Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I pm'd you back, Tim.. I was interested in #6 like Timber...orange G10, if possible. Thanks

Last edited by LEADMINER; 12/31/20.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
UPDATE
So I ended up with about 40 blades for this grind/heat treat.

I am going to do them in two batches right back to back.

The blade blanks are flat surface ground.
I have started drilling holes in the handles for the first half. I will grind the bevels next and send to heat treat.

While those are out, I will drill and grind the second half and send them to heat treat.
Most of the blades with guards will be in the second half. I fit and drill the guards prior to heat treat.

I hope to be starting to assemble some by Feb and then make sheaths.
For the 24HR customers there could be some ready for shipment by end of Feb and all done hopefully by end of March.
Or so.......

The garage is cold and I am retired.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
sounds like a LOT of work Tim!

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Tim, I didn't realize that boning design had taken off, glad to see it's working for so many others.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
Yeah there is some calling for it. Thanks for planting the seed.
This will be the third steel I made it with. 154CM and S30V previously

The first couple I did were a little larger and per your request I trimmed it down some.

I have the set of boner and bnt that you made a double sheath for. Finally had to replace
the mountain mahogany on the boner. My repair to the wood cracking did not last during use
on a doe I shot this year. I like the mountain mahogany you gave me and also like desert
ironwood, but they sure do have some structural issues to go along with the age and twisted grain.

Good to hear from you.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, that mountain mahogany is not a good handle material but it took years to learn that. The wood is holding up on our everyday kitchen knives but I used the straight grain pieces and they are without character. I was always embarrassed by my sheath work and it's not much better now.

I'm headed on a high fence cow elk harvest next week. I'll carry along those two knives you handled with my elk antler although I'm just along as an observer. I plan to guide there next fall.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hmmmmm.
High fence and guide. Sounds like an oxymoron

Just kidding. That is a long way from your way back in excursions.
But there are those who can use your help I am sure.

Albert Einstein

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hunted high fenced areas that were 17000 acres. I don't think the fence mattered. And then I've hunted Idaho's backcountry where you were guaranteed game once you reached the spot.

And probably my best example was when hunting Kyrgyzstan and asked if I wanted to add a Marco Polo sheep. Master hunter said they were easy, we could get a good one in a single day of hunting. All of the sheep lived on the same mountain, we could see the mountain and it wasn't that big, you know sort of like them being fenced in. They kept lowering their price and stopped at $14k which is a screaming deal for one but still far more than I was willing to spend. I still agree with my decision to pass on one.

Last edited by Boise; 01/10/21.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, 17000 acres would not seem like a high fence.
Every once in a while I drive past one here in MI that is not even 100 acres of hunting area.
It is that sort of thing that I think of when high fence hunting is mentioned.

I have some of the blades in S35VN out for heat treat. I did the ones without guards first.
I am now pre-fitting the guards, then grind the blade bevels, then off to heat treat also.

Got a touch of a cold or ??? and the garage is darn cold, so slowed up a bit.

Albert Einstein

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have some of the blades back from heat treat.

Starting to work on final grinds and handles.

Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good to hear...anxiously waiting! smile

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I sharpened one of the S35VN blades today. It took a very nice and sharp edge quite
easily. I have not done any cutting yet to see how well it holds that edge, but certainly
looking good so far.

I will be passing a couple knives to Doug for sheaths today, so some will be ready to ship
later this month and I will keep the process going. Damned cold in the garage, so work a little
and warm a bunch and repeat.

PS: I have pic of some of the first blades ready for assembly if someone wants to get the pic
in a message and post it here.

Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 02/09/21.

Albert Einstein

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
send it to me Tim

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/09/21.

Sam......

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Those are looking good
Thanks for posting progress pictures

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Good deal. Post some more pics if you can.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks to Mannlicher for posting the pic for me.

This is the first half batch to heat treat. Smaller blades and without applied guards.

Rest are out to Bos HT now.

Thanks All
Tim

Albert Einstein

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
What was the turn around time and what hardness did you ask for? I have two batches enroute to him now.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Usually have them back within 3 weeks of day shipped to him.
I ship Priority both ways.
I asked for 61 Rc.. Final reading about 60.6 Rc on first ones back which are
taking and holding a real nice edge for me.

Albert Einstein

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Interested in the number 3 and number 8. Could you please PM me the prices?
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like a 5 inch skinner will be coming my way.
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.