Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking to buy a Concentricity Gauge. Which one should I get? Leaning toward Sinclair as it looks like a nice simple tool to do the job. Other options I should be looking at?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Forster tool also measures neck thickness, but for measuring TIR I prefer the Sinclair tool.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I like the Sinclair

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had a Sinclair runout gauge for a long time. It's probably the least used tool on the bench, but it's of good quality like all Sinclair stuff and is very quick and simple to operate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sinclair and you may want to buy a TruAngle gadget to straighten a case.

There will be someone to come along and say if you reload straight to begin with you don't need these gadgets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak

There will be someone to come along and say if you reload straight to begin with you don't need these gadgets.

You should be loading straight ammo to begin with. If not, there is something wrong with your equipment or process. A concentricity gauge is a very useful tool for checking to be sure what you are producing is nice and straight.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Looking to buy a Concentricity Gauge. Which one should I get? Leaning toward Sinclair as it looks like a nice simple tool to do the job. Other options I should be looking at?

Truth be told, I also followed advice from here and purchased the Sinclair,
I did not care for it, Too many things to hold on to and try to keep in place. I sold it at a loss,

My next one will be a 21st Century, twice the price, 4 times the quality.

buy once, cry once.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Size and seat straight ammo to begin with.......... smile

I have the early Sinclair (without the bumps on the v-blocks), the later Sinclair, and the RCBS. I use the RCBS the most.

I would have thought the bumps on the Sinclair would be easier to spin the case, but it really doesn't seem to make a difference.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Accuracy One Accuracy One

I think this is their new website: Bullet Tipping

it uses a dial test indicator which is the best way to measure for run-out. It is also based on a Universal Punch concentricity gage which costs $1500 and up that machine-shops and manufacturers will buy/use. I bought one a couple years ago, zero complaints

[Linked Image from accurateshooter.net]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sackett

it uses a dial test indicator which is the best way to measure for run-out. It is also based on a Universal Punch concentricity gage which costs $1500 and up that machine-shops and manufacturers will buy/use. I bought one a couple years ago, zero complaints

[Linked Image from accurateshooter.net]

And the handloading game continues to become more sophisticated--and expensive.......

But that is a cool tool that addresses some things about measuring concentricity.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by centershot

Truth be told, I also followed advice from here and purchased the Sinclair,
I did not care for it, Too many things to hold on to and try to keep in place. I sold it at a loss,

My next one will be a 21st Century, twice the price, 4 times the quality.

buy once, cry once.

Yes most of the tools 21st Century makes are very nice but to me it sounds like you didn't know how to use the Sinclair, it works nicely and no problem with the quality

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by sackett

And the handloading game continues to become more sophisticated--and expensive.......

But that is a cool tool that addresses some things about measuring concentricity.

But for 300 bucks....it isn't too too bad. I also have the Co-Ax concentricity gage and it was a waste of money.

We used the $1500 gages I mentioned at work and this concentricity gage works in the same principle/idea is is very accurate. You don't touch the part/cartridge with your hands/fingers

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Buy one that is inexpensive and easy to use. No need to further complicate things. You just need to check the run-out of your loaded ammo. I bought my concentricity gauge second hand at a LGS. Cost $50.00, but was well worth it. After buying it, I found out some of my dies were not set up optimally to produce straight ammo. Its probably one of the best pieces of reloading equipment I've spent my money on:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A means of checking runout is a great diagnostic tool.

Check a piece of fired brass. You'll find out about your chamber.

Size a piece of brass without the expander in place. Check the runout on the neck. You'll know about your size die.

Size a piece of brass with the expander in place, or post expansion by another method. Check the runout on the neck. You'll know what your bullets will be seated into.

Seat a bullet in a piece of straight brass. Check the runout on the bullet. You'll know how well your seater works with the particular bullet you've chosen.

These are all based on the assumption that the brass itself isn't really bad.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Accuracy One and 21st Century use the ideal type of dial test indicator. The vertical plunger/probe type is not very good for measuring runout because of cosine error.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Also, while the gauges mentioned on this page so far will measure the concentricity of various parts of the brass and the bullet seated in the neck, what is substantially more important in the results is the concentricity of the jacket and core. This cannot be measured with a dial test indicator. Vern Juenke made internal bullet concentricity comparators to detect variations in the thickness of jackets. These machines have been used by competitors, but I believe most people have come to depend on the bullet companies like Berger and Lapua to deliver bullets with sufficient internal concentricity for their intended purpose. Because Berger, for example, does a pretty good job, measuring internal concentricity may not be very important. So while I asserted that this concentricity may be the most important kind, we don't necessarily have to check it or measure it because we can take it for granted if we buy the right bullets. There may still be some advantage to sorting bullets with a Vern Juenke machine, particularly for longer ranges. Winners in King of 2 Miles use lathe-turned solid bullets where there is no chance of the jacket and core being internally lopsided.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 12/25/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Alas, all is futility.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been happy with my Sinclair tool. I didn't care for the Bonanza tool.

lightman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak

True

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.