Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Was looking over a Kurt Jaeger Mauser in 30 06 tonight. Commercial 98 no thumb cut receiver wall. Iron sights but the stock was a Monte Carlo with a thumb cut. Tending to think it may not be original to the rifle although advertised as such. Has been in this shop for over 5 years at 999. Now cut to 699. Nice trim little thing. Can anyone comment from experience on the workmanship of the two via comparison? My working presumption, which may be wrong, is the two were Uncle and nephew. No?

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by bluefish; 12/22/20.

The way life should be.
GB1

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul owned a shop in Jenkintown, PA. I never heard of Kurt.

Paul had a nephew name Dieter. After Paul passed Dieter moved the business down south. I think he became associated with Dunn's.

Paul's work was some of the finest out there and I'd suspect Dieter's work would have been right up there with Paul's.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There was a Kurt Jaeger in West Germany who was associated with the American gun clubs around Wiesbaden and Mainz after WW2.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by FWP
Paul owned a shop in Jenkintown, PA. I never heard of Kurt.

Paul had a nephew name Dieter. After Paul passed Dieter moved the business down south. I think he became associated with Dunn's.

Paul's work was some of the finest out there and I'd suspect Dieter's work would have been right up there with Paul's.

Paul's nephew was named Dietrich Apel. When I met him he was running NECG in southern New Hampshire. He retired from there about
25 years ago. Never heard of Kurt.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had a Kurt Jaeger Mauser in the classifieds a while back. If you google him you will find some information about him and the Wiesbaden gun club. My rifle is marked Mainz though. I believe Kurt and Paul are related. Cousins or perhaps brothers. Kurt Jaeger was a master engraver and most of his work is highly embellished. Usually wood that is carved, ivory diamond inlays and heavily engraved metal work. The rifle I have is very plain, or normal rifle like with a nice trim stock and nice bluing.

IC B2

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Savuti
Paul's nephew was named Dietrich Apel. When I met him he was running NECG in southern New Hampshire. He retired from there about
25 years ago. Never heard of Kurt.

Yes! That was him. I forgot Dietrich's last name. It was a long time ago.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
This is all the same family. Dietrich came to the US and went to work for Ruger, later to start NECG. He worked for Kurt in Germany before coming to the US. So my earlier hunch would be correct that Paul and Kurt are brothers.

Last edited by misplacedinnebraska; 12/23/20.
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by misplacedinnebraska
This is all the same family. Dietrich came to the US and went to work for Ruger, later to start NECG. He worked for Kurt in Germany before coming to the US. So my earlier hunch would be correct that Paul and Kurt are brothers.

He did work for Paul in Jenkintown. I met him there a few times.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I’m sure he did. Would have been neat to see the shop back in the day. I’m just reading from a website called German hunting guns the site includes Apels obituary and infomation about Paul, Kurt and their father. Paul was born in New York but their father moved the family back to Germany, but Paul came back to the states in the twenties. He was a citizen after all. There are some pictures too

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Check out the rifle I had posted on the classified. It would at least provide some reference for their work. I think being near the air base and seeing different levels of engraving in everything imaginable I suspect the Kurt Jaeger crew worked on whatever the service member could dream up.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When my Father worked for the USAF from 1947 thru 1967, he regularly took American made rifles to Germany and Austria to be engraved and restocked because Europe are still rising from the ashes of WW2 and fine craftsmanship could be purchased for a small fraction of what comparable work done in the U.S. would have cost.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
There was a Kurt Jaeger in West Germany who was associated with the American gun clubs around Wiesbaden and Mainz after WW2.

If he did drillings then I believe I previously owned one of his pieces.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.