Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I grew up in Bozeman, and it was different then--around 12,000 people-, instead of a "metropolitan area" about 10 times as large. Am very familiar with Alder, since my father and his brother founded and ran the Virginia City Players for many years. I worked for the theater during summer as teenager, mostly doing grunt work, partly because I could walk outside of town in 2 minutes and start hunting with my .22.

Am now 70 miles away from Bozeman. Moved here 30 years ago when it was still really rural, and helped establish the local range. Even though the range is between Bozeman and Helena, it gets a LOT of use due to the area growing so much in recent years.. In fact what used to be just a "club" range now regularly hosts shoots that have people coming from several surrounding states. It was expanded to 1000+ yards a few years ago, with around 20 concrete benches.

Am also somewhat familiar with your area of Colorado. Hunted northwest of Craig for mule deer with a friend close to 20 years ago, and got an ancient, heavy-antlered 3x3, and my partner got a very good typical 4x4. Great country, and am glad to hear it's still pretty rural. Dunno what we're gonna do with the recent vast "Californication" of this part of Montana. Thought we were too far from the Bozone to get invaded, but might have to sell out and head farther east.

I hate to even go to Bozeman now. Moved away from Ennis in '97 and the only place I stop now is Shedhorn to see Rob (we were EMT's on the Ennis ambulance together) and stock up on reloading supplies. It's all changed so much, even Alder is californicated.

I remember Judith Furee (sp) singing Mule Train 😂😂

RJ

Last edited by recoiljunky; 12/21/20.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, we go to Bozeman as little possible anymore. Used to go there regularly to get slide film developed, but switched to digital around 2004--about the time Bozeman started being a PITA to get around in.

Did go with my brother when he visited a couple years ago, just to show him the changes--such as traffic lights every mile all the way out to Four Corners!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a buddy that does the shoot once adjust the scope shoot again and just keeps shooting. I leave him alone he looks so happy doing it. I saw a guy few weeks ago sighting his rifle in and barrel sitting on his shooting bag. At one point he swapped scopes, he was an older guy so he knew what he was doing. Seen the rolled up jacket for a shooting rest. I just about seen it all just like muledeer. The best one was in Colorado guy sighting in his new rifle, instead of sitting in the chair he kneels on it and using his memory foam pillow rest. He touched one off, I never seen so much blood that dude scoped himself bad and he was bleeding everywhere lol. Another time guys just came from the gunshow bought one of them osprey scopes 5 rounds into it the glass fell out of it...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great read. Thanks for everyone's part in this column.
I guess you could call it that.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Try myself never to give unasked for advice on a range unless it s a safety issue. First of all you don't even know whether shooter has any ability. Second it is alot easier to help a woman than some guy, women generally never assume they are a direct descendant of Daniel Boone like guys do.
Some polite help goes farther with them than a guy. Best advice is to find a place to shoot by yourself. ...mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 12/13/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I sight in at lease, hate the noise at gun ranges.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I stopped going to the county range regularly a couple years ago. Seems like every time I went other than our Monday morning bunch, there is some Jaba the Hut dude there with a 30-378 with a brake defeating everyone’s double hearing protection or the skinny jeans crowd banging away incessantly with their ARs also equipped with brakes. (Sigh)

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Many, many years ago I used to take a roll of "mad money" to the range with me, especially as hunting season approached. Now the "mad money" was not about me; instead it was intended to be used for the once-a-year shooter who got mad at their rifle and was ready to unload it right there, right now.

This was in fact how my custom .30-06 was born 22+ years ago. This fellow showed up at the range in business casual dress - docker slacks, loafers, etc. - lugging a new rifle box with him. Now those kind of folks always made me nervous and I always hoped they'd park themselves at the other end of the firing line from me. But this time he hit the brakes 2 benches from mine and in the end it worked out to my advantage.

I make it a point to mind my own business, but his anger and cussing was getting to a point where it was in my best interest to start paying attention. And then I saw it. He had a brand spankin' new M70 featherweight on the bags and 1 box of Winchester ammo next to it, probably because the rifle was a Winchester too.

I said to him from 2 benches down "You realize that rifle is supposed to have a scope on it, cuz there ain't no iron sights on the rifle and that's why there's no holes in your target".
"WHAAT?" "the guy didn't sell me the scope to go with this rifle!" I asked him where did he buy the rifle? "Walmart" "Well, perhaps you should go back there and get a scope and rings for the rifle. Don't forget the bases too." He was not having any of that, and that is when I made an cash offer to make his problems go away.

When I got back to the shack I called Rick the gunsmith and told him I had the donor action for the project. Rick looked over the rifle and bought both the stock and the barrel for other customers of his. I tossed in the Winchester box of remaining ammo gratis.

I stopped a long time ago going to the range on weekends and during sight-in season. Too many heart palpitations involved.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This year, our sighting in before rifle season and our taking our deer required a total of two shots each. The first one for each of us was to validate that our zero from last year with the same ammo was still good. This resulted in our two bullet holes touching in a figure 8 that was1.5" above dead center at 100 yds with hers being 1/4" left and mine just on the outside edge of that. Our second shots both came on opening day. She shot a nice 10 pointer at 220 yds and I took a 12 pointer at about 110 yds. It's nice to have decent equipment and to have results like that. Good guns, good scopes, good shooting rests make a lot of difference.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Good thread! Out the truck window produces decent groups, in a pinch! Lol

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Firstr time I've heard of that. I start at 25yds and fire one shot. Then re-aim on the aiming point and move the cross wires to the bullet hole. next shot is at 100yds and again move the cross wires to the aiming point. Third shot normally very close to the aiming point and final adjustment made. If I remember I'm gonna try that 50 yd deal next time I have a scope to sight in. Old gunsmith named Dingman In Independence, Ore taught me my way about 1963. Doing like Mr Dingman told me worked really well for a long time, normally three shots and I'm there!

Last edited by DonFischer; 04/13/23.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If it's a rifle where I can pull the bolt and look through the bore I start by bore sighting at 100 yards. The first round typically lands a very few inches from center.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Reading through this, I’m reminded how fortunate I am to have a good place to shoot. Our club has rifle range out to 800 yards and going to 1000 soon; ten pistol bays and a 50 yard multi purpose bay. It’s strictly a rifle and pistol club, gate access by chipped card and safety is stressed. Everybody knows the rules. Usually, week days, there are only a few of us out there. I have never, in the 3 years I’ve belonged, had a bad experience or even something to just leave me shaking my head.

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It's approaching that time of year where I go to 'help' my brother 'sight-in' his rifle for his next big-ticket elk hunt.

It used to be I'd go all-eager to help my brother improve on his shooting skills, however eventually learning the tips I'd pass to him would never seem to take. The same tips would have to be offered season after season after season, ending only in my frustration.

Then it hit me; he 'aint gonna learn, so just make it a fun time, nodding my head at the appropriate times, and wait for him to burn through the single box of ammo he bought on sale the night before.

Since over the years I've learned it takes him on average 5 shots to finally finish off the poor elk he's selected, the only true wisdom I've been able to pass on to him is to suggest he take 10 rounds with him.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

496 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,369
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.