Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
If sound suppressors were unregulated and available fort purchase in the same manner as any non serialized accessory.... Would 5.56mm remain king of the black rifle calibers?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would say yes. Only because of ammo availability.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ringworm
If sound suppressors were unregulated and available fort purchase in the same manner as any non serialized accessory.... Would 5.56mm remain king of the black rifle calibers?

What do you think would pass it up?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If suppressors were "over the counter".... I'd avoid I-75

abusus non tollit usum
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by night_owl

WTF does that mean?

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He lives near Atlanta?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kota
Originally Posted by night_owl

WTF does that mean?

Sounds like another idiot on the fire. The reason I"m not around this dump much anymore.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don’t see how it would have an effect? Shooting suppressed makes most calibers more “comfortable” the only times it makes me smile is subsonic, so .300BO in my case. Rimfire more so. It’s hard to shoot a .22lr unsuppressed now.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
in all effect i figured Trump would make suppressors otc come his 2nd term.................but that plan was busted as bad as i hate it.
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
.223/5.56 is such a versatile cartridge I don’t see how suppressors would have any impact. Any cartridge is going to be loud with bullets coming out of a 16” barrel. The only way around it would be subsonics and with that you loose most of the versatility and limit your range.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I've never really understood the popularity of 300BO subsonic. Maybe I'm too old but back in the day, we used to call a 210gr bullet at 1000 heavy loaded 45ACP.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
.223/5.56 is such a versatile cartridge I don’t see how suppressors would have any impact. Any cartridge is going to be loud with bullets coming out of a 16” barrel. The only way around it would be subsonics and with that you loose most of the versatility and limit your range.

Guess you don't understand how cans work. The faster the round is the louder. Shorter the barrel too I suppose BUT you don't have to limit to subs to be quiet.

We run supersonic in Creedmoor all the time and folks on the lease are constantly texting, did you shoot, where were you etc....

If they were over the counter I can't think of a gun we own that wouldn't have one for it basically. I'm sure I could come up with a few but they just are a plus all the way around.

I was in a stand taking a friend to shoot a buck. I'd forgotten how flipping loud a 270 can be... ears hurt for a few hours after that....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I've never really understood the popularity of 300BO subsonic. Maybe I'm too old but back in the day, we used to call a 210gr bullet at 1000 heavy loaded 45ACP.

30 rounds on tap in my AR pistol vs 7 in the 1911.

I wasn't ever in a gunfight wishing I had less ammo, so I do understand.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by goalie

If I'm in a gunfight, my AR ain't going to be a subsonic 300, it's going to be 5.56.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If I'm in a gunfight, my AR ain't going to be a subsonic 300, it's going to be 5.56.

I've shot an M16 inside. I don't plan on doing the 5.56 thing again indoors.

And for home defense, my 300BO AR>pistol or shotgun.

So, I've got a 300BO pistol next to me in the closet.

Now, for "on the roof" I've got a 6920 and a bolt 22 with a can......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

How many animals have you shot subsonic with the blackout? I"ve a lot. And a lot with the 223. Whichever is handier is good enough and better than a pistol or a shotgun

Though inside if I had to have a shotgun a semi 12 with mini rounds could give one a decent feeling. No mags at least.

And that said for the part of not shooting the AR in the house. Lets just say for most it will never even come close to having to happen. But if it does its extremely unlikely you will ever HAVE to do it more than once. IE I"ll still grab whats handy. Though the inside house AR usually is suppressed most of the year.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

Guess you don't understand how cans work. The faster the round is the louder. Shorter the barrel too I suppose BUT you don't have to limit to subs to be quiet.

We run supersonic in Creedmoor all the time and folks on the lease are constantly texting, did you shoot, where were you etc....

If they were over the counter I can't think of a gun we own that wouldn't have one for it basically. I'm sure I could come up with a few but they just are a plus all the way around.

I was in a stand taking a friend to shoot a buck. I'd forgotten how flipping loud a 270 can be... ears hurt for a few hours after that....

I miss wrote. I meant to write that I don’t see how over the counter cans would have any impact on making the 5.56 less popular

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
OTC cans would definitely make 300blk more popular. If you owned one you would understand why. Super 223 vs 300 is noticeably different with 300blk being way more pleasant to shoot. Subsonic 300blk is a thing of beauty for plinking. Not exactly great for hunting

Would it displace 223. Probably not

Not that any of this conversation even matters since Democrat’s have a super majority

22lr. So nice that once you go suppressed it’s hard to shoot unsuppressed with it like jack said. Hollywood quiet

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And that said for the part of not shooting the AR in the house. Lets just say for most it will never even come close to having to happen. But if it does its extremely unlikely you will ever HAVE to do it more than once. IE I"ll still grab whats handy. Though the inside house AR usually is suppressed most of the year.

Like I said, I've shot an M16 indoors. It sucked and I have tinnitus, but it beat the alternate.

So, for me, what's "handy" is an AR pistol with a can.

Or a Glock with a can.

wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Like I said, I've shot an M16 indoors. It sucked and I have tinnitus, but it beat the alternate.

Or a Glock with a can.

wink

Peltor ComTacs are next to the other items on my nightstand. I like my hearing, and the enhanced hearing they offer is even better.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ringworm

I think 5.56 would still be popular but also think subsonic calibers would be more popular, specifically 9mm and 45acp and probably 300 blackout

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think 556 would remain the standard, works well suppressed or not. I think over the counter cans would increase sales on short barrels and braces though.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wish my Remington 600 6mm was suppressed when my buddy riding shotgun in my single cab C10 swiveled right and backed up to me to shoot a coyote...I don't think the muzzle was clear of the door. Our ears were ringing for days.

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

Or a Glock with a can.

wink

Peltor ComTacs are next to the other items on my nightstand. I like my hearing, and the enhanced hearing they offer is even better.

Life and death instantly and you going to put on ear muffs?

Sound like my inlaws. Always bragging about they gonna win. I hollered the other day, coming up the drive... get em. Make believe. He didn't have a gun on him or within reach.

Then the feral cat shows up they want gone so I says give me a rifle its out of 9mm range... Not that he had a 9 but wife and I are never unarmed. Nope. Couldn't find a rifle sighted in and ammo fast enough. Gave me a shotgun and then dug around for ammo.. bird shot. Should have given that back to him...

putting muffs on is a good theory. And sometimes you might have time so I get the fact why you have em. That said don't waste time if its your life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Life and death instantly and you going to put on ear muffs?

Sound like my inlaws. Always bragging about they gonna win. I hollered the other day, coming up the drive... get em. Make believe. He didn't have a gun on him or within reach.

Then the feral cat shows up they want gone so I says give me a rifle its out of 9mm range... Not that he had a 9 but wife and I are never unarmed. Nope. Couldn't find a rifle sighted in and ammo fast enough. Gave me a shotgun and then dug around for ammo.. bird shot. Should have given that back to him...

putting muffs on is a good theory. And sometimes you might have time so I get the fact why you have em. That said don't waste time if its your life.

Lots of truth in that.

My ears ring today from shooting a .357 magnum inside a small cabin where other guns were being fired.

What are you gonna do?

Call "Time Out" so you can put your hearing protection on?

Some people don't have a clue. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think someone is selling 80% suppressors...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

30 on tap.

Easier hits with SBR/pistol AR than handgun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

30 on tap.

Easier hits with SBR/pistol AR than handgun.

I don't understand it in an AR???

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Muffin; 03/01/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I think someone is selling 80% suppressors...

Yeah, if you don't have a Form 1 approved, you'll only spend 10 years in the federal pen... eek

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

A 5.56/.223 is damn near pleasurable coming out of a can. Silencers have made me never want to shoot without one again...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

wink

HUH?

Semper Fi

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.