Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
No mention of the Yamaha Kodiak so far on this thread. A year or two back Yamaha dropped the 450 Grizzly and only offer that size in the Kodiak now, but it does get good reviews for a mid size ATV. While we could replace the '09 400 Polaris Sportsman with something, there is no way that we would need something 700cc for the trail riding that we do.

Pop had a Kodiak 450 for years. It skidded logs and hauled stuff all over the place. Great machine. Zero issues.

It’s what I would get.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw this thread and had to reply since nobody seems to have been on a Rincon.

I have owned Grizzly's and Kodiak's and they are fine presently I have a couple Kawi's and like them.
A couple years ago a friend of mine wanted me to help him on an Elk hunt, he said "lets just take my ATV's", he had 2 Rincon's.
We went on a very steep trail that gained about 4000ft in elevation, I was not very impressed with the power for being a 675cc motor, most other brands 500's have more power but we made it.
The real eye opener was coming back down. every other brand but Honda has engine braking that's why they have the clutch's and belt, Honda has some fancy transmission with virtually no engine braking and to make matters worse the Rincon has truly ungodly horrible brakes. It truly took 4 times longer to come down than to go up because we had to stop every 15min to let the brakes cool enough to continue, would not have been an issue with any other brand of machine. A true pile of junk. hard to believe that Honda could miss the mark so badly.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I saw this thread and had to reply since nobody seems to have been on a Rincon.

I have owned Grizzly's and Kodiak's and they are fine presently I have a couple Kawi's and like them.
A couple years ago a friend of mine wanted me to help him on an Elk hunt, he said "lets just take my ATV's", he had 2 Rincon's.
We went on a very steep trail that gained about 4000ft in elevation, I was not very impressed with the power for being a 675cc motor, most other brands 500's have more power but we made it.
The real eye opener was coming back down. every other brand but Honda has engine braking that's why they have the clutch's and belt, Honda has some fancy transmission with virtually no engine braking and to make matters worse the Rincon has truly ungodly horrible brakes. It truly took 4 times longer to come down than to go up because we had to stop every 15min to let the brakes cool enough to continue, would not have been an issue with any other brand of machine. A true pile of junk. hard to believe that Honda could miss the mark so badly.

I’ve never owned a Rincon but have owned many Honda’s and every one of them was an excellent machine. Keep in mind the Rincon is basically still the same machine it was when it was first designed almost 20yrs ago. This is strictly the fault of Honda but hard to compare apples to apples versus some of the newer machines.

G
G
I'm a die hard Honda guy, but even I would choose the grizzly. Lack of a low range on the Rincon is its biggest downside. I would opt for a Rubicon over a Rincon. Between the 2 you ask, grizzly all day long. Both are dependable, but the grizzly has more power and better features.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Rincon was a beast. Used mostly for flooded fields. I don't trail ride. Its a 2007 and still being used by the guy I sold it too.

Grizzlies in our hunt camp always seemed tempermental. Might just be the guys who own them.

I would of kept my Rincon but wanted a SxS.

IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Normally a hard core Honda guy but recently observed same issues re shifting on Rincon owned by my wife’s Uncle. Enough of an issue that I would not purchase a Rincon for my own use. I currently own a Honda Rancher ATV and Pioneer UTV which I’m well pleased with but again I would not purchase a Rincon FWIW.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I let a friend ride my 700 grizzly and he sold the Honda the next week and purchased a Grizzly .

Lack of low range on the Honda and better engine braking on the Yamaha are a big consideration .

I would never buy another ATV without power steering .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.