Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just curious to hear from those of you that have tried Sitka and I’m really only interested in their waterfowl line as that’s primarily the only hunting I have time for now. Is it worth the extra $? If so, how? Anyone tried it and not been pleased with it?
I've been fairly pleased with Drake and other brands for years, but several of my buddies have slowly switched to Sitka and seem to love it. I'm interested in any input.

Last edited by CrazyCoot; 12/21/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not really. I belong to Shed and get it for 60% off and can tell you that there are other options. If you can swing a pro deal for Simms than do that. I like the cut of Simms stuff better than either Drake or Sitka Waterfowl. Most of this stuff is incredibly expensive if you are buying it at retail. Sitka recently came out against ANWR like a bunch of folks who have no idea that the ANWR development is right near Kaktovik and poses 0% absolutely 0% risk to the Porcupine caribou herd or anything else. Now its time for the snob in me to show. I would have a custom outfit done by Apocalypse Design and then forget about it because it would last you about 100 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheap camo and face paint

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Saw they have a blaze orange vest for a cool hundo. Nothing special, just an orange vest with two pockets. $100 bucks. I suppose if it comes with that bitchin' window decal it's worth it. People have to know you're a Baller.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
if you can wait 3 months and get it 50 to 60 per cent off. Good gear but not worth full price

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Over priced as chit.

Just paying for a fancy logo you can flash on your back window.

Last edited by duck911; 12/21/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't even consider purchasing new Sitka gear with their anti-energy stance.

Screw those activists.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by broomd
Wouldn't even consider purchasing new Sitka gear with their anti-energy stance.

Screw those activists.

Yep.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Only if yer ghey

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good stuff, way over priced, and made in china......

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Status.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
its proven for me so far, going on 4 years now....at 40% off, its a good buy, but not at full price. Can't wait for the Mossy Oak and RealTree crowd to chime in.......Yeah, looking like a 'tree' is cool. Same comment on the stickers in the back window. SMH.
The waterfowl gear is waterproof and warm. Get it on sale and you will be satisfied. For me, the Drake gear fits kinda like a 'box' and I am not box shaped.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my friends is a waterfowl FREAK and has an income level that allows him to throw a set of sitka away every time he craps, he loves the stuff.

If one wants the best rain gear I suggest looking hard at kryptek takur. If it is a one stop waterfowl only sitka is a good compromise for a terrible price.... and you have that whole political issue to sleep with.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I mix and match. It's hard to beat Simms G3 line for heavy duty waterproof stuff. I like Sitka gloves, mid and base layers. Kuiu attack pants for just about anything, including under waders if it's not freezing.

------------------------
John
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Their gradient pants are designed to be worn under waders. I don’t waterfowl hunt but use them as a heavy base layer and they’re great. I paid less than 1/3 msrp ($179 😳) though, so they're great at that price. Wouldn’t dream of paying over $75 for them.

Fear the crabcat.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's good stuff.

Is it worth the price? Depends on your position in life.

For me, it's not the money question. I've spent a boatload of money on hunting and fishing. Never really regretted any of it. At this point, we don't get much cold weather any more, so I don't need a primaloft jacket. I wish I did, so I could see hundreds of thousands of ducks fill the sky again.

In ND, in a layout blind when it's 5 degrees and the wind is blowing 20 mph, you'd give a lot of money for it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Opinions on products range between those who can afford it, pay full price & give it a reasonable & honest evaluation vs those who think there are always better-because-it’s-cheaper options. You’ll hear folks opine on Cabela’s this or that, Browning this or that, King of the Mountain, et cetera.

I had the same question as you just three months ago. So, I dove in. I paid full price for the Equinox Elevated II hoodie fleece jacket, Equinox pants, Traverse midweight fleece base layer, Traverse fleece zip-T, gloves & balaclava. I went to Utah last week to visit my children for the holidays. Took all my new stuff to proof test as I live on the Gulf Coast where the temperature barely exceeds tolerable limits more than a few times per year. Utah weather was snow, 16°-26°. We awoke to several inches of snow everywhere. We all suited up, went down to the city park & romped for about 4 hours non-stop. My base layer was 100% polyester long johns which I got from Amazon for $14, top & bottom. I wore my Magellan nylon pants outer layer for wind & snow resistance. I donned the Traverse Zip T & Equinox hoodie fleece jacket. Top layer was my old faithful Browning Hydro Fleece GoreTex parka without its cold weather liner. We played in the snow the entire 4 or so hours wearing my Sitka uninsulated gloves, Muck boots & Darn Tough wool socks.

At no time did I ever feel cold or wet. We threw snowballs, built snow men & I simply stood static for over two hours. It snowed moderately to heavy all day. At one point near the end of our time there I was curious how the snow was interacting with my Browning parka, so I removed my gloves from my perfectly warm hands & ran my fingers down my coat sleeve to find it was soaking wet all over. This really intrigued me given that I was very warm & dry inside it. Once home a few minutes later, I removed the coat & it was soaking wet all over. Inside was dry as could be. I have had this Browning coat since 2003 & it is my only cold weather hunting coat. So, don’t think it hasn’t been used.

The Sitka gear performed admirably. It worked as advertised. I did realize that my polyester long johns were great, negating the need for a more expensive base layer of, say Sitka, Under Armour, et al. The other Sitka stuff was great & I’d buy it again albeit at discount prices once I determined what worked. The only way to do so is to buy it new so you can get what you think you need. This honest & expensive test run taught me what I needed to know. The Sitka material allowed each layer to move frictionless over the next, not bunching up during articulation throughout the day. The material is a weave of fabrics, one of which is a certain measure of GoreTex, which allowed enough water resistance to avoid breeching to the under layers.

I believe, after this assessment, the important determination is to find the best materials that work for you. I spent money in 2018 on SmartWool base layers. But, the moths wore it before I did. Keeping the moths at bay is not impossible, but requires more effort than I am willing to make. Wool will keep you warm even when damp. For that reason, I love my Darn Tough socks! Other than that, wool is out for me.

For my warmth I find polyester is my best go-to. It is warming & relatively inexpensive by comparison. Staying warm is best accomplished by layering. Thus, finding the best layering system will get you ahead of the “fowl weather” game. The Sitka line of waterfowl gear is highly praised by those who use it. There is a fellow on You Tube that does unbiased videos on all of the Sitka line-up. His channel is “Field Series Review”. His input helped me to decide.

Again, decide on materials over vendors. Choose what garments meet your prospective needs. I went for slimmer profile garments vs. Frosty the Snowman apparel. Got tired of the inability to move once I was suited up. With the polyester base layer, Sitka Traverse fleeced mid layer, Equinox fleece hooded jacket & Browning parka I covered all my bases.

Want more input? P.M. me.

Doug

Post Script:
I waited until Sitka choices populated Amazon. I wanted to test this stuff for fit from a vendor with a generous return policy.

Last edited by Reloder28; 12/22/20.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by duck911
Over priced as chit.

Just paying for a fancy logo you can flash on your back window.

Friend of mine has some Sitka stuff. He would agree with you. It’s way over priced.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From a outfitters prospective that's spent many years working both NW Montana and Alaska I've found this type of gear incredibly useful.
What ever the year and what ever the most recent and most costly of outdoor related garments might be was what my clients would be wearing as they got off their flights.

Always made it easy to pick them out of the crowds.

Then there was those Northeastern types that would be wearing florescent orange when they traveled......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.