Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've been pondering different ways to stop the bullets from seizing to the case necks. WD40 goes on wet and the liquid agent dries leaving a thin dry film. I'm wondering if using a qtip to apply a thin film inside the case neck and allowing the agent to dry before priming and loading the case would help? I realize the bullet seizure is a small problem in reality but would it help or hurt?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Imperial Sizing Wax.

(WD40 would not be in the running)

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is what I use.I start with a clean case that has been in my tumbler,lube the inside of the necks with powdered graphite,load cases and seat bullets.Never had an issue since.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Imperial Dry Case Neck Lube works well.

A shooting buddy of mine is compelled to make his brass super clean and shiny. He'll use case neck brushes to remove every trace of GSR (gun shot residue) his word,
He seems to have more trouble with his loads than he should, especially the loads from a year or two ago that's fused the bullet to the case neck.

Being too clean can't hurt, right?

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've thought about rinsing bullets in a strong solution of Turtle Wax's "Zip Wax" and letting them dry before storage. I haven't tried it though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I brush out the inside of the neck with a stiff brush dipped in motor mica or white mica, from Ballistic Product supplies and others. No sticking or verdigris and I think it might improve bullet pull uniformity. I also will use Hornaday one shot lube and only wipe it off the outside. Some but not all bullets get tumbled with wax, usually micro crystalline or carnuba, this can be done as a retro fit, but other than keeping the bullets looking pretty the other methods work just fine.

WD40 gets sticky, graphite attracts moisture unless in an oil base. JB beats the problem by not cleaning the necks of carbon fouling, works for me too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is the time frame for a bullet to start the seizing process?

Ed
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What is the problem here? Do some of these loads produce higher pressures over this issue?

I have and continue to use handloaded ammo that I have loaded over a decade ago, and some much longer than that. I’ve never had a problem, but then I’ve never checked for “seizing.”

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Outside of a quick pass with a nylon case neck brush I do not clean the inside of any case necks and Ive never had any issues with bullet "seizing".

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by colodog
Imperial Dry Case Neck Lube works well.

A shooting buddy of mine is compelled to make his brass super clean and shiny. He'll use case neck brushes to remove every trace of GSR (gun shot residue) his word,
He seems to have more trouble with his loads than he should, especially the loads from a year or two ago that's fused the bullet to the case neck.

Being too clean can't hurt, right?

I know you say that tongue in cheek, but we all know the inside of the case necks being too clean is said to promote the bullet seizing issue you hear about. I have never had an issue, so it is very foreign to me. You guys can carry on with your bad selves though.. Hopefully you figure out what you are doing wrong..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Imperial Sizing Wax.

(WD40 would not be in the running)

X2

On cases that a Lee Collet Neck Sizer is used (and therefore no lube) I’ve never had issues, as I don’t clean residue from necks.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Whenever my bullets seize, I roll them over on their side and grab a-hold of their tongues till they calm down.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I never load virgin or cleaned cases for ammo that will be around for awhile.

Fired brass, not cleaned is the way to go. That carbon inside the neck is a good thing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Campfire brings up a lot of issues that I never seem to have heard of or experienced...

in my case: Ignorance is bliss?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
The Campfire brings up a lot of issues that I never seem to have heard of or experienced...

in my case: Ignorance is bliss?

So when the the military finds out about this issue, they will have to pull all the bullets and scrape the bullet sealant off?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The sealant is preventing the metal to metal contact.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
The sealant is preventing the metal to metal contact.

The neck sealant used in US military ammunition "seizes" the bullets so tightly that in order to pull the bullets you have to seat the bullets deeper, to break the seal, before pulling.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've shot a few green cans of LC ammo and I'm familiar with what the sealant does. It's still a different mechanism.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
I've shot a few green cans of LC ammo and I'm familiar with what the sealant does. It's still a different mechanism.

Friend of mine used to say "everybody is squirrelly about something, some more than others, about different things".

I am as squirrelly as anyone else, I clean primer pockets and weigh powder charges when everybody knows it doesn't matter. But I guess I am with Seafire on this one, I can't quite figure out what the issue is here?

If all the necks are "seized" you get the same effect as military neck sealant, very high but consistent bullet pulls. Some "seized" and some not, yielding inconsistent bullet pulls/neck tension thereby causing a poor hit on something the size of a Big Game animal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 40 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.