Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mjduct Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm on back order. I've got 6 months to think about this and wait =]

I would like to hear everyones thoughts on glass setup for this rifle. I am going to list my known variables, but I am also interested in figuring out my "Unknown Unknowns" from those with more experience with big bores.

MOUNTING:

-I'm kinda short, so I was thinking I would either need a straight tube scope or some extended mounts.

-Thinking about talley steel bases/ rings with quick release.

-Want scope mounted LOW, I think the talley steel bases still allow irons to be used on this rifle with the rings removed. If not someone please let me know.

-Trying to figure out if the standard bases would work or if I should go with an extended front or double extended. I am planning on leaving the irons on it.

OPTICS:

-Thinking about a low power variable. I like having a 1x or 1.5x or something low enough where I can see the end of the barrel on the low end.

-Want a very simple but versatile reticle. I really like the zeiss #4, but I also really like the trijicon triangle post.

-illumination is optional, but I see alot of scopes in this range come with it.

-Eye relief, looking for scopes around 4" or 100mm #1 I'm short, #2 this gun should be a little bit of a mover especialy when sighting in from the bench (am I off on this one)

-Want a tough scope, its going to be traveling in lots of vehicles, get bumped around in the woods, and take the recoil of a decently light 375 H&H. I have a few light kimber montanas in 30-06 and 300WSM that have killed a few leupold erectors. I don't want that to happen on this rifle.

-Want set and forget, I'm not dialing, I don't want FFP, honestly I don't care if sight in is a little time consuming because it doesn't adjust right as long as it locks in and holds it once its there, I'll be happy. (I've shot lots of nikons and leupolds, hence my low standards)

-As mentioned above I am thinking straight tube, but I could be convinced to go with a 32-42mm objective scope provided it meets the other criteria, and I have confidence I can mount it given the action length. Most of my current crop of 1.5-5x, 1.8-8x, 2-8x, 2-7x, 2.5-8x scopes on other rifles would be a stretch to fit.

With all this I'm about 50% on the way to ordering a Trijicon TR25 1-6x24 and I'm about half and half on using their triangle reticle or their #4, the #4 looks real good on paper, but I haven't been able to try one yet.

I have not had the opportunity to use any of the meoptas, or the newer zeiss offerings. Would like to keep it under 1K street price, I'm fine with looking used if necessary.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and input.

Last edited by Mjduct; 12/11/20.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

MOUNTING: -I'm kinda short, so I was thinking I would either need a straight tube scope or some extended mounts. (I went with extended mounts. Straight tube scopes don't seem to gather enough light.)

-Thinking about talley steel bases/ rings with quick release. ( I strted with leupold QR rings. I went to Quad Locks, Warne steel weaver bases)

-Trying to figure out if the standard bases would work or if I should go with an extended front or double extended. I am planning on leaving the irons on it.( many scopes reqire extended bases or rails.)

OPTICS:

-Thinking about a low power variable. I like having a 1x or 1.5x or something low enough where I can see the end of the barrel on the low end.(I tried a 1.75-6 Leupold with a heavy reticle at first. I am swithching to a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. I use them on most of my rifles and am used to them. They are plenty qick for me.)

-Want a very simple but versatile reticle. I really like the zeiss #4, but I also really like the trijicon triangle post. (Duplex or illuminated dot in a Duplex like on my AR.I like the same reticle on everything.)

-illumination is optional, but I see alot of scopes in this range come with it. (Nice if available)

-Want a tough scope, its going to be traveling in lots of vehicles, get bumped around in the woods, and take the recoil of a decently light 375 H&H. I have a few light kimber montanas in 30-06 and 300WSM that have killed a few leupold erectors. I don't want that to happen on this rifle. (The answer to that is likely a fixed power.)

-As mentioned above I am thinking straight tube, but I could be convinced to go with a 32-42mm objective scope provided it meets the other criteria, and I have confidence I can mount it given the action length. Most of my current crop of 1.5-5x, 1.8-8x, 2-8x, 2-7x, 2.5-8x scopes on other rifles would be a stretch to fit. (2.5-8x36-pass it on.)

With all this I'm about 50% on the way to ordering a Trijicon TR25 1-6x24 and I'm about half and half on using their triangle reticle or their #4, the #4 looks real good on paper, but I haven't been able to try one yet. (Good choice)

[/quote]

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
The Talkeetna I had, gave it to my son just recently, had Talley steel quick release bases and I was able to mount a Leupold 1.5-5x20 without extended bases if memory serves correctly. I don't have the rifle to look at now.

I never used my rifle hard while I had it, it never went on a hunt, so the Leupold survived the range sessions I had with it but I never fully trusted it. I have another 375 H&H, Winchester 70, and it also has a Leupold 1.5-5x20 on it and I am seriously considering replacing it with the exact scope you are looking at, the Trijicon 1-6x24, although I think I want the crosshair with the green dot. My research keeps coming back to the Trijicon's for a dangerous game rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Trijicon 1.25x4 with the triangle reticle on my current .375 and really like it. I had a Swaro 1x6 on my Model 70 .375 and was very happy with it. I sold the Model 70 and kept the scope for a .404 Jeff project that will probably never get finished

Who is John Galt?
Mjduct Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

(The answer to that is likely a fixed power.)

Funny thing is the 2 scopes that I've broken in my life were both Leupold FX-3 6x42's. I totally understand that is an anomoly, as they have less parts/ moving parts and should be more durable. But I thought it was funny enough to mention.

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Model 70 375 wears Warnes slotted steel bases with Warnes vertical split rings and a Leupold VX 6 1-6. Worked great in Africa and has 100's of rounds through it.

My Model 70 416 Remington is going to get the same. Have a Trijicon 1-6 waiting for it to come back from the smith.

Open sites are usable over the Warne steel slotted bases on both rifles.
If I was to do anything different on the 375, I might go to a slightly higher power scope topping out in the 9-10 power range. Which I may do after the 416 gets sorted out and go to the 270gr @ 2800fps instead of the 300gr @ 2500 fps.

Although the Talley's are great and repeatable. Even the lows are too high for me.

Last edited by CRS; 12/12/20.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Have a Nightforce NXS 1-4x24mm IHR reticle mounted in Talley screw lock detachable rings on my Dakota 375H&H. The bases are standard length not extended and I’m able to utilize the open sights with the scope removed.

I’ve had great experiences with Talley’s steel bases and detachable rings.

Mjduct Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HShunter36
Have a Nightforce NXS 1-4x24mm IHR reticle mounted in Talley screw lock detachable rings on my Dakota 375H&H. The bases are standard length not extended and I’m able to utilize the open sights with the scope removed.

I’ve had great experiences with Talley’s steel bases and detachable rings.

That would be a good setup. Too bad they discontinued that scope and the NXS 2.5-10X32 which was another great compact scope.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I run a compact Bushnell Elite 2-7x32 on my Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 Weatherby. Plenty of magnification for what I use it for, which is either buffalo hunting up close or stalking deer.

Cheers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.