https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887776899

Don’t see these everyday.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
My gosh! Rifle with Identity crisis! The barrel purports "Super Express", bottom metal "Custom Super", box "Custom Super Grade! The serial number would also tend to falsely suggest produced 1991. These heavy chamberings were introduced in the "Super Express" which intro'ed in the 1993-94 period. Of course as Custom Shop, supposing it could be anything. Still... Nomenclature continuity to be expected and would seem nice! As Custom Shop, this rifle should have had a CS provenance Letter of authenticity! None, the less, surely genuine! My own specimen in 415 Rem, non-CS, includes deluxe swivels the referenced specimen appears to lack!

Would be fun to own. Definitely not to shoot. Kynoch mad ammo for some time, but over $10 a round, not good for plinking! Of course the human shoulder also not good for that in this chambering! Heaviest game in my 'hood', coyotes. Unless counting the big mamma Marine Tanks some few miles away!

This rifle doesn't seem a bad price opening price. Interesting to know what it goes for. I'd bet north of $3K minimally!

Best & Happy Holidays!
John

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There were bore size issues with Winchester's 470 Capstick rifles.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Can't open the link, is it one of the Big Five set that Winchester produced in the late '90s?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by duckster
Can't open the link, is it one of the Big Five set that Winchester produced in the late '90s?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887776899

I've re posted the link. Works for me.

That would be a good question for the seller, who seems to have all the GB credentials.

DF

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I didn't have problems with the initial link. Don't know whether these rifles were in the "magnificent five" (my term), but they were offered separately. A 'fun gun' for the 'mine is bigger than yours' crowd. Beyond... Practicality; very limited audience.
Biebs, can you please be more specific about "bore issues". I wouldn't have paid too much attention to this chambering, but always interested in any such Winchester complaint as a general issue. I don't know that this chambering was ever cataloged... Was it? From Custom Shop perspective, more likely that than cataloged - at least very long. There used to be the "stocking dealers" who agreed to to stock certain predetermined models. Sometimes including slow merchandise. Such in exchange for certain 'privileged' status. Beyond the whoop-de-doo of CS, the reality that sometimes components in factory inventory needing to be moved. Such as barrels, marked & chambered, pushed out by CS hype. As I'd inferred above, "Super" anything, the rifle as set forth, doesn't impress me! Excepting chambering, pretty ordinary!
Just my take
Best, Stay Safe & Happy Holidays!
John

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Buddy of mine had one of this for a while.

(Phil, if you're on here shoot me a PM!)

Shot it once or twice.

T'was enough!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Iskra, do you remember Michael458 from the AR forum? He developed the big B&M and MDM calibers. He's a big bore nut and Winchester lover. He had 3 of the 470 Capstick rifles, and bore sizes were all over the place. Apparently this is a known issue with them. I could get more info from him if needed.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Biebs
Iskra, do you remember Michael458 from the AR forum? He developed the big B&M and MDM calibers. He's a big bore nut and Winchester lover. He had 3 of the 470 Capstick rifles, and bore sizes were all over the place. Apparently this is a known issue with them. I could get more info from him if needed.

In his solid penetration test his 470 Capstick barrel was so large that it would not engrave the bullet

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
biebs & jwp respectively... I never particularly followed the AR Forum, so no, didn't see that bore diameter material! Also never heard of such problem. But then reiterating, I haven't followed that particular chambering or typically any of the super big-boys toys. That bore problem does sound weird! But, after you pass .45 caliber/thereabouts, quite possibly moving equipment & calibrations to extreme in ordinary sporting rifle context. Getting rapidly over my own head here!
I'd not necessarily expect 'rip roaring' accuracy from such chambering. But neither turning such large diameter bullets into the wild with a rifle of poor accuracy! If, on limited basis, Winchester lacked expertise or equipment to do a good job, I'd suppose they could quietly contract our.

Disappointing! And just for that... Maybe lack of huge animal species in my neighborhood too... I won't buy one! Neener, neener!

Merry Christmas & Stay Safe!
John

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Works now for me, thanks.

Not one of the "Big Five" series. I have a set and they are different than this rifle. Looks like a interesting rifle, with the multiple blade sights.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 300_savage, 30 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.