Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
With 2020 being as crazy as it is, I was not expecting much of a hunting season. Well, I was wrong, turned out to be fantastic.

My first deer came on Sept 3rd archery season, I shot my first velvet buck. I have been trying for a few years since SD started opening archery season on Sept 1. Typically around here Sept 4 is when the velvet is gone, so I was cutting it pretty close.

Distance was 12 yards out of a ground blind. Bow was a Jack Kempf Wildcat with carbon limbs 47#@ 28, VAP 400 arrow with VPA 250 gr broadhead. He did not go more than 40 yards. He broke his right G2 and stripped a bunch of velvet when he fell. I could not save the velvet and ended up stripping it all off, boiling and bleaching everything white as a reminder of the experience.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Second deer of the year was my West River Prairie buck. Had seen this buck and another while out working on the ranch. We have been very diligent about management and pressure. Opening morning found me helping my 82 year old Dad with no luck. He is not not very mobile and has all the handicap permits. Amazing he is actually still hunting and able to get it done.

He did end up filling three doe tags and was ecstatic. He did miss one buck when the fever got the best of him.

I finally broke away from him and snuck into a bedding area. There were a bunch of mule deer in there and the rutting activity was off the chart. This buck finally broke away with a hot doe and bedded about 600 yards away. I made a big loop and came in on top of them. As I was crawling up, I saw antler tips. I got the binoculars on him and confirmed he was one of the bigger deer. They were only 60 yards aways and about 45 degrees down. As I reached back for my rifle and got ready, he spotted me. Before I could get a shot off, they were off. I swung to a sitting position, got settled and let out a bleat. The doe stopped to look back and the buck followed suit. The crosshairs settled and the gun went off. 180yards with my "LR" Model 70 270 WCF and 145gr ELD-X's and it was over.

My best mule deer buck to date and typical weak backs that we have seen on our place. 27" spread and was a tank of a deer. Best news is the other buck of similar size made it through the season. Someone in the family should have a great opportunity next year.

On to my Black Hills deer hunt. I have some friends that come out whenever they can draw a tag. This was the year! It had been a pretty rough fall for one of my friends with his wife passing away. Was really looking forward to spending some time with him. I had saved my tag specifically to hunt with them the end of November. I had no intentions of filling the tag, unless something good presented.

The first morning we made it to his favorite spot. I was along for company, an extra set of eyes and to do some rattling. It was a beautiful morning with the deer moving extremely well. Had already seen two bucks that my friend was not interested in.

Then it got interesting. Paul said "there's a buck"

Thinking it was one we had already seen, he did not get ready. We were facing opposite directions with our backs up against a tree. I was shielded by both Paul sitting on his stool and the Ponderosa. So I spun around to take a look. Brought the binoculars up with the buck only 60 yards away.

I immediately told Paul "you need to shoot that buck".

But he was caught wide open with his Marlin 35 Remington laying in his lap pointing the opposite direction.

He said "I can't".

About that time the buck knew something was up.

I then stated "one of us needs to shoot that deer"!

He stated again "I can't".

The buck then started moving off knowing something was not right.

I asked him "is it ok if I shoot him"?

He said "yes, please".

Since I was kneeling at the time, it was much easier for me to get into a shooting position. I brought the rifle up and used the tree as a rest. As I was doing that the buck stopped one last time trying to figure us out. The crosshairs settled and the gun went off.

The buck immediately showed signs of a good hit, ran off over the edge. After sitting for a few minutes to take in what had just happened, we went and found him plied up not more than 100 yards from where he was shot.

The rifle is a project gun I picked up here on the Fire. Husqvarna 1640 6.5x55 with an aftermarket 1:9 twist barrel in a Sako Hunter edge stock. I sent the rifle to Dennis Olson in MT to give it a go over and install a new bolt release that had been removed for some reason. Rifle is shooting 129gr Hornady Interlock at 2800fps plus. It has quickly become one of my favorite rifles for carrying and hunting.

Wishing everyone a Happy Holiday season and a fantastic 2021.

Arcus Venator
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on a great season! That last WT buck is a hammer.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congratulations, you had a great season.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
All highlights. But that Black Hills WT buck is positively giant. I've hunted the Wyoming side a bunch, had no idea bucks like that existed there. Did you score it?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Excellent season. Congrats!

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So Very Nice. Congrats.

Can I be your Friend ? grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd say you had a heckuva season !

That whitetail is the stuff dreams are made of.
Congrats !

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great deer. I agree, you had an awesome season

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow man, got some nice bone there!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
You had a great season.
Congratulations

IC B3

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chesterwy
All highlights. But that Black Hills WT buck is positively giant. I've hunted the Wyoming side a bunch, had no idea bucks like that existed there. Did you score it?

I have hunted the Black HIlls for close to 30 years (both WY and SD side) and have only taken two in that class. I have shot plenty of mature bucks, just not that class of headgear. This buck was missing his two front teeth and the molars were pretty worn.

Best part was hunting with a friend and honestly wish he would have been able to put his tag on him.

I did not score him.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Outstanding season you had sir!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had a buck on the wrong side of me this year with the rifle going the wrong direction. I'm right handed but shouldered it left handed and shot the buck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, very nice!

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow man that’s an incredible season right there that is a darn nice West River mulie and that Black Hills whitetail is a real trophy as well!

Great pics sounds like yer freezer overfloweth wink !

Ps- love the rifle/cartridge combo too!

Last edited by efw; 12/24/20. Reason: Ps
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! Congrats on a great season and some very nice bucks!! Well done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was a great season.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Awesome deer! Thanks for sharing.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for all the kind comments.

As the saying goes, a blind pig finds an acorn every once in awhile. grin I just happened to find three this year.

I truly had a wonderful season and fully understand how fortunate I was. The last 10 years or so has been pretty rough where I hunt and the deer are finally rebounding from EHD and a series of tough winters. Last winter was mild, and so far this winter has been extremely mild. Expecting 55 degrees tomorrow for Christmas.

Already looking forward to enjoying next season. We have been seeing some nice bucks that made it through the season and should be very nice next year. Not midwest monsters, just nice mature bucks.

It is amazing the satisfaction I have been getting the last few years from just being out hunting. No pressure, no hard core drive, just plain enjoyment and good things have been happening.

The freezer is full and have been having a great time testing Eileen's sausage and jerky recipes. Sampling a new sausage recipe in the morning and making another batch of jerky. With family here, I have plenty of willing taste testers. Cannot think of of a better way to spend Christmas than with family and sharing the harvest.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great bucks CRS! 2020 may have sucked but your hunting seasons sure didnt!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.