just in front of the points. Commies are 6-1/4". The pic below is around 7-3/4" or so.

rong - Here's a pic of a couple of Danielson traps I dropped "inside" (meaning inside the bay) using my 18' aluminum boat at the mouth of the Columbia River a couple weeks ago. I must have dropped my three traps right on top of a huge herd of mega sized males. We can keep 12 Dungeness males, and can only fish with three traps. It was painful having to rail dump several limits. I was able to make it back out two or three more times and hit the jackpot each time. No females, no undersized. Just a 20 minute soak. (And some folks wonder why we live in Oregon? IDGAF, there's just more crab/salmon/halibut/tuna/rockfish/lingcod/clams/etc. for us dumbass Oregonians!)

I also fish the ocean out of the same port as the OP, with a 25' Grady White. Ocean crab are generally larger and more full of meat than river/bay crab, but the ocean doesn't always let us out to play.

OP - since your boat is in the barn for the winter, I'll give you a buzz next time I go ocean crabbing. I think I know how to get in touch with you. Might even still have your number from when I bought the 1894C from you a few years back. (Jeezus, has it been that long ago?)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man that is badass. Blue Crabs we have on the east coast are great, but those Dungeness are just a unique culinary gift.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We are indeed fortunate.

I've never had blue crab - some day wifey and I will do some traveling around the US. Eating new stuff will be one of my main goals.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
TC,
Let me know!
I’m a couple of hours south of Portland but I’d drive a ways for 7+ inch hard crab!

Wow, it has been that long!

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Will do.

New 2021 regs are out - we can long leader for rockfish on halibut days! Fugg yeah! Make that fuel money ROI go a little bit farther. LOL

(Sorry to hijack your thread.)

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Will do.

New 2021 regs are out - we can long leader for rockfish on halibut days! Fugg yeah! Make that fuel money ROI go a little bit farther. LOL

(Sorry to hijack your thread.)

I’m gonna try the long-leader this year. Looks like a great way to load the boat.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I moved my 17 Arima to Newport, actually to a motorhome storage unit in Toledo.I can hitch up and be at the launch in 15 minutes.

My previous crabbing was in and around Juneau AK. Outside Newport is better in every way...

except last trip out....got a friendly reminder about the bar closing. ('Was on channel 20) Sure it looked tall out there.... but I had to take a peek.
Next move is to WRANGELL AK FEB 2021, getting the boat there is getting to be an expensive challenge.
Prince Rupert closed.
AK Ferry has just increased fees to unreasonable. It seems they are cutting schedules and raising fees so that maybe they just end service all together.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Uncas
I moved my 17 Arima to Newport, actually to a motorhome storage unit in Toledo.I can hitch up and be at the launch in 15 minutes.

My previous crabbing was in and around Juneau AK. Outside Newport is better in every way...

except last trip out....got a friendly reminder about the bar closing. ('Was on channel 20) Sure it looked tall out there.... but I had to take a peek.
Next move is to WRANGELL AK FEB 2021, getting the boat there is getting to be an expensive challenge.
Prince Rupert closed.
AK Ferry has just increased fees to unreasonable. It seems they are cutting schedules and raising fees so that maybe they just end service all together.

My Arima lives at South Beach Marina from May through November, C dock, slip 44. Stop by sometime and say hello.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
TC thanks for the pics,looks like a delicious way to spend the day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A few pics from this year:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.