-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone remember the little card you filled out at the PO on your 18th birthday?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Old Coot,

Put yer crack pipe down. I told you that stuff was bad. Now get your face shield and pink Taurus 380 , then hide under the wardrobe. LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jmh3
A per gun tax will not survive a Supreme Court challenge. This type of tax is easily distinguishable from the Obamacare tax. In the Obamacare opinion the court relied on the fact that the tax was income based and also small in comparison to the cost of insurance or healthcare and therefore not a penalty. Healthcare also isn’t a constitutional right. The conservative justices have more than enough room to distinguish the two.

Whether it was income based or not doesn’t hold much water when one considers that most all irs taxes are income based, small or large.

A tax is a tax and congress has the power to tax. The president has the power to institute specific tax modifications via the Treasury.

Whether our scotus remains “conservative biased “ even in the relative short term remains very clouded if the democrats win AND we lose the senate.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Old Coot,

Put yer crack pipe down. I told you that stuff was bad. Now get your face shield and pink Taurus 380 , then hide under the wardrobe. LOL

Where ya been Flave?

I tested positive 3 times, btw.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Get caught in a traffic stop in MANY states right now and with a gun in your possession and see what happens.
What states would those be ? I was stopped by state troopers here just a few years ago with a rifle right next to me stuck muzzle down between the split bench seats. Trooper never said a word about it until after he checked my license and registration. Then he asked if I'd had any luck hunting. We chatted a bit about that and I was on my way. He never said a thing about the rifle, though it was in plain sight the whole time.

How about a handgun?
How an cross into New Jersey?
Don't know, never been stopped with a handgun in plain sight. I'm sure they'd want to see your permit. Don't know anything about NJ. I have no reason to go so stay out of that shyt hole.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
Anyone remember the little card you filled out at the PO on your 18th birthday?

My lottery number was 16.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Get caught in a traffic stop in MANY states right now and with a gun in your possession and see what happens.
What states would those be ? I was stopped by state troopers here just a few years ago with a rifle right next to me stuck muzzle down between the split bench seats. Trooper never said a word about it until after he checked my license and registration. Then he asked if I'd had any luck hunting. We chatted a bit about that and I was on my way. He never said a thing about the rifle, though it was in plain sight the whole time.

How about a handgun?
Don't know, never been stopped with a handgun in plain sight. I'm sure they'd want to see your permit. Don't know anything about NJ. I have no reason to go so stay out of that shyt hole.

Yes. Your permit.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

How about a handgun?

Yes. Your permit.

Toot has to get a permit from his boyfriend to do something masculine. LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A per gun tax will not survive a Supreme Court challenge. This type of tax is easily distinguishable from the Obamacare tax. In the Obamacare opinion the court relied on the fact that the tax was income based and also small in comparison to the cost of insurance or healthcare and therefore not a penalty. Healthcare also isn’t a constitutional right. The conservative justices have more than enough room to distinguish the two.

Whether it was income based or not doesn’t hold much water when one considers that most all irs taxes are income based, small or large.

A tax is a tax and congress has the power to tax. The president has the power to institute specific tax modifications via the Treasury.

Whether our scotus remains “conservative biased “ even in the relative short term remains very clouded if the democrats win AND we lose the senate.

From the Robert’s Opinion:

We have nonetheless maintained that “ ‘there comes a time in the extension of the penalizing features of the so-called tax when it loses its character as such and becomes a mere penalty with the characteristics of regulation and punishment.’

Congress’s ability to use its taxing power to influence conduct is not without limits. A few of our cases policed these limits aggressively, invalidating punitive exactions obviously designed to regulate behavior otherwise regarded at the time as beyond federal authority.

The argument will be that prohibiting ownership of firearms is beyond federal authority (2nd Amendment), so taxing ownership to an extent that it prohibits ownership is also unconstitutional. This is a whole different argument than a cigarette or gas tax.

------------------------
John
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

How about a handgun?

Yes. Your permit.

Toot has to get a permit from his boyfriend to do something masculine. LOL

To do something to you, Flave!

Try to moderate the bottle so that we can continue this dialogue.
Please.
Thanks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.americanheritage.com/battle-athens

This is the reason, and it proves ordinary Citizens can take on an tyrannical. corrupt government.

Regulated meant practiced and having efficiency with...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

We have nonetheless maintained that “ ‘there comes a time in the extension of the penalizing features of the so-called tax when it loses its character as such and becomes a mere penalty with the characteristics of regulation and punishment.’

Congress’s ability to use its taxing power to influence conduct is not without limits. A few of our cases policed these limits aggressively, invalidating punitive exactions obviously designed to regulate behavior otherwise regarded at the time as beyond federal authority.

The argument will be that prohibiting ownership of firearms is beyond federal authority (2nd Amendment), so taxing ownership to an extent that it prohibits ownership is also unconstitutional. This is a whole different argument than a cigarette or gas tax.

I’m hopeful that you are right but hope isn’t much of a plan if the composition of the scotus is altered.

Another concern is both Thomas and Breyer retiring and the Biden political family installing 2 more liberals to the Court and how their interpretations would be handed down.

Or if such a tax was imposed and the scotus refused to hear the arguments like they did with the New York gun laws.

Last edited by Old_Toot; 12/23/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I’m hopeful that you are right but hope isn’t much of a plan if the composition of the scotus is altered.

Another concern is both Thomas and Breyer retiring and the Biden political family installing 2 more liberals to the Court and how their interpretations would be handed down.

Or if such a tax was imposed and the scotus refused to hear the arguments like they did with the New York gun laws.

I’m really hoping that the Court’s recent actions are self preservation and that when the election is over the justices will act like they have throughout their careers on the lower courts.

------------------------
John
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I’m really hoping that the Court’s recent actions are self preservation and that when the election is over the justices will act like they have throughout their careers on the lower courts.

I’m thinking that we’ll know fairly soon.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

“I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians.” – George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment.

“A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves.” – Richard Henry Lee.

“And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams.

“Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

“Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?” – Patrick Henry.

“The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.” – Alexander Hamilton.

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

“To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them.” – George Mason.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.” – Noah Webster.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin.

“A free people ought to be armed.” – George Washington.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson.

“The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” – George Washington.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Correct dictionary definitions of the words and phrases , as used by the founding fathers at the time of the adoption of the "Bill of Rights".

A well ______________________________(successful or effective)
regulated _____________________________(accurate and properly functioning)
Militia______________________________( Every able bodied man between the ages of 17 and 60 who has not been adjudicated mentally ill or convicted of a capital or infamous crime, who has at least 2 front teeth and a trigger finger.)

being necessary________________________( Vital and indispensable)
to the security__________________________(Freedom from risk or danger; safety)
of a free______________________________( Not imprisoned or enslaved; being at liberty. Not controlled by obligation or the will of another
State,__________________________________(the condition or circumstances of a person or thing, a sovereign political power or community, the territory of such a community)

the right _______________________________(a freedom or power that is morally or legally due to a citizen. God Given. Not a privilege which can be revoked, but a condition that can not be lawfully taken away for any reason by another, and can only be surrendered by the holder for the cause of free will, as a sacrifice. A citizen can be deprived of rights criminally by act of infringement by another citizens or official, which would not constitute a waver of rights, but such acts are the very essence of base vulgarity and crime. The state of liberty therefore can be surrendered, the citizen stepping out from under the protection of law, and in fact giving the rights up, but the act of attempting to deprive another of a right or set of rights is unlawful in every instance. )

of the people__________________________( the body politic of the nation. Individual person. All the common men women and children ,all and in singular. The same context as used in the 1st, 2nd, 4th 5th 9th and 10th amendments and implied in the 6th 7th and 8th)*

to keep ______________________________(To retain personal possession, have a supply of, or to maintain for use or service.)
and bear ______________________________(To carry from one place to another; transport at will, unrestrained .)
Arms________________________________ (weapons that can be man packed by 4 men or fewer. Any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting in a military action.
shall not be infringed.____________________(To transgress, violate, defeat, invalidate or encroach on someone or something in any way shape form or manor.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by szihn

“I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians.” – George Mason, co-author of the 2nd Amendment.

“A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves.” – Richard Henry Lee.

“And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams.

“Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence.” – George Washington

“Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?” – Patrick Henry.

“The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.” – Alexander Hamilton.

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

“To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them.” – George Mason.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe.” – Noah Webster.

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin.

“A free people ought to be armed.” – George Washington.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson.

“The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that’s good.” – George Washington.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
- Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
- James Madison

History versus the realities of today’s world in the USA.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Legal niceties notwithstanding, the Founders were all traitors and knew that either "we hang together or we hang separately."

I don't remember the part where they consulted attorneys to determine the legality of their actions or petitioned SCOTUS for standing before the band of farmers and their neighbors assembled on the Concord Commons on 19 April 1775 and waited for the British Regulars who were marching to confiscate their lead and powder.

Did I get that bit of US history wrong or were Men made of sterner stuff 245 years ago? Maybe they ate real sugar in those days instead of artificial sweeteners?

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 12/23/20. Reason: correction

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Old Coot,

Where ya been Flave?

I tested positive 3 times, btw.

Which STD?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
The real issue comes from the 18th century meaning of well regulated. it meant skilled, not tightly controlled, but just try to educate the liberal twits of that.

+1

Language evolves with time, so today, we have to look back how words were used then and meanings as intended. This is the fight that is a constant battle in interpreting the Constitution.

"Originalists" stick with what was meant and intended at the time it is written, which is how all laws are supposed to be interpreted and applied.

The older meaning of to regulate still is used with respect to building double barrel rifles, which have to be "regulated." The barrels are tested and adjusted until the two barrels both go to the same point of aim.

Here is Daniel Webster's definition of "to regulate" from the first dictionary of American language in 1828.

REG'ULATE, verb transitive

1. To adjust by rule, method or established mode; as, to regulate weights and measures; to regulate the assize of bread; to regulate our moral conduct by the laws of God and of society; to regulate our manners by the customary forms.

2. To put in good order; as, to regulate the disordered state of a nation or its finances.

3. To subject to rules or restrictions; as, to regulate trade; to regulate diet.

http://webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/regulate

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.