Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Thanks for the info, gents. I've already ordered the stuff for a winch install, some LED driving and backup lights, and a few other things. Haven't decided on the roof yet but will ad one. I'll also be ordering a street legal kit for it as I registered it as an on-road vehicle.

Those street legal kits are interesting. They're allowed in many places but they don't meet the US requirements for safety testing, emissions, and all kinds of other rules that apply to cars. I'm sure that many states/towns don't allow them but I don't know where you'd look to find out which ones. I know that many of the small towns here do allow them.

Have you driven yours at top speed on a good road just to see how fast it can go? Mine has the same engine and the fastest I've ever got it was 45. It was getting pretty squirrely at 40 but it's shorter and only 50". That said, 95% of our driving is below 30mph and most of that below 20.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got several friends who run the generic UTV turn signal kits and haven't had any issues here in NM, but this state is pretty relaxed on such things.

Max speed is 45 mph, and other than the tires, it feels fine at speed. It's certainly more comfortable at 35-40 mph, though. I ride about .4 miles to the BLM road turnoff, and occasionally 2 miles on the shoulder of a 2-lane state hwy to the gas station. It's pretty common to see them out here where I live. I can access the local 'city' virtually all on dirt roads if I want, and could see us running into town to grab ice cream and gas while there. The BLM roads I take to town come out in the most popular OHV area in the northern part of the state, so SXS traffic is extremely common and they're regularly in town.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

These guys have all the stuff

DOT glass W/S.....buy once/cry once

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took it out to play in the quickly-melting snow. The new windshield makes a yuge difference in comfort...just wish it didn't rattle so much. Seems to be because of the width and lack of support in the center. I may see what I can do about that. Link to a short video of it (you'll need to turn the sound on): https://imgur.com/a/th7GyMD

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/16/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Winch and winch mount installed but not wired yet. I'm adding a second battery, turn signal kit, Blue Seas fuse box, and some other stuff so I'll do the wiring all at once. I chose the Badlands ZXR 5000 because I wanted a steel cable instead of rope, and wanted to buy it locally as dealing with an exchange on a heavy item can be a PIA when shipping. I used the SuperATV winch mount which, overall, is good. I had to enlarge the holes for their regulator bracket to make it fit, and the fairlead mount is 6" on center while the Badlands fairlead is 6.5", so that part has to wait t a bit.. It's pretty darned solid when all bolted up, and it fits perfectly behind the factory body/bumper. Looking forward to putting it to use when I get all of the electrical done.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/20/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winch and winch mount installed but not wired yet. I'm adding a second battery, turn signal kit, Blue Seas fuse box, and some other stuff so I'll do the wiring all at once. I chose the Badlands ZXR 5000 because I wanted a steel cable instead of rope, and wanted to buy it locally as dealing with an exchange on a heavy item can be a PIA when shipping. I used the SuperATV winch mount which, overall, is good. I had to enlarge the holes for their regulator bracket to make it fit, and the fairlead mount is 6" on center while the Badlands fairlead is 6.5", so that part has to wait t a bit.. It's pretty darned solid when all bolted up, and it fits perfectly behind the factory body/bumper. Looking forward to putting it to use when I get all of the electrical done.
Um, the idea is to NEVER have to use it. Other than for plowing snow, I've only needed mine once in 4 years. I talked about that on another thread. I needed it but couldn't find an anchor other than a sagebrush and it pulled that out by the roots. Before spring, I'll have invented some kind of portable anchor to haul around with me.
I prefer the rope rather than the steel cable. It looks flimsy but the dang things are strong.

About that rattling windshield - mine doesn't rattle a bit but it's on a 50". Maybe that makes a difference.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think in my circle we use the winches more for deer/elk work than 'wheelin. Most of the guys I know around here prefer cable because of the sandstone.

I haven't messed with the windshield yet but I'm going to try and slide the brackets down to put a little more downward pressure on the bottom section. If that doesn't work I'll add the center bracket/suport.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 50" version doesn't have a center support. That's probably why they added it on yours.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

don't bring that Limo here to this 50" trail

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut

don't bring that Limo here to this 50" trail

A helmet cam messes with the perspective on how steep a trail is but as for rocks, etc., my wife and I have had our 50" Razor on worse trails than that many times. A 60" 4 seater? Um, no. We have hundreds of miles of 50" trails around here. We have a ball driving them. A lot of miles of them are in hunting unit 54 in so. central ID. It all burned off this summer so it's going to be interesting to see what it's all like now.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The 50" version doesn't have a center support. That's probably why they added it on yours.

Hey RC, it didn't come with a center support, I'm just thinking about making one. I spent a bunch of time adjusting everything earlier and it's a lot better now, but will still rattle on the rougher stuff.

Tikka, that trail looks fun, but I'm under no illusion about the limitations of a Ranger Crew. A 2-seater trail rig may be in the cards down the road.

Went exploring the backroads this afternoon with the wife and daughter #2 and had a ball! hit some great sand washes that still had a little snow in them and that was a good time. This rig is a pretty good fit for what we need right now.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 12/20/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is the bottom piece rattling against the body? I looked at mine and can't see anything else that would rattle. The rubber molding is tight against the body. If I had that problem, I'd try cramming a piece of ensolite foam under it before I got too fancy.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No, it doesn't appear to be the bottom section. I believe it's flex in the center which causes the outside edges to rattle against each other. I'll wedge a piece of minicell foam under the bottom center before my next ride and see if it makes a difference.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I looked at mine again in better light and I can see that the latch slightly bows the top section so the outside corners could rattle against the bottom section. I don't have a problem but I can see that you might. Try putting some foam backed tape in the track where the section meet.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There's already a rubber strip between the top and bottom sections but it doesn't prevent the rattling. I tried the foam block under the center of the bottom section, and while it helped, it didn't cure it totally. I'll try wedges on the outside corners next.

Found a decent ATV trail that's part of the BLM system today; about 4 miles from the house. Here's a short clip: https://imgur.com/20XBAAS

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was thinking more like 1/4 to 1/2" thick, like foam insulation tape.

Last week we had several inches of snow and I put the snowplow on mine. Today it was almost 60 and would have been a beautiful day for 4 wheeling - minus the snowplow. We're leaving for NM on Wed for a week. It'll probably be too cold for trail riding when we get back. It only takes a minute to take the plow off but the mount hangs down a couple inches. It makes a big difference in clearance for rocks. In the spring I'll take the mount off for the summer. That takes a lot longer.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have the same machine but not the Crew version. Good UTV. We put a set of soft doors and front/rear glass windshields

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.